Right I have put together some additional instructions, to which I will add but for the moment here they are as I still have to attach the servo and lights etc

Preparation

No point opening up all the holes as most are not needed.
Those that are:

• Weight arms you will need an extra hole to make it move.
  • open up the slots at the bottom, its easier to fill in after and the back one needs to be longer
  • With a very fine fretsaw open up the slot on part 5
  • The hole in the body for the light is too big. Cover with shim which then needs drilling with two smaller holes
  • The 3 holes on part 5 need opening up.

Building

• Weight bar - add half etches
  • The body should be folded up - not easy and soldered
  • Don't bother with the pivot holes part 2
  • Solder a piece of tube where the pivots should go and slit down the middle to form the pivots
  • Take part 5 and solder to the chosen face plate.
  • Fold over the two tails
  • solder the tail to the weight bar so that the holes line up with the end hole of the weight bar. This is tricky
  • Clear solder from the hole
  • Offer up the assembly to to the pivots and pass supplied wire through and secure so that the faceplate and weight bar assembly move easily.

Baseplate

• press bolts out and solder together. If you are motorising or adding lights, solder to suitable base. drill holes to allow wires through for the leds and to the rear for the operating rod
  • The weight bar will need another hole to the rear for the rod
  • Now you can solder (very carefully) the body to the base.
  • Paint and add LEDs and Servo motor etc if required
  • Add top

Part two to follow

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Like 1

I have slotted all the bodies and folded over the tails having soldered on the faceplates and have started on the pivot bearings. Next to add the weight bars.

Also I was hoping to show something else as well but the doorbell ringer wasn't plugged in so missed the delivery from PPD, hopefully tomorrow as RM promise.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stephen Freeman said:

I have slotted all the bodies and folded over the tails having soldered on the faceplates and have started on the pivot bearings. Next to add the weight bars.

Also I was hoping to show something else as well but the doorbell ringer wasn't plugged in so missed the delivery from PPD, hopefully tomorrow as RM promise.

Etches have now arrived and I have to say PPD have excelled themselves again, brilliant! I will try and do some photos tomorrow. One or two things for 7mm scale (large version of GCR bracket) but mostly 2mm and 4mm scale. Concrete posts, large GNR brackets, in 2mm and 4mm, GWR  brackets in 4mm scale and lots more beside in 3 different 290mm square sheets, all in 0.30mm Nickel Silver.

Back to the ground signals now.

• Like 3

Well here we go with a selection- More tomorrow including the GCR large brackets 

Mainly LSWRdetail1.jpg.43aeaba4a4b8792b36069cd096802aac.jpg

detail3.jpg.ea79a1bb01cad16061cb81090add2e68.jpgSome GWR and LSWR

detail7.jpg.afe99230f75613f6a3ff4ce685879dab.jpg

GWR and LSWR

detail8.jpg.57c5b171bda3d02718f1e009e2881ee3.jpg

Mainly LSWR the ones with the notches are LSWR Calling-on arms to which should be added the diamonds with the holes. The backblinders are GWR to go with associated backblinder arms.

also on the etch are the pivot plates for the calling-on arms, should be on the next batch of photos tomorrow.

Still working on LSWR ground signals.

detail4.jpg

detail6.jpg

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Jon Fitness said:

There's some interesting stuff on those etches Stephen. Lovely work..

Thanks Jon. Most of is smaller than 7mm scale it has to be said, now attention will be turning, time allowing to 3D printing things, for Track there is the developments with Templot and also I had reached the point where most of the stuff I bought from Shapeways has been used and is now prohibitively  expensive.

For signalling, there is the vast array of signal lamps and finials that Modelu don't do. Now that I have a resin printer all I need is more time (which is in very short supply). I don't think it would be strong enough for lattice posts that look as good as etched ones. Probably some things that are possible that I haven't even thought of.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

A photo of the latest 4mm scale signal under construction, purists should really avoid! It is really a might have been, a signal based on one at Stainforth but with somersault arms (well there will be soon) At least the signal lamps are on and lit (the light bleed will be fixed when the new filler arrives). Technical details :0402 warm white leds and 1k smd resistor, servos to be fitted etc. Still much to do.

The posts are to my own design etched by PPD as is the GCR bracket.

stainforthsortof.jpg.f07aa62595dd1d92c1652a1a549d550e.jpg

• Like 12
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...

I have now found that it would have been quite possible as I have found a photo of a Saxby & Farmer Bracket signal, albeit of the more normal bracket design used by the GNR at Hatfield, so not entirely unprototypical.

