The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Pity about the addition of reheat.......as in many CG aircraft with no reheat suddenly showing flames.....

Maybe the designer had seen a D model with its reheat lit and either figured no-one could tell the difference or assumed all -86s were so equipped without checking. 

Alternatively, being an Eminem record maybe they just didn’t give a…

(as an aside, I always thought it was a great homage to licence to Ill)

Best

Scott. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

There you go - I had not heard of the F-86D........apparently only 25% common parts with the F86.....

Yes, a markedly upgraded machine. Radar, more powerful (and augmented engines) to name just two improvements. 

originally developed as an interceptor, from memory. 

best

Scott. 

• Informative/Useful 1

The submarine in the picture is USS Drum.  I visited a couple of years ago.  The ship and boat were interesting but for me the aircraft were worth the visit.

A line up of US fighters, F-14, F-15, F-16 and YF-17 which lost the fly-off competition to the YF-16 but was developed into the F-18.  B-52.

IMG_3193.jpg.975b77b47e40034b8b84348617c41104.jpg

F-105 and A-12 Blackbird.

IMG_3194.jpg.bd6cc765293cd43124aa730441ead89b.jpg

A-1 Skyraider (I think, not listed as currently on site, may have been on loan)

IMG_3186.jpg.c8dbeb0fde546fa6c9db07df9938658d.jpg

• Like 15

On 20/01/2024 at 15:21, Jeff Smith said:

A-1 Skyraider (I think, not listed as currently on site, may have been on loan)

IMG_3186.jpg.c8dbeb0fde546fa6c9db07df9938658d.jpg

Didn't realise Duracell made munitions

Sorry, couldn't resist

All the best

Katy

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
On 20/01/2024 at 13:10, scottystitch said:

Yes, a markedly upgraded machine. Radar, more powerful (and augmented engines) to name just two improvements. 

originally developed as an interceptor, from memory. 

best

Scott. 

Here's a Revell one I made:

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Not an aircraft but the USS Alabama, the reason for the museum aircraft I shared above.  4th and final of the South Dakota class, commissioned in August 1942.  Just under 45,000 ton fully loaded.  Now sitting in a cradle on the bottom of the partitioned off area of water.

IMG_3212.jpg.e68ef35337cb2fafb903964b8ce06a46.jpg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Some 777's arriving yesterday, I don't like Skyteam livery (would much rather see a regular KLM 777) but it's not boring in the way of Star Alliance livery. Although the Aerologic 777F is in DHL colours and operating for DHL it is still listed as an Aerologic flight.

Swiss777-19.JPG

KL777-22.JPG

DHL777F-7.JPG

JAL777-5.JPG

Turkish777-9.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The A380 is probably the best (passenger) experience I have had.

Kev.

(A bit fugly though!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I enjoy seeing the few four engine commercial jets left, soon we'll just have twins. Singapore still gets quite a lot of A380 flights (Singapore AL mainly of course, but Qantas and Emirates too) and Lufthansa and occasionally fly the B747-8I to Changi, but other than that its freighters for four engine action. Luckily there are still plenty of 747-400F and 747-8F flight operated by carriers like Singapore AL, Cathay Pacific, China AL, China Cargo, Cargolux, Kalitta, Korean Air and Asiana. One of the nice things about Beijing Capital is seeing the Air China passenger 747-400 and 747-8I passenger flights.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Don't see many of these anymore, a B757-200, these used to be one of my favourites. There's a Chinese cargo airline, SF, which operates 757-200 freighters into Changi but it's rare to see them in daylight. This is a lousy pic but it was an opportunity shot of an Air Transport International example approaching Paya Lebar AFB, so I am guessing it is either carrying military cargo or a tropp carrier charter.

757-2.jpg

757-3.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I loved flying the 757, lots of performance, good stopping power. Did ten years on it .

As a passenger I loved it as it was ordinary and uneventful for flights up to 90 mins.  Reminded me of 'bus stop jets' like DC-9-30 in early 70's before they started ramming in seats too tightly.  

• Like 4

I remember flying on a Continental B757 from Newark to I think Birmingham, I would guess in the nineties.  I think it was a daytime flight too which killed a whole day but was better for jet-lag!

The B757 was built in about equal numbers with either R-R or GE engines.  Some operators had mixed fleets (eg UPS) but the R-R powered ones were more sought after for smaller airlines and for cargo conversions.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

As a passenger I loved it as it was ordinary and uneventful for flights up to 90 mins.  Reminded me of 'bus stop jets' like DC-9-30 in early 70's before they started ramming in seats too tightly.  

I flew on them regularly on the short-lived BA turn up and go shuttles between LHR and EDI about 40 years ago. Ideal for that job.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Of course though, it’s the operator that specifies the seating arrangement . I’ve flown mostly 233 seat 75s , but also one VIP one with 60 seats - you’d have liked that one !

RR RB211 was a good engine, I don’t recall having any problems ( edit : tell a lie, once had to divert with one leaking oil , but that was an installation error by the line engineers ) Unlike the crappy Trent 1000 on the 787 that was riddled with them 

Edited by rob D2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators

This seems as good a place as any. Has anyone else watched any Masters of the Air on Apple TV?

Band of Brothers was a classic of course and Pacific was good too but I really am struggling with Masters of the Air from the same stable. Although the CGI is clever it very obviously is just that; maybe it's that? Or the characters?  I don't even know if they're based on real people whereas Band of Brothers very definitely was.

It doesn't seem that they used a single flying B17 for shots; just mock ups for in-flight and some ground shots. Compare that to the glorious summer of 1989 when, if you were lucky enough, you'd get to see five Fortresses, a Mitchell and Mustangs over Cambridgeshire and E. Anglia filming 'Memphis Belle' - it was far more cheesy as a film but at least they did the flight sequences well.

Having looked forward to it for years I'm really struggling to enjoy it.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1