The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

11 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Looks to me like a pumped up Arado 234 Blitz but the lift engines don’t look like anything I’ve seen before.

2 Pegasus engines (probably to be expected!) and it seems 8 small specific lift engines.

Imagine that landing and taking off from an Invincible class ship.

As an aside, I would suspect with the Pegasus on the wings, and the specific lift engines on the ends of the wings, a failed engine would have a dramatic effect at a critical time.

All the best

Katy

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Kickstart said:

Love the Panda Eyes cockpit windows!

All the best

Katy

The panda eyes on the A350 was a stroke of brilliance by Airbus, it gives the aircraft a distinctive look and adds a little flair. Most new Airbus jets seem to have adopted the concept, or at least a lot of newer A320 family and A330 jets seem to have the panda eye framing.

Unfortunately I think Air Canada have added their own interpretation which doesn't work anything like as well which is part of their current livery. I preferred the older grey livery.

AC737MAX-1.JPG

AC787-3.JPG

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kickstart said:

2 Pegasus engines (probably to be expected!) and it seems 8 small specific lift engines.

Imagine that landing and taking off from an Invincible class ship.

As an aside, I would suspect with the Pegasus on the wings, and the specific lift engines on the ends of the wings, a failed engine would have a dramatic effect at a critical time.

All the best

Katy

The lift engines were RR RB612's, for more info' see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_31

Rob

• Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

The lift engines were RR RB612's, for more info' see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_31

Rob

Yes, fairly small engines. Combined more powerful than the Pegasus engines combined, but only for lift. With the Pegasus making use of the rotating nozzles for vertical take off with the lift engine, I presume for short take off it it could just use the Pegasus.

Either way, loss of lift from one of the engines  on the wings would presumably result in a fairly dramatic drop of one wing, and at low speed with little lift from the wings the results would likely be so quick that it possibly wouldn't be controlable

All the best

Katy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

The panda eyes on the A350 was a stroke of brilliance by Airbus, it gives the aircraft a distinctive look and adds a little flair. Most new Airbus jets seem to have adopted the concept, or at least a lot of newer A320 family and A330 jets seem to have the panda eye framing.

Unfortunately I think Air Canada have added their own interpretation which doesn't work anything like as well which is part of their current livery. I preferred the older grey livery.

AC737MAX-1.JPG

AC787-3.JPG

Looks more like a racoon to me!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

"Horse on a plane" ?

I admit, not as good (sounding) as a "snake on a plane" ...

...but it did result in "dumping fuel" because the plane as too heavy to land (earlier than planned).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67406779

Kev.

Edit to add - (earlier than planned).

Edited by SHMD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/11/2023 at 15:05, jjb1970 said:

Something I like about the Air China 737 livery is it still has the anti-glare bib in front of the cockpit windows, which I always liked as a neat livery feature. For some reason only the 737 fleet has retained it, are 737 cockpits prone to glare or is it purely a stylistic quirk that it has survived on the 737 while being dropped from everything else I wonder?

I think it's just a company livery thing, none of easyJets 200/300/700's ever had it. I was fortunate enough to ride up front many times with them in all three types and a320's and can't recall any notable difference from a jumpseat perspective. The a320's were definitely quieter and lighter inside due to the shape of the windscreen and relative sizes than the Boeings. 

The ARJ21's are nice lookers but to me look more Canadair/Bombardier RJ 'clones' than MD's. If I were allowed to have a commercial airliner of my own, on looks I'd choose one of the later MD90 types or stretched DC9. Apart from the 757 I always preferred the MD design looks over Boeing/Airbuses.

IMG_4809.jpeg.ce14091ff7f35c15f39b013bda5237a4.jpeg

In other news nine years ago today, I worked this one for the first time, which I had the pleasure of doing on two occasions 😊

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, SHMD said:

"Horse on a plane" ?

I admit, not as good (sounding) as a "snake on a plane" ...

...but it did result in "dumping fuel" because the plane as too heavy to land (earlier than planned).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67406779

Kev.

Edit to add - (earlier than planned).

A long time ago, we had a Merchantman inbound declaring a Mayday, one of the races horses on board was going postal and kicking its way out of its stall. They always used to fly with vets on board, still do AFAIK, with instant lethal measures available. Due to the aircraft size, horse location, injuries it caused itself and to prevent the others stampeding it had to be used in flight. It was apparently a very valuable horse and had won several notable steeplechase races and was being prepped for the Grand National. Loading large animals like horses can be a bit of a game too, especially if they are new to it. Where practical transporters and service vehicles make a corrall to pen them in if they get a bit punchy, letting one go in an open space like an airfield would be an interesting retrieval challenge!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/11/2023 at 19:16, t-b-g said:

It says "Airbus" on the side but I am pretty sure it isn't one of those!

One of my pet hates is when aerospace companies apply their own moniker to old designs of companies they bought over the years. If they are still in production and being marketed then that's fair enough (I never had an issue with the Boeing 717 for example, despite it being the MD-95) but sometimes you see some really odd attempts to associate a modern name with a heritage aircraft.

• Agree 1