Everything from the Airfix JCB to the British Railways hedge trimmer with not a hint of Health & Safety in sight. The Ankle Slicer  (mechanised scythe) looks interesting. The Station site is now the inevitable small industrial state and shopping centre but some of the railway housing still exists.

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-plant-display-ponteland-june-1961-1961/

Apologies if posted before.

Porcy

Stashed somewhere, I've got the official BR booklet/programme that catalogued all of the exhibits. This Scan from ages ago shows the Viaduct Inspection Unit (nicknamed locally the "gazunder"[Goes Under]) For some reason it wasn't shown in the film.

post-508-0-31671700-1469232842.jpg

P

Everything from the Airfix JCB to the British Railways hedge trimmer with not a hint of Health & Safety in sight. The Ankle Slicer  (mechanised scythe) looks interesting. The Station site is now the inevitable small industrial state and shopping centre but some of the railway housing still exists.

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-plant-display-ponteland-june-1961-1961/

Apologies if posted before.

Porcy

...was this the time they took the gazunder up to Hownes Gill to demonstrate?

I'd forgot all about that film. I dunno. Seems like it was being kept busy most weekends. I've never found out where it's permanent home was. maybe it was kept at York with the new tunnel inspection train?

P

That's quite a show not an orange suit ,hard helmet ,barriers,and some very interesting kit the lorry mounted crane looks WW11 vintage agree about ankle slasher  what an evil thing.Liked Fred and Harry making holes but when the weed killer switched on the side jets looked like he sprayed the stairs so nice and slippery ! How many of you went to this event would like to see your thoughts?

The cranes are mid/late 1950s, possibly early 1960s, types; the bigger one is a Jones KL10 (the Royal Engineers had similar ones on AEC Militant chassis), whilst the small, almost toy-like, one is a Hydrocon Highlander, which continued in  production into the late 1960s. After that, Hydrocon stopped using a bespoke cab, and bought in cabs and chassis from Albion, Foden, etc.

Odd that they didn't have any of the Coles Cranes, given they were built down the road in Makkem-land.

Archived