A quick project - Ixion Manning Wardle smokebox interior.

Ruston

The opening smokebox door on the Ixion Manning cries out to have something behind it. Here's an hour's job to fill the smokebox.

Simple offcuts  plastic rod of varying thicknesses and a bit of plasticard. Oh and a tubeplate that I drew up and got Giles to make on his laser cutter for a small fee.

Steam pipes, tubeplate and blast pipe with blower ring.

Tubeplate-002.jpg

Tubeplate-003.jpg

I'm sure anyone who wanted to put in a bit more time and use a lathe to make the parts from brass could do a much better job but it looks alright and once there's a coating of black weathering powders in there it'll be fine.

I chuckle whenever I open the door. The engineering prototype did not have the opening doors on the smokebox and firebox; they were a surprise that we only discovered when the production locos were delivered.

I did say to Giles that I don't mind if anyone else wants one. I based it on a Peckett tubeplate but I bet no one would know if I hadn't mentioned it here.

Thanks for making them available, have one on order. Sat inside the smoke box I'm sure no one will be able to tell... Will havebto resist the urge to have the loco sat at the back of the shed all the time with the door open.

Cheers,

Andrew

Archived