The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Google Streetview - Now covering 95% of the UK!

dseagull

• RMweb Gold

Our house is suitably misleading on Streetview with a near builder's site of a front garden, builder's notice on the security fence and the previous car (which was sold just over a year ago) on the drive.

Google's satellite view of our previous house is very dateable from the various neighbours cars parked on, or off, the road. It was a couple of years old when they first put it up on the site but that seems common as our present house doesn't even appear on the satellite view of our road and it has been here - at least in cleared ground form - for nearly 5 years!

And now - it's in 3D!

The little google guy has sprouted 3D glasses! It does work, but it's fairly subtle. I think it's a sort of fake 3D. Whether it'll stay after today, I don't know.

You mean after April the first?

• RMweb Premium

How do you get your place deleted please? I'd like to do the same.

36E

to get your house deleted go to the offending image then click on

• "report a problem" on the bottom left side of the picture near the copyright logo.

• a new web page will open and you will have to chose from
    • Privacy Concerns
    • Inappropriate Content
    • Other

[*]you then need to describe the problem and enter your email address[*]finally you need to focus the red outline in the picture over the offending area[*]complete the now obligatory spam stopper word game?

within a short while you will get an email from google saying they will look into the issue, and if up held the offending image will be removed.

it took about 24 hours for mine to be removed.

you may need to repeat this process for photos from different angles.

hope this helps

Steve

Just thinking about image removal. Fair enough, have your own house removed, but the image includes a lot of other stuff too. I'm happy for my house to be on there, and similarly, if I had a business which was next to, near, a removed location, I'm suddenly missing, suddenly not able to be found.

From what I've seen of removed images, it is an entire image - the image isn't edited to black out a section. For a householder if it's not on there it's not a big issue, but for a business it could be. The fact Streetview is able to locate a particular address and show it is it's power (and the point of it), so for a business if it disappears because a neighbour doesn't want their own picture on there is a little unfair I feel. Indeed, some homeowners might like the fact they can point out their location so easily. Same goes for giving people directions, and so on. I know the estate agents are going to lap this up because all their websites are awash with satellite images as it is.

Just a thought. Nothing malicious!

How do you get your place deleted please? I'd like to do the same.

36E

I'm of the opinion that the deleting of street views is a tad meaningless because there will still be excellent high resolution aerial photos available, they don't get deleted. :rolleyes:

Besides, if you are looking for the big, big money, via a bit of late night nastiness, what better way to find it, then to travel along looking for holes in streetview?

"My, that cottage in streetview has been deleted, surely there must be something there for a malchick to crast..."

Totally agree, the Courts confirm it's quite legal in the U.K. to photograph street views,(with many legal exceptions, Security and Crown property, Private roads etc.), and houses do not normally advertise themselves as anything unusual in normal life, but withdrawal from street view does instantly advertise something is unusual and may well potentially attract attention.

Also withdrawal reduces the effectiveness of others using the system legitimately, it is increasingly being used to assess areas to move to etc., and even checking business addresses.

Should you want to sell a house it may be difficult to get the view restored, and buyers might not bother to view if unavailable, moving on to viewable houses.

People do like privacy, but your house is open to view and observation legitimately anyway, so what possible advantage is gained from a blocked street view?

Stephen.

My parents' house is on. They live at a crossroads and were having the roof resprayed when the car was around so the photos on the east-west road have the house with one colour roof, and on the north-south pass it has a different colour roof! :)

My Dad's in one of the photos.

• 2 weeks later...

quite spooky for me,

Im on google street view outside my old freind Jimmy Carlins house, I used to visit him quite regular, some of you will know him from exhibiting at model railway shows over the years.

this must be at least a year old as sadly he passed away not so long ago, and also my old car is in shot.

menjimmyongooglestreetview.jpg

Mike

My girlfriend is outside our house, shutting the garage door. One of our cats can also be seen inside the window, sitting on the sofa. Our blue wheelie bin also makes a guest appearance, sitting at the end of the path waiting to be emptied (must have been a Friday).

Further down the road, I'm fairly sure it's my car going past as I remember seeing the camera car last year and excitedly/pathetically telling everyone about it!

My Dad's car is on Google Street View! Although as he's no great fan of motoring and only uses it when absolutely necessary, not that surprising that it happened to be on the drive at the time.

Edit: My house is on there too, but alas nothing interesting to be seen.

David

Archived