Having made the arms and put them somewhere very safe, I will now have to set to and make some more.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, ColHut said:

Do you have a picture?

regards

Its actually in the book by Vanns, the location was Hatfield, just two dolls though and a few other differences of course. I'll see if I can send you a scan.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been spending some time trying to replace the "missing photos", I have got most of them back in place but still a few to find.

A couple of bracket signals to hopefully complete this weekend or so and then it's back to the mega LSWR build in 4mm scale.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 of 3 arms on the somersault bracket now on and connected as far as the crank on the doll, the 3rd one, which is a subsiduary arm is on and almost connected (ran out of daylight today), at least this one doesn't need a crank, it will be straight down to the weight bar.

May just be completed tomorrow or more likely Saturday.

• Like 6

Despite some tussles with the "Carpet Monster", the somersault arms are now on having had a bit more time to devote to it today as a result of the big fire in Liverpool yesterday.

For those not familiar with the area, the building next to it is known as the Friary and is home to the Royal Liverpool  Philharmonic's rehearsal rooms. Which is where our son should have been today, for rehearsals for the impending reunion concert at the Philharmonic Hall  with Sir Simon Rattle in February.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

On 18/09/2016 at 12:09, Stephen Freeman said:

Hi,

In this instance Robin does not require working lights.

However for those cases where it is, then for tubular signals, wires go down the tube, for square posts, a slot is required in the posts filled in with filler after wires in place. I have toyed with the idea of doing some square post etches to save me some work but not got very far with it as yet. Lamps have to be hollowed out to take a warm white smd led.

I don't suppose anyone will read this after all th eyears that have passed since this post, but...........

I am building some signals at present and I have researched the way that cables were run to electric lamps. They all went up the outside. Pre-wired SMD micro LEDs have very fine wire attached.......cut the negative short and solder it to the brass signal somewhere.......that leaves just one small diameter wire (for a single signal)......just glue it to the outside of the post! After a bit of paint, it's hardly visible........

Edited by DaveGala
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, DaveGala said:

I don't suppose anyone will read this after all th eyears that have passed since this post, but...........

I am building some signals at present and I have researched the way that cables were run to electric lamps. They all went up the outside. Pre-wired SMD micro LEDs have very fine wire attached.......cut the negative short and solder it to the brass signal somewhere.......that leaves just one small diameter wire (for a single signal)......just glue it to the outside of the post! After a bit of paint, it's hardly visible........

True, but not applicable for non-electric lights. The other problem you will face is one of heat. SMD LEDs are temperature sensitive and will not tolerate anything over 350C, you may well find it difficult to solder to the post without blowing the LED. They are easier to replace if done my way.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 hours ago, Stephen Freeman said:

True, but not applicable for non-electric lights. The other problem you will face is one of heat. SMD LEDs are temperature sensitive and will not tolerate anything over 350C, you may well find it difficult to solder to the post without blowing the LED. They are easier to replace if done my way.

Stephen

Point taken about oil lamps etc.....but here's a picture to demonstrate what I mean if you are modelling a more recent period:

StopwithCallOn.jpg.d631d7bc38ac995c3e973fcad8f11693.jpg

The rear post clearly shows cables running up the outside.

With regard to SMD LEDs, I have soldered them, with a very hot iron and 60/40 resin core solder, to pads on PCBs as well as tracks on vero board without any failures. However, it may take too much time to heat up a brass area to terminate the LED and consequently risk destruction. The answer is to have a short tag wire terminated/soldered close to, but not too close to, the LED.

I struggled to feed two wires up a tube post. The reason for this was that the wire on the LED was not long enough to reach the bottom of the tube and  needed to extend it. The extension had to be a slightly larger csa to enable termination. After sleeving the joint to prevent shorts, there wasn't enough space in the top (narrower) tube to allow the 2 wires to feed through.

My signal is 7mm by the way and as I experiment before final construction and installation, I'm sure that I will get it right in the end!

Edited by DaveGala
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Stephen Freeman said:

True, but not applicable for non-electric lights.

Oil-lit signals may still have cables attached, for a pyrometer to prove the lamp is alight and/or for a contactor box to detect arm position, the wires for which have to run back to an indicator in the signal box, probably via a relay in a location cabinet. 

These wires usually run down the post, but they could alternatively run overhead directly to a nearby telegraph pole.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/175915-midland-railway-back-blinder/#comment-5012275

The signal post itself may be cable-stayed, so that could be another way of running your circuit.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2