Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

G'Day Folks

Well it worked out the way I wanted it to. Have found a house on a large block of land (1.5 acres)  moved in on Tuesday, I have intermittent Internet at the moment.

manna

DSCF6632.JPG

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Well it worked out the way I wanted it to. Have found a house on a large block of land (1.5 acres)  moved in on Tuesday, I have intermittent Internet at the moment.

manna

DSCF6632.JPG

Garden railway time!

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Is there a convenient Runway somewhere nearby??...        🤠

Yeh it certainly looks like a control tower doesn't it?

Regards Lez.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 01/06/2023 at 16:15, manna said:

G'Day Folks

manna

DSCF6632.JPG

Congratulations mate. Will that building on the left become the train shed I wonder?

Regards Shaun

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

I have a connection, No I'm going to use the main building, 7mtr X  3.8. should make something out of that, might start making a few plans soon. The second bedroom is going to become my Modelling workshop, but for the moment, cutting grass and burning it.

manna

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Procrastination continues over the new layout section.

On the plan it all looks good and fits, the problem seems to be the gradients on the tramway. If it was simply a road there wouldn't be any problems. I might have to reroute the tramway and settle for a shorter run.

The temperatures here are getting up into the upper 90sF. This means that the modeling bench has been re-requisitioned. Work on finishing Queensbury is now underway. Herein lies another problem which has been solved...

At the South Junc./Halifax end of the triangle there was a footbridge over the rope worked colliery tramway cutting. What I've never been able to work out was how the staircase on the Bradford-Halifax platform fitted in. The sidings would have squeezed the platform width well under the required 6 feet.

IMG_3913.JPG.bd2841b590e6562e1db901af3ace1dca.JPG

Initially I modeled the subway and cut a hole to accommodate the stairs.

Still not satisfied I fired up the old laptop and searched all the images. None of them seem to show stairs because there seems to be the same problem as that on the model. Not enough space! 

IMG_3914.JPG.7e1f521b42f1e3ca2a5c34a9f6f389fd.JPG

This map confirms my suspicions. Looks like I need to fill in that hole!

IMG_3916.JPG.e75f00d4fdc3d7843dc76763e0f55dd5.JPG

There's still quite a lot to do on Queensbury including but not limited to; Platform fencing/walling, main footbridge,  uncoupling system and more scenic work.

IMG_3414.JPG.5487c80e7bf1af33aa1635c2292d7f37.JPG

Squatch.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 16

G'Day folks

You seem to have a dilemma on you hands, regarding the subways/stairs. Could not the stairs be behind the platforms, thereby keeping the platform widths in keeping with the photographs which show unobstructed platform widths.

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day folks

You seem to have a dilemma on you hands, regarding the subways/stairs. Could not the stairs be behind the platforms, thereby keeping the platform widths in keeping with the photographs which show unobstructed platform widths.

manna

Hi manna.

Yes! The 3 sets of stairs are built that way. The forth set didn't exist, so I need to brick up the second subway and pave over that stair well circled in red!!

How are you getting on in your new place?

Regards Shaun.

• Like 6

G'Day Folks

No It's time to tell you all where I am, it's a small town called 'Pentland' about 250km inland from Townsville, Qld, on the main Hwy and rail line to Mount Isa, I have very large Road Trains passing in front of the house, and the rail line has very heavy Goods trains passing, there's a crossing point at Pentland so there are often two double or triple headed trains crossing, tank, ore and cattle trains make up most of the consist.

House is coming on, I have covered most of the outside with cement sheeting, so the walls and roof are now waterproof, but I don't think I'll be able to start the next layout until next year, still much to do. Pic 2 is the new railway room.

manna

DSCF6708.JPG

DSCF6722.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

No It's time to tell you all where I am, it's a small town called 'Pentland' about 250km inland from Townsville, Qld, on the main Hwy and rail line to Mount Isa, I have very large Road Trains passing in front of the house, and the rail line has very heavy Goods trains passing, there's a crossing point at Pentland so there are often two double or triple headed trains crossing, tank, ore and cattle trains make up most of the consist.

House is coming on, I have covered most of the outside with cement sheeting, so the walls and roof are now waterproof, but I don't think I'll be able to start the next layout until next year, still much to do. Pic 2 is the new railway room.

manna

DSCF6708.JPG

DSCF6722.JPG

Good to know that you're settled mate, even more so that you have trains passing by! We nearly put in an offer on a house in the Rouge gorge upstream from Grants pass. The Central Oregon and Pacific Railroad ran past between the bottom of the garden and the river itself. Unlike your place the railway room would not have met requirements! Interstate 5 was far too close into the bargain!

A new house is always a lot of work, just don't over do it.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 06/07/2023 at 23:32, Sasquatch said:

At the South Junc./Halifax end of the triangle there was a footbridge over the rope worked colliery tramway cutting.

Don't know if you have this photo in your collection, it might help ?

1487735_635364959854035_806333727_o.jpg.8da365046e8c192165fbeedf2634a1c5.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, moore43grm said:

Don't know if you have this photo in your collection, it might help ?

