Disc with Bar

When was the Disc with a Bar, set to either Vertical for "Go"

and Horizontal for "Stop" introduced?

Noel

Do you mean the early red disc signals that rotated through 90 degrees around Z-Axis or Banner Repeaters?

Simon

• RMweb Gold

It's the OP's reference to a vertical position which I find confusing....

Me too. I thought perhaps it was some modern invention. 45 degrees, on the other hand, would cover banner repeaters as per micknich, or subsidiary signals of all sorts, especially on railways in the South.

To prove the exception, attached a drawing of a Three Position "UQ" disc installed at London Victoria c1919. These were the only such examples in the UK.

I don't know the exact meaning of the Yellow or Green aspects, but suggest Green, line clear to next signal, Yellow, line occupide, procced for shunting purposes or attaching and detaching etc.

post-702-0-61478400-1469028191_thumb.jpg

IIRC it reads exactly like a 3-aspect colour light, so that yellow is "proceed, ready to stop at next signal".

It is American practice, and must have been a slightly dodgy thing to mix with British practice, but then the signalling in and out of Victoria was incredibly difficult to read anyway, as an early 1930s cab ride film that is on YouTube will confirm.

The LSWR effectively had an extensive 3-aspect system on the Woking (?) to Worting Junction section, using a home over a distant on each post, which I think might have been semi-automated as track-circuit-block, and electro-pneumatically operated, and there were many examples of what I think are called "slotted blocks" that achieved similar less extensively.

But, I'm still waiting for the OP to reveal what he/she meant, 'cos I can't work it out!

Kevin

Edit: Sorry, just twigged, you mean the subsidiary disc, not the main arm, don't you? I'm not certain, but it may have given entry to one of the several double-length platforms at Victoria, implying the need to stop clear of the turnout halfway along the platform - the LBSCR previously used signals that looked like distants for this purpose at Victoria and London Bridge, I think - if NH looks in on this thread, he will know for sure.

• RMweb Gold

IIRC it reads exactly like a 3-aspect colour light, so that yellow is "proceed, ready to stop at next signal".

It is American practice, and must have been a slightly dodgy thing to mix with British practice, but then the signalling in and out of Victoria was incredibly difficult to read anyway, as an early 1930s cab ride film that is on YouTube will confirm.

The LSWR effectively had an extensive 3-aspect system on the Woking (?) to Worting Junction section, using a home over a distant on each post, which I think might have been semi-automated as track-circuit-block, and electro-pneumatically operated, and there were many examples of what I think are called "slotted blocks" that achieved similar less extensively.

But, I'm still waiting for the OP to reveal what he/she meant, 'cos I can't work it out!

Kevin

Edit: Sorry, just twigged, you mean the subsidiary disc, not the main arm, don't you? I'm not certain, but it may have given entry to one of the several double-length platforms at Victoria, implying the need to stop clear of the turnout halfway along the platform - the LBSCR previously used signals that looked like distants for this purpose at Victoria and London Bridge, I think - if NH looks in on this thread, he will know for sure.

The three position signalling installation at Victoria was on the SE&CR/GWR side of the station - not the Brighton side.  The running arm does read exactly like a 3 aspect colour light but I can't find anything about the subsidiary/shunting signals and the equivalent GWR ones seem to have only been two-position and only used as Calling On signals.

The first 'lever frame'  (actually a standard US pattern slide frame) intended for the Eastern side of Victoria must have a pretty unique claim among British signalling installations as it was sunk on a ship which was torpedoed enroute from the USA.  This in turn delayed installation work and the 1914 scheme wasn't actually brought into use until 1920 - it was replaced by colour lights in 1938.

Archived