The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like old Motorcycles.

DDolfelin

A professional bike thief, who is likely the type to be stealing a big expensive bike (rather than chavs wanting a scooter for purse snatching) is likely to have a big van with a mattress in the back for loading stolen bikes in a hurry.

A length of chain or a towing strop, round that bar and round the vans tow hitch or towing eye and that bar is history.

A big ground anchor is a better bet, backed up with the loudest alarm possible.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A professional bike thief, who is likely the type to be stealing a big expensive bike (rather than chavs wanting a scooter for purse snatching) is likely to have a big van with a mattress in the back for loading stolen bikes in a hurry.

A length of chain or a towing strop, round that bar and round the vans tow hitch or towing eye and that bar is history.

Easiest deterrent, if your garage is big enough, is having a car parked between bike and doorway!

When out and about disc locks, ideally on both wheels, combined with parking somewhere such vans can't get close, is good. The thought of carrying 200kg+ all that far will be enough to send most professional thieves off in search of an easier target.

I think it's called the Grizzly Bear principle. Unless you are alone, you don't need to be fit enough to escape the animal (nobody is, they can hit 40mph), just faster than the slowest person fleeing it.

John   

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Oh, and don't expect any help from the police. During my commuter years, I had my pocket picked one day, and lost my motorcycle keys. I had a spare ignition key but not, as it would prove, a spare for the lock - which was of a cable type. 

I drove to the station on Saturday morning with a cable cutter and sledge hammer in the boot and in broad daylight, within open sight of the Railway Police House, cut the cable, loaded the bike on a trailer and drove away. Not a peep. 

This was around the time when the City Police and Railway Police both denied responsibility for the Station Car Park, and professional thieves operated there, openly and daily. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Or even better, both.

• Like 1

FWIW I'm a big fan of a simple arrangement of a hook, thin wire, pulley or crank, half an hour's metal bashing, a few 12 bore blanks and one of these or similar https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265149062590?hash=item3dbc1d9dbe:g:vpYAAOSwvoJgkkoz&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoJ2zx3eY7YFbD0hFFSbBRWVXIOdjsvwZqvWUE5iLJLIKam6%2BWO8%2BeZesOU2lBBonWIBYcItkHCls%2BoQO7pcNx6M6SPMgB6ss4Msn79eNTtbYS9oi6ay5teyNyY4j%2BgQiKN3DqCwjOBP0OGsQyS7gMbyAQUR5Wq%2BDaKoLs52vr8MM4rpE6MdTbn4S476JzOKNQyhxyQ4JTmxT70mHS45885c%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR66IufTbYA

Worked a treat the only time it was ever tested for real.  Matey abandoned his plans and buggered off PDQ, half the neighbourhood woke up, and one of them hit 999 to report gunshots (plural, although there was only the one) 🙂

• Like 6

Hiya

Bit more done on the FZR600.

Wiring loom now taped up again. I have useds a non adhesive tape for most of it. Very thin and sort of sticks to itself under tension, but non self amalgamating tape. Just used a few short sections of insulating tape to locate the ends.

Also go over the insides of the fairings and used some hot staples to hold the cracks together. This was a cheap kit from ebay, but has worked pretty well.

I have painted the footrest hangers, etc, with Smoothrite. Not a great job to be honest. The spray gun became intermitant, and I swapped to another unit in a hurry. Some bits are OK, but the tank (it is a metal tank that lives under a plastic cover) has a load of nasty runs.

All the best

Katy

300375574_1160094118055039_2909540917972626965_n.jpg

301459979_789652242352448_6910179486480952149_n.jpg

301345531_1206415953550626_4312841757822565104_n.jpg

302084801_1657042784679556_2592025655149212046_n.jpg

302543844_410666711164178_6183876058188916899_n.jpg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/08/2022 at 20:37, KeithMacdonald said:

How extreme a Vincent can you get?

How about a 2008 Egli-Vincent 1330 par Godet?

998cc Vincent bored-out to 1330cc in a new frame.

2008 Egli-Vincent 1330 par Godet

Sublime dans ses moindres détails (Egli-Vincent 1330, 1968, Thierry Girard)...

More here:

https://silodrome.com/egli-vincent/

Just about extreme enough, without going daft, I reckon....

Presumably, the Vincent motor would need to be bored and stroked to get to 1330cc, though.

John

PS. The top photo is the new wallpaper on my laptop.....

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

As to played with Vincents, a local guy built this

It is a Vincent Comet, but using the single sided swinging arm rear from a VFR400 and the  single sided front fork from a Gilera CX125

A way to scare the purists!

All the best

Katy

83479979_222910028717453_1397737754330136576_n.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

It's yonks since I was up to speed with Egri Vins and whatnot but is that a Munch front brake?  A mate of mine had an Egli framed C Shadow which IMO looked a lot better when he took it apart, got the frame stoved black and got somebody to make him a really nice 5 gallon Manx-style tank (which was nothing like 5 gallons really) that he got stoved black.  Looked right and proper to my eyes.  It certainly went well and rode well, but I think folk forget just how good the original forks were.  OK they took a while to shim up properly, but strong as hell and anti-dive ... 

I do like that yellow one, but it ought to be a twin 🙂

Edited by spikey
  • Like 4

There's only one colour for a Vincent!

I think that the modern interpretation would look great in black, the fork leg would then be a reminder of the forks on an early Rapide. Also, if it were painted black, it would look like what Stevenage might be making now if they were still trading.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Kickstart said:

As to played with Vincents, a local guy built this

It is a Vincent Comet, but using the single sided swinging arm rear from a VFR400 and the  single sided front fork from a Gilera CX125

A way to scare the purists!

All the best

Katy

83479979_222910028717453_1397737754330136576_n.jpg

Sorry, I have just about got used to the idea of one-sided rear suspension on bikes, but on the front it still looks scarily wrong to me.....

Very nice apart from that, though.

John

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Sorry, I have just about got used to the idea of one-sided rear suspension on bikes, but on the front it still looks scarily wrong to me.....

Very nice apart from that, though.

John

The Gilera CX (which the front end came from) was from 1990/91! Basic idea was nabbed from aircraft landing gear. To be honest no real advantage for this setup over normal forks . The brake hose is routed through the fork, and is a pig to put back in place.

All the best

Katy

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 30/08/2022 at 21:41, MrWolf said:

That's very Ogri. Though I think his was an Egli Vincent of a previous generation.

858818_514326058657578_1386015582_o.jpg.bb154a0ae6477dd3468713ede2e4dcf8.jpg

Paul Sample was never particularly consistent about Ogri's bike. It was generally an early style Egli Vincent but was sometimes a Norvin or even a Triton. Whatever he felt like drawing, I suppose. 

Malcolm's bike was a pre-unit Triumph; it was occasionally referred to as blue in colour so I guess that would make it a Thunderbird. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 25/08/2022 at 22:05, KeithMacdonald said:

Oh, yes, please post it!

If I knew how.....the original if I still have it is on 8mm tape, and it was edited dwon on toe VHS for our then-annual TT video we used to do for friends - grim quality.  I think....think....I have a copy on DVD somewhere....but where?  Not seen it for years.  If I can find it and extract the clip I'll ask the knowledgeable on here how to upload it!

• Like 1

I'm not trying to excite comment,  but I thought this Youtube channel video might be of interest to motorcyclists? 

It's the channel's latest video, and very much to the point in our techno-heavy world we are so in lurve with.

[Also, the author makes a very good point about the difference between technology for safety's sake, and technology for money's sake.]

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 5