RMweb

More Pre-Grouping Wagons in 4mm - the D299 appreciation thread.

When expecting we were debating the name of our future child the subject of middle names for a boy came up. I wanted to use my late grandfathers name wheras my partner wanted to continue her family tradition of using the name McDonald. 

As a compromise it was proposed that we could use both until we realised that mean the child's middle names would be "Ronald McDonald".

Ultimately all pointless as we had a girl anyway!

• Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Just to stick with a (vaguely) Railway theme, my uncle Sid served an apprenticeship at Crewe and ended his career as senior mechanical inspector on the East African Railways.

My great uncle Sid was born in 1895. He too worked for the LNWR, in the goods department at Aston or Windsor Street, I inferred from the 1921 census. Somewhere I've got a rather splendid safety certificate of his, illustrated with photos of LNWR engines etc.; the irony being that he had a deformed finger, which he had caught between two wagon buffers.

He claimed to remember seeing 2-2-2s of the Lady of the Lake class, which I was sceptical of as a teenager, although as the last one went in 1907, it's possible.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

senior mechanical inspector on the East African Railways

Just to add a side-burrow to this rabbit-hole, my Dad in his flying days (he was an airline navigator) befriended the EAR shed master at Nairobi, and one time I went out with him for a few days of Kenyan train spotting when I was about 13.

Slide__00086.jpg.3f396243eb9b9a21d4d5e39042fd0b7f.jpg

Somewhat OT, I know, but hey - those Garratt's were in MR livery, near enough...

Nick.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Aire Head said:

When expecting we were debating the name of our future child the subject of middle names for a boy came up. I wanted to use my late grandfathers name wheras my partner wanted to continue her family tradition of using the name McDonald. 

As a compromise it was proposed that we could use both until we realised that mean the child's middle names would be "Ronald McDonald".

Ultimately all pointless as we had a girl anyway!

In a slight Scottish variation, my favourite name as a kid was always Glenn (long story, but partly because I was a big fan of the pianist Glenn Gould an dI used to imagine being called Glenn, until one day someone pointed out that I'd sound like a scotch whisky - Glen Levin 🙄😁...

• Like 6
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, magmouse said:

Slide__00086.jpg.3f396243eb9b9a21d4d5e39042fd0b7f.jpg

Somewhat OT, I know, but hey - those Garratt's were in MR livery, near enough...

I’ve got a builders’ plate from one of them on the wall of my railway room.

Dave

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I’ve got a builders’ plate from one of them on the wall of my railway room.

Dave

Nice! I have a number plate from a 24 class - number 2412, which my Dad got via the shed master he was friendly with.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, drduncan said:

Anyone planning to attend expoEM on Sunday and fancy a cuppa and chat?

Duncan

I shall be there on Saturday from early to likely mid-afternoon. I am replacing you at the Isle of Wight show on Sunday but I suspect we would recognise each other(!)  - remove the red fleece and I could be @Compound2632 too from an appearance perspective . . . 

Edited by Andy Vincent
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 24/04/2023 at 22:14, WFPettigrew said:

Curious to know what's next?

As for the other discussion above, I personally would rather have brass for axleguards and brake rigging, both for looks and (whisper it quietly) comparative ease of assmbly by soldering. 

All the best

Neil 

I am very behind in answering this question, so I had better do it now before it becomes academic!!

New at expoEM are (all lengths 'customary', all 6'11" internal width):

Internal bracing: 15ft 7 plank with end door (pin fastening - applies to all end door versions), 16ft 7 plank with end door, 16ft 4 plank side door with curved ends

External bracing: 15ft 7 plank with side door, 15ft, 7 plank with end door, 16ft 7 plank with side door, 16ft 7 plank with end door

All end door versions have nickel silver rod supplied for the pivot bar. That takes it to 13 Gloucester variations (not a reference to composers of any name or sex!). Next will be a selection of wider wagons (7'4" for Gloucester, 7'6" for RCH 1907 and others) including 16'6" length. With something completely different also being planned . . . !

I will be lurking around expoEM on Saturday (most frequently at the Brassmasters stand and around SHMRC's Eastwood).

