Some signal advice please..

Northpoint

I am thinking of installing signals at the junction on my Cardwell freemo module. Am I right in thinking that this NJ International signal would be right?

attachicon.gifjunction 1.jpg

attachicon.gifNJI-1347-2.jpg

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Generally, no. That signal is an automatic block signal shown by the offset heads. For interlocking signals the heads should be aligned vertically. But you need to check out the rules for the Railroad you are modelling as there are plenty of variations within the general USA norms.

A bit of googling will bring up examples of the rules for different roads.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

No expert on this Nick but this might help

http://signals.jovet.net/rules/NS%20Signal%20Rules.pdf

I think for a simple junction you need two lights directly above each other. If the top is green then the straight route is clear, if the lower light is green then the diverging route is clear. The various speed signalling options are covered with yellow and flashing aspects on the same heads by the look of it.

This also might help

http://position-light.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/better-know-signaling-system-southern.html

No expert on this Nick but this might help

http://signals.jovet.net/rules/NS%20Signal%20Rules.pdf

I think for a simple junction you need to lights directly above each other. If the top is green then the straight route is clear, if the lower light is green then the diverging route is clear. The various speed signalling options are covered with yellow and flashing aspects on the same heads by the look of it.

This also might help

http://position-light.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/better-know-signaling-system-southern.html

Thnaks, Paul. Interesting links.

It looks like the second one should be appropriate for a simple diverging route.

Thnaks for that advice, Keith.

As it's a freemo module, it isn't based on any particular railroad.

Would this be more appropriate?

attachicon.gif0081859.gif

Yes, that one will do if both tracks are running lines, Top green gives full speed for the straight route, Lower green gives medium speed for the diverging route.

If there was a route to a siding you would need a third head below that would give low speed.

You need 3 of these signals, one for each approach to the turnout, the approaches in the trailing direction straight route would have a fixed red at the bottom, converging route a fixed red at the top.

Your signal with offset heads could be used as the approach signal in rear of the facing jubction signal.

Regards

I am thinking of installing signals at the junction on my Cardwell freemo module. Am I right in thinking that this NJ International signal would be right?

attachicon.gifjunction 1.jpg

attachicon.gifNJI-1347-2.jpg

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

As with most things signal, it depends.

On some railroads a signal to one or the other side of the mast means something different, others not so much.  Most railroad rule books show the signals one above the other.

The signal arrangement depends on the type of signal system in place.   

If its ABS (train order, track warrant, DTC, OTC) then there would be one signal mast on the single main past the points with one head facing in each direction or one mast on each side of the tracks with the signal on the right for an approaching train with one head.  The switch would be manually operated.  If there were two masts, the signal facing the switch would display clear, approach, stop and proceed.  If the switch was lined for the diverging route it would display stop and proceed.  If there were one mast then the signal would display clear, approach and stop, with the signal displaying stop if the switch was lined reverse.  The signal for movement away from the switch would display clear, approach, stop and the switch position would not have anything to do with the signal displayed.

Example  ___________<S>___/===============   or ________________<S__/============================

S>

If its CTC then there would be three masts, a single head mast at the clearance points of the normal and diverging routes, facing away from the switch and a double headed mast at the points facing away from the switch.  The single head signals would display clear, approach, stop and would display stop when the switch was lined against movement past the signal.   If the diverging route was into a non-bonded (non signaled track) then if would display restricting (red over lunar) when the switch was reverse and clear, approach, stop when the switch was normal.  If the diverging route was signaled past the switch, the signal would display aspects with red over green, yellow and red with the switch lined reverse and aspects with green, yellow or red over red  with the switch lined normal.

• RMweb Premium

I posted copies of the signals section of an old Canadian rulebook somewhere, but I can't find it using my holiday iPad.

Going through the facing point would take more options hence more heads than coming through the trailing side.

At our local station, they managed some complicated business with two heads, but each head did three colours and may have flashed as well.

For interlocking, heads were always on same side of post. Heads on opposite sides were blocks signals, usually home and distant.

The extra heads added information such as speed restrictions through the interlocking (often an indication of which route was set) and behaviour beyond (how to approach the following signal).

Archived