LMS Standard Underframe

I haven't got access to my Jenkserry books at the moment and I'm puzzling about which side of a carriage had the battery box, if indeed it was consistent.  I have looked at quite a few photos and I thought I'd cracked it for side corridor stock, but then decided I hadn't.  Even if I had enough photos of vestibule (open) stock I wouldn't have clue which side I was looking at unless it was a brake vehicle.

Enlightenment sought, thanks.

Battery box on corridor side based on pics in Jenks Historic Carriage Drawings.

If you have access to very old MRJs, Mike Clark did a two part article on "Late LMS Coaches" in #s 48 and 49 (from ~ 1991).  Part 2 has some very useful underframe drawings showing the differences between regular and brake coaches (there are some additional gubbins under the brake for the hand brake gear).

John

Thank you, John.

I thought it was corridor side as a rule, but then some photos seemed to indicate otherwise.

I haven't got those articles and I don't think the club library keeps MRJ.  I have your BRMCA articles saved, they'll help.

The other option is stick the battery and regulator boxes on with blu-tak and wait to be told I've got it wrong.

• RMweb Gold

I thought the general (but possibly not universal) rule was battery boxes on the corridor side (presumably for reasons of weight distribution) but, like you, I have no idea if there was any convention applied to open stock. 

John

• RMweb Premium

Historic Carriage Drawings in 4mm scale Vol 1 LMS & LNER by David Jenkinson & Nick Campling ISBN 0 7110 0053 0

Says on Page 1

Battery Boxes

Generally only one, located as shown. There was no hard & fast rule as to which side of the coach it was placed, but the following arrangements seem to have been the most common:

a, Pre-Stanier side corridor coaches usually had the battery box on the compartment side.

b, Stanier type side corridor coaches usually had the battery box on the corridor side.

c, Other than the above types, brake ended coaches were usually arranged with the brake end to the left of the battery box when looking at the side with the battery box fitted.

So there you have it - a classic non answer! No specific mention of open stock AT ALL, and lots of 'seems to be the most common' and 'usually'. So you need a photo or plan of each type.

Or ask on the LMS Coaching Stock group in Special Interests on RMweb.

Archived