Edited by Andy Vincent
Added pivot bar details
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, magmouse said:

Nice! I have a number plate from a 24 class - number 2412, which my Dad got via the shed master he was friendly with.

Do you remember the Shedmaster’s name?

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Combining the discussion of interesting names and wagons, I do like this:

gettyimages-3138570-2048x2048.jpg.ed555b1f0a2125e1e5e561263296f9a8.jpg

Caption: "19th October 1918: A lorry trailer belonging to James Schoolbred and Co of Tottenham Court Road, London is carried on a goods wagon at Nine Elms goods yard and rail depot.". Source: Getty Images, embedding permitted.

Note also MR wagon in the background.

• Like 15

38 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

interesting names and wagons

Shoolbred, not the caption's 'Schoolbred': (credited with being) London's first department store on what my mother-in-law always described as the Tottering Court Road.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Do you remember the Shedmaster’s name?

Sadly not - my Dad would have, but he's no longer around to ask. I have a vague feeling he was Scottish, with a name to match - not much of a clue!

Nick.

9 hours ago, Andy Vincent said:

New at expoEM

Thanks Andy.

So just to clarify, are all those out now Glos ones, with some other makers to come in the future batches?

Reason for asking: I cannot justify too many Glos wagons in my fleet as there were many builders closer to Furness metals that were far more frequently used up here. 

All the best

Neil 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, WFPettigrew said:

Reason for asking: I cannot justify too many Glos wagons in my fleet as there were many builders closer to Furness metals that were far more frequently used up here. 

All the best

Neil 

Beadman's supplied several PO's to the Furness area if you are interested I could post the details if you want. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Such consideration is laudable. I know of a Mr & Mrs Earp who named their second son Wyatt – he lives next door to me. And yes, we do have a Doc Holliday in the village as well.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, WFPettigrew said:

That comment might be timely: I ruminated with the Brassmasters' team today on the best strategy for wagons beyond Gloucester. An attractive option is to pick some specifics (either trader or builder) and provide those. @Compound2632 who I chatted to whilst admiring Pulborough, mentioned Stephenson Clarke. Charles Roberts and Thomas Burnett as well as Ince would be obvious builders, but if you or others would like to nominate some traders or builders as candidates then this would be a good time!

+ @jamie92208 now that I have caught up on posts!

Edited by Andy Vincent
Added jamie92208 mention
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, wagonman said:

Such consideration is laudable. I know of a Mr & Mrs Earp who named their second son Wyatt – he lives next door to me. And yes, we do have a Doc Holliday in the village as well.

That's reminded me: when I was a kid, I met another kid - friend of some friends, so I didn't know him well or for longer than a day spent at the mutual friends' house - who was called John F. Kennedy! English / British kid, no direct American connection, this would have been in the mid 1970s and we were about 10.

I still very clearly remember asking him what the 'F' stood for and his refusing to tell me and appearing to be rather offended that I'd asked; I think it was perhaps the first time I upset someone without really understanding why - well, someone to whom I wasn't related... 🙄.

Kids...

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Beadman's supplied several PO's to the Furness area if you are interested I could post the details if you want. 

Jamie

That's not a company I have come across in my research into Furness PO wagons. More details please.

Marc

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, MarcD said:

That's not a company I have come across in my research into Furness PO wagons. More details please.

Marc

They were a little known company in Keighley that existed from about 1876 to 1964.  I'm currently researching the for a potential article in the Midland Railway Journal. I think that their bread and butter work was repairs but I know that they built 225 wagons that were registered by the Midland.  No one has yet found any photos of a Beadman wagon.  I'm in touch with two great granddaughters of the founder.  I now have a list of all their customers on Midland metals but can't find photos of any of them. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Re my Beadman research.  I've just looked at the Lightmoor Press PO index again and am quite happy to cross reference it to my Beadman spreadsheet.  It refers to many books that I don't have access to over here in France.  If I do some cross referencing and put references for various possibilities on here would any of you be willing to scan and email photos. Most of Bill Hudson's  photos are from the Charles Roberts collection but other books may well use other sources.  A lot of the companies bought wagons from several builders but l have most of the running numbers of the Beadman ones.  Any offers of help would be much appreciated.  I hope that Stephen doesn't mind the thread drift. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3