RMweb

A Long Gradient on a Railway

faulcon1

Here's a gradient on a railway from a man in Northern Ireland. He did build a helix but found that once the trains were in the helix he couldn't see them and he wanted to view his trains ascending or descending from one level to another. His helix originally had 11-12 levels and was scratch built. I think this idea of his is far superior to any helix I've seen and does indeed allow one to watch the trains move between levels. He has three levels of railway all with scenery. The gradient is 1 in 50, the gauge is OO and the layout is in his garage.

The line crosses a triple level lift up sections that allow easy entry to and from the railway room at 1.05, 2.53, 4.19 and 8.31. If he hadn't put the lift up sections in he would have had to get in and out "great escape" style.

I believe his garage dimensions are 16' x 8'. Although in the video the class 37 is moving quite quickly and 8F on 20 coal wagons descending the grade slowly and then later ascending the grade slowly would take quite awhile.

With three levels one can have many more rail served industries than one can have on a single level railway.

For me the owner has achieved the maximum amount of interest (ie shunting) with the maximum amount of run in the space available.

https://youtu.be/uz7hcmf0OUA

• RMweb Premium

Its still basically a helix,

albeit a very much stretched one

which as has been said gives

a much better view of the trains.

It was difficult to see from the on board video

but it looked like it was housed in quite a big room.

Id love to have that much space for a railway room,

The levels looks about 1'4" apart (vertically). Assuming that is the case then a gradient of 1:50 that would give a run of about 130 feet, depending whether the end of the top level was above the end of the bottom level.

Not sure I would describe it as an incline, it is, but in railway terms an incline is steep and normally rope worked. I'd say a gradient.

The levels looks about 1'4" apart (vertically). Assuming that is the case then a gradient of 1:50 that would give a run of about 130 feet, depending whether the end of the top level was above the end of the bottom level.

Not sure I would describe it as an incline, it is, but in railway terms an incline is steep and normally rope worked. I'd say a gradient.

Sorry I apologise. A steep gradient. Most steam outline models would have trouble hauling any substantial load up that gradient. But think of the possibilities for banking.

If one didn't want to bank every train then DCC Concepts Power Base would be an option for greater traction for steam outline locos which these days more often than not a fairly feeble when it comes to haulage capacity. Diesels being much heavier have no problems ascending the gradient.The railway is DCC using Digitrax control.

Archived