low height coal wagons on the southern

47606odin

heres something i have not been able to find out.

i model live steam so i want to build a model coal wagon to go behind a tank loco. unfortunately due to modellers requirement for decent steaming the backhead of the boiler has been extended right back near to the back of the cab. this produces the issue of having no room to get my shovel in to fire the loco if i try to run with a 16t mineral wagon. so i need a lower wagon to allow access for firing. i currently have a flat wagon and use a bread tin to keep the coal in, but i want something that looks better

so, were there any wagons used on the southern railway in days of yore such as a 3 plank wagon that was used for coal? up until nationalisation if possible or through the war years. any help appreciated

In steam days nothing as modern as the 16T mineral ran on the island, mostly exLBSC 4-plank, with a few 5-plank. But to be honest not many are going to know in your neck of the woods, and pull you up about it surely ???

• RMweb Gold

In steam days nothing as modern as the 16T mineral ran on the island, mostly exLBSC 4-plank, with a few 5-plank. But to be honest not many are going to know in your neck of the woods, and pull you up about it surely ???

Umm, Paul, I think that was "low" rather than IOW. But your remark is just as valid on the mainland.

What about an ordinary coal wagon, with the end missing?

It would look normal from the side, but allow access to the fir hole door etc.

IIRC, the Scottish railways used this idea in reality, using a slightly modified coal wagon as a "tender" for Pug engines.

Out of curiosity, doesn't the bunker of the loco also get in the way?

K

What about an ordinary coal wagon, with the end missing?

It would look normal from the side, but allow access to the fir hole door etc.

IIRC, the Scottish railways used this idea in reality, using a slightly modified coal wagon as a "tender" for Pug engines.

Out of curiosity, doesn't the bunker of the loco also get in the way?

K

i have considered using a normal coal wagon with removable ends, i have a 7 plank, but i really would prefer something low so i can still properly build it, like a 3 plank.

my loco is an ex LSWR B4 in BR livery and the coal should kept in the bunkers at the rear of the water tank, but on my model there are none, hence the need for a coal wagon that will allow me access to the boiler backhead and the rear cab sheet is removed for driving

oopps

ha ha, yes, low as in low not IOW. 

Yes, after I wrote my previous, I thought "Ah, I bet its a B4." . Is it a G1 one?

Anyway, I googled B4s, and couldn't find a single picture of one with a tender behind, and my gut feel is that carrying "revenue" coal in very low-sided wagons would have been very rare indeed, for multiple reasons.

Kevin

Yes, after I wrote my previous, I thought "Ah, I bet its a B4." . Is it a G1 one?

Anyway, I googled B4s, and couldn't find a single picture of one with a tender behind, and my gut feel is that carrying "revenue" coal in very low-sided wagons would have been very rare indeed, for multiple reasons.

Kevin

i have worked it out, that i can fire from a 4 plank, just. its not G1, its 7 1/4  :locomotive:

Archived