1487735_635364959854035_806333727_o.jpg.8da365046e8c192165fbeedf2634a1c5.jpg

Yes I have seen that photograph. Interestingly it must have been taken over 100 years ago, probably making  it one of the first if not the very first pictures taken of the station. Due to the lack of vegetation and the neatness of the buildings I'd hazard a guess and say it dates from the 1890s! The only things that remain from that view today are the two houses on the hill beyond and the clay works chimney (just to the right of the tree).  

The early period of the heyday of the Great Northern Railway would have seen a paint scheme of brown framework and cream paneling. There were 3 signal boxes in operation that pictured being the south junction box. The bridge over the rope hauled coal tramway connecting the Halifax-Bradford platform to the Keighley-Halifax one remains in its elevated position, what I hadn't noticed before was the hefty abutments on which it sat!

Also of interest is the number of wagons in the sidings, something that suggests a lack of motorized road transport.

Thank you for your input.

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
typos.
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

The 'Bradford bit' looks amazing, any chance of a wider view !!

manna

Sure my friend. Remember all but the L&Y Goods warehouse are only plonked there as a sort of storage thing.

They're all for the mill town!

IMG_3929.JPG.c24fd02d673ae0cc940bf028087d3ea7.JPG

IMG_3927.JPG.60d683cce781c7e548f45a677bba4ec3.JPG

IMG_3930.JPG.cd6c326ec52c0eb22202c80970ae8b59.JPG

IMG_3931.JPG.f91e9831787ba7db803e790b45ecb2c7.JPG

Regards Shaun

• Like 17

As a former regular at Keighley, the Queensbury lines were always a fascinating selection of routes, so it's great to see this model developing!  There are clearer maps of the triangle (various eras available) on the National Library of Scotland site - here's a link to the 1890 edition: https://maps.nls.uk/view/125642113  and the 1934 edition: https://maps.nls.uk/view/125642122 (both zoomable).     

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Looking very nice Shaun,  I like those curved platforms,  a pleasant change from the standard dead straight variety.

Queensbury was such a neat station.   The L&Y warehouse is an awesome, impressive structure,  fine model making indeed.

Good thing you have AC,  it's going to be a hot Summer.    Felix

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 25kV said:

As a former regular at Keighley, the Queensbury lines were always a fascinating selection of routes, so it's great to see this model developing!  There are clearer maps of the triangle (various eras available) on the National Library of Scotland site - here's a link to the 1890 edition: https://maps.nls.uk/view/125642113  and the 1934 edition: https://maps.nls.uk/view/125642122 (both zoomable).     

Thank you for taking the time to paste links of Queensbury OS maps. The 1932 map is a little conflicting where it comes to the stairs down to the subway. It clearly shows a set of steps behind the Bradford- Halifax platform (where I'm guessing that there wasn't any due to space restrictions) but on the other hand it is missing the set of stairs on the Keighley-Halifax platform? This is the only stairway that I have seen photographic evidence. I wonder if it could be a cartographer's error.

Anyway, there's plenty more interesting things on the maps such as on the 1932 map, a weigh bridge and office at the top of the slip road. Down line crossover access to the north siding (with loop!)

And, on the 1891 map, the extensive Clayton fire clay works, 3 signal boxes and the rope worked incline down to Hole Bottom coal pit. Obviously in operation at that time. 

Later maps show further alterations to the site such as the ash siding inside the triangle which incidentally saw the removal of the subway and foot bridge with what must have been (if only for a short period) a return to crossing the tracks on foot!

I must have spent 100s of hours searching all the images on the internet and still get frustrated when I can't confirm certain details or find conflicting information!

Regards Shaun.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, boxerbayrailway said:

Looking very nice Shaun,  I like those curved platforms,  a pleasant change from the standard dead straight variety.

Queensbury was such a neat station.   The L&Y warehouse is an awesome, impressive structure,  fine model making indeed.

Good thing you have AC,  it's going to be a hot Summer.    Felix

Hi Felix. With AC on full yesterday, work on the fencing has begun. 

The next structure on my "to do" list is the Great Northern Victoria Hotel that stood (and still in-situ) across the road from the warehouse. Bit of a challenge this one!

Forecast 105F this afternoon, I feel a run out for a cold beer coming on😁

Regards Shaun.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Earlier this week I got around to doing a bit more on that church, namely adding a steeple. For this I used a section of Plastruct concrete block which I cut carefully so that the quoins lined up into 8 isosceles triangles. These were simply taped together on one big bit of blue masking tape with two different sized octagons hot glued inside. I added a lightning conductor fashioned from plastic rod and tube then gave it the usual sasquatch West Riding grimy paint job. The porch roof colour was a bit tricky to nail down but looks just the ticket in sun light.

IMG_3932.JPG.0c1c2b8f28b9c74de6985be2d86410c5.JPG

IMG_3935.JPG.03c312daa1f75c867e40e114b3d2ae4a.JPG

IMG_3936.JPG.73e5acb68f849bad2e9bad63fc7d5cd5.JPG

Back to platform fencing...

Squatch.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5