Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Shaun, good to see a craftsman at work and to provide us all with a clear explanation of how it should be done thanks. All the best Adrian.

In no way should you call that craftsmanship Adrian. It's all very cheap and simple which is something I'm a fan of. Six noisy Gaugemaster TLUs would set you back about a 100 quid, such funds when they become available are better spent on locos and stock! Apart from the time involved my system only cost about $5. I first built the system for Dunster 15 years ago,  it's never failed and I've been having fun with it ever since! Come to think of it, there might be a blog knocking around on here somewhere...

Are yes  

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
Typo.
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Not usually one for big words but this morning I had an epiphany. Regarding this missing staircase situation between the Bradford-Halifax platforms at Queensbury, there's a very simple explanation as to why they were never built, and a subway wasn't dug which up until now I've overlooked.

These two platforms already had a foot bridge provided at the other end! So, I doubt very much that the LNER would have gone to the expense of providing a second means of crossing from one platform to the other especially at Queensbury where trams and road transport was already making a huge dent in the revenue over this line. Thats it, settled! Later I'll brick up the subway and stop all the procrastinating. (Flippin eck, another big word).

Squatch.

Edited by Sasquatch
Funktuation
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

That's looking good, great overview of the station.

manna

Thanks. I've really been getting on with it this week so I'll have to remember to do a few overview images when it's all back together!

I'm putting an order in for MSE great Northern signal arms now that I have gotten to grips with how they work.

Regards Shaun. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Talking of signals...

...and again, I'm faced with a bit of a challenge. Not that they're going to be too difficult to build and install but because getting them correct for my chosen period is a nightmare.

After a day studying, I have deduced the following.

During construction under the Great Northern all would have been the somersault type, older photographs confirm this.

A gantry was provided at the South Junction to display the junction arms which also had 2 low slung distant arms provided thus visually for drivers approaching from within Queensbury tunnel. This would make a nice model would it not have been for my choice of time period as we shall see.

Gantry.jpg.222cc80503df2b27018fcae3a73c490e.jpg

There were 17 signals at the site.  (21 if you include the 4 shunting ground dolls).

8 of those 17 would be off scene as far as my model is concerned. Nos. 10,11,17,32 at the North junction. 14,19,20 &30 at the East junction.

Later day photos reveal some upper quadrant signals. Don't quote me but I suspect the changes came about in 1935 when the South and North signal boxes were removed. (Of course, any photos from the second world war period are nonexistent.)

That leaves me with 5 GNR somersault types of varying height and 4 upper quadrant types to build. 7 single arm posts and 1 junction bracket with two arms that replaced the gantry mentioned above.  

Early photographs are of excellent quality, probably because the photographers of the period had to take their time and much care seems to be the order of the day. Later snap shots taken during the 1960s are a different story. The image of the junction bracket signal at the South junction from the mid 50s I have isn't detail enough. In one other image online, I can just make out that despite my assumptions about upper quadrant types being employed as replacements, this bracket had two somersault arms.  

These are poor quality images taken of images displayed on my old laptop.

Number 23 on the lever frame.

The Thornton starter at the northern end of the Halifax-Keighley platform. Regular height, original slotted post somersault type.

23.JPG.45612f0bc8ac93c7323e5772a3b90094.JPG   

Number 18. Thornton down starter at the end of the viaduct on the Bradford-Keighley line.

Looks like a tall upper quadrant on solid wooden post. 

18.JPG.e193b0fa6d00b64e534949b988b966fb.JPG

Number 12. Clayton starter on the up Keighley-Bradford line.

Lots of clear pictures of this one. Short somersault on a solid wooden post, interestingly erected in the wall on the Bradford-Keighley platform opposite! 

12.JPG.cacc827fed020157ed43443c117e96bd.JPG

Number 12. Clayton up starting signal.

Short wooden post with upper quadrant arm adjacent to the main station building.

13.JPG.935321fbc89dceb75ed2a80d33d6d85c.JPG

Holmfield Down starter Number29.  

Regular wooden post with upper quadrant arm.

29.JPG.2d20cbe8acf0817db34b33f561fd317e.JPG

Rear view of 29 and number 31 (right), Keighley-Halifax Holmfield starter.

Upper quadrant on what looks like a tall round post. (Don't quote me either).

3129.JPG.a25943bd5d7fd073043d10a58dfaa792.JPG

The junction bracket at the south junction. 

Numbers 6 and 22 on Queensbury boxes lever frame. Holmfield to Clayton and Thornton somersault home signals.

s226.JPG.08bc8aa0825e7069b6ceed797ebe1f04.JPG

Lastly number 28. 

Holmfield upper quadrant advance signal. Mounted two thirds of the way up the post with a white sighting panel painted on Queenbury tunnel portal.  Looks like slotted post.

28.JPG.7cefcf82bac7ed6eabae036611ffaf45.JPG

Now I've got my work cut huh? I'm gonna do the tunnel mouth first while all the bits are in the post (no pun intended).

Hope you found that interesting for all the time it took. Gotta be worth a round of applause.

Squatch.

Edited by Sasquatch
Technical error.
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Gotta be worth a round of applause.

Indeed. I'll give you another when you've made 'em (which should be a cinch after your experience with the ground discs).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Indeed. I'll give you another when you've made 'em (which should be a cinch after your experience with the ground discs).

Yeah! All pretty straight forward. Only difficult part is where to locate all the operating levers!!

Regards Shaun.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, ChrisN said:

That makes an interesting set of signals, almost no two the same.  At least you wil not get bored either making them or operating them afterwards.

Yes, I'm looking forward to it. One thing I did think of was keep the original signal numbers and not calling them 1,2,3 etc. That way as I build them I'll get to know them as well! 

Already had fun ordering the parts and digging through boxes of stuff and bits. So far there's 6 grain of sand size 12V bulbs for the lamp and 9 Ratio remote control sets!

Regards Shaun.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, aardvark said:

I think you're fortunate to have photos of all your signals, graininess not withstanding.

Agree! If I was modeling the GNR era, even more so! 

The Holmfield advance signal in front of the tunnel mouth is most interesting. I suspect It's mounted low on the post because the post is a replacement of the slotted concrete type. Simpler to leave the post long rather than risk damaging it by cutting it shorter. (Edit. That signal wasn't a replacement as studying the gantry photo proves it's absence).

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
Facts
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Had a go at the tunnel mouth in my spare time today.

Just 4 bits of foam, filed and sanded down to shape...

IMG_3991.JPG.5cb0f88eca36be7275a971ec5ac6f747.JPG

...with the stone courses pressed in with a fine steel rule and a pair of wide tipped tweezers. 

It's had a generous coat of Gesso and been left to dry. Which shouldn't take long in this weather!

IMG_3992.JPG.2e9e9dedf4b900a9a7d8a762d465c2d9.JPG

That was fun!

Squatch.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

The acrylics make all the difference!

IMG_3995.JPG.0fb0708ff7e2787b8ac527113626108e.JPG

That looks excellent - please tell us more about the type of foamboard you use, as I'll have to build a portal for Tremewan Tunnel one day.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That looks excellent - please tell us more about the type of foamboard you use, as I'll have to build a portal for Tremewan Tunnel one day.

You know I'm not sure. It was rescued from a skip on a building site! It's insulation foam! The secret was using a large flat file to bring the face down flat below the level of the half round portal stones. One day I'll have a go at doing a big derelict mill!

Regards Shaun.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1