The National Festival of Railway Modelling, Peterborough

SteveCole

• Administrators

The 15th & 16th October will see Warners once again return to Peterborough Arena for the 9th annual National Festival of Railway Modelling.

There will be over 100 exhibitors selling a wide array of items plus over 30 layouts visiting in a variety of major scales. We’re also giving everyone that pre-books a ticket to our Peterborough Show, the chance to win this fantastic prize worth over £230!

Booking your tickets in advance saves you money, gives you 30 minutes early admission and a free showguide. Now you could also be taking home all of the following:

* Bachmann OO gauge GWR ‘City’ class 4-4-0 No. 3708 Killarney. Comes complete with a set of etched metal number and nameplates, detailing pack and a 21-pin DCC decoder interface in the tender. 
* The latest copies of BRM, Narrow Gauge World, Traction and Garden Rail magazines.
* A £40 Gaugemaster voucher
* The Ramsays Guide to British Model Trains - 9th Edition

* The BRM Guide to Trackplans & Layout Design - Volume 2

post-14186-0-47092300-1470731585_thumb.jpg

As always BRM Subscribers can get tickets for just £8 by using their subs number with the prefix BRM when booking in advance. Non-subscribers are £9 in advance or £10 on the door. To make sure you don’t miss out on this wonderful prize book today!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I tried to book 2 £9 adult tickets in advance of the show but it appears that ticket protection insurance (£2.25) is compulsory so could not "add to basket" without it. This nullifies the point of advance booking for me! Also if you want printed tickets posted to you it will be £2.50 but free if "e-ticket" how does that work?

So for me, it is not worth trying to book in advance - I'll pay on the day - see you there.

I tried to book 2 £9 adult tickets in advance of the show but it appears that ticket protection insurance (£2.25) is compulsory so could not "add to basket" without it. This nullifies the point of advance booking for me! Also if you want printed tickets posted to you it will be £2.50 but free if "e-ticket" how does that work?

So for me, it is not worth trying to book in advance - I'll pay on the day - see you there.

This needs to be clarified PDQ.  The last time I tried to book an advance ticket for a Warners show I could not make the website work and had to use the premium rate telephone line to complete the booking.  We seem to be coming up with an interesting interpretation of 'saving'.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I've never been to Peterborough - but I gave up on purchasing "Ally Pally" tickets in advance, the moment advance booking was passed over to an outside ticket agency - the moment it became impossible for me to buy my ticket at the printed "face value" price.

I won't change my decision unless this position changes to one I'm prepared to accept. Nothing personal, you understand - I don't like nonsense - and I'm not in the habit of going back on my decisions.

Whether I'm now prepared to go to any of these shows - and pay on the day - remains to be seen.

theres more of this book in advance catch 22 going on that means you don't really save anything. not so bad if you get a goodie bag or show guide or whatever.

This assumes, of course, that you actually want the "freebies".

Anyway, I thought there was supposed to be an unwritten "deal" behind advance ticket sales - we commit to going and pay months in advance - they allow us in early and give us a real discount (ie not a "smoke and mirrors" illusion) for our trouble. If, to access this "deal", we've got to go through some "third party" company and pay as much (or more) in fees as we're supposed to be saving, we're not saving at all, but losing out, if we fall victim.

I'm not prepared to accept this sort of "deal". I also refuse, point blank, to have any dealings with premium rate "rip off" phone lines - which some people could find interesting.

This needs to be clarified PDQ.  The last time I tried to book an advance ticket for a Warners show I could not make the website work and had to use the premium rate telephone line to complete the booking.  We seem to be coming up with an interesting interpretation of 'saving'.

... one which I don't recognise - one which I'm not prepared to go along with.

I guess this makes me old-fashioned. Well, I'm not getting any younger.

Huw.

Welly, on 21 Aug 2016 - 13:11, said:Welly, on 21 Aug 2016 - 13:11, said:

ticket protection insurance

Ticket what ?!  Are they prone to spontaneous combustion, or biting postmen or something ? <Reads ticket site> Ah, it's protection against you not being able to go on the day. Thing is, if I just wait until the day and then decide whether to go, I'm still £1.25 up before I've even set off.

And is this in addition to the £2.50 'fulfilment fee' ? Suddenly your £9 ticket is £13.75 - no thanks.

Didn't we have all these issues raised last year ? And the year before ?

• RMweb Gold

I've just tried adding a ticket to the basket without the insurance, there is a pop up window that offers the insurance but there is the option to decline and when you do that it takes you to the basket where the grand total is £9.

I assume that an "e-ticket" is a "print at home" one, most, if not all, of the airline and rail tickets I've had of this type are sent as a PDF file in an email. 

Regrads

I've just tried adding a ticket to the basket without the insurance, there is a pop up window that offers the insurance but there is the option to decline and when you do that it takes you to the basket where the grand total is £9.

I assume that an "e-ticket" is a "print at home" one, most, if not all, of the airline and rail tickets I've had of this type are sent as a PDF file in an email. 

Regrads

Thank you for that; I've just checked at this end and all you have to do is select 'No thanks' on the pop-up window about the insurance.

Yes, the e-tickets are print-at-home.

• RMweb Premium

I decided to try again and still found the "No Thank You" button for the ticket insurance unresponsive, I decided to see what happens if I click yes to it as I figured I can always bail out before presenting my details. Then I looked at my basket and was able to remove the ticket insurance from my basket list!

I now have two advance tickets printed out at home for just £18.  :imsohappy:

Rubbish design e-ticket booking website though. 

See you there!

Advance booking problems or not, this show- along with Doncaster- is one of the best in the annual diary in my most humble opinion.

A perfect balance between trade and layouts and- importantly- well spaced out rather than forced into tiny venues that some of the other commercial shows are.

Excellent.

I can kill two birds with one stone.

1) See NB which has long been an iconic layout that I remember from about the last issue of a railway magazine I bought before my long holiday.

2) I can be all indignant over Mick's sacrilige of painting HSTs to look like bright yellow bananas.

Joking aside it will be great to see it for real. It is a remarkable creation that really captures the atmosphere just right.

I'll be there with New Bryford. Last time it was down that way was at St Neots in about 1995!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Excellent.

I can kill two birds with one stone.

1) See NB which has long been an iconic layout that I remember from about the last issue of a railway magazine I bought before my long holiday.

2) I can be all indignant over Mick's sacrilige of painting HSTs to look like bright yellow bananas.

Joking aside it will be great to see it for real. It is a remarkable creation that really captures the atmosphere just right.

Thanks for the compliments.

Haven't got a yellow HST on the books at the moment - sorry (not!) :jester:

Come and say hello....

Cheers,

Mick

Hi,

Looking forward to bringing Norwood Road (not just Norwood as advertised, I really must get onto the BRM guys and get that sorted! EDIT: The website has been changed to Norwood Road, thanks to whoever has done that  :) ) to the show, which will be first 'proper' exhibition, I have just started pre-show preparations!

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

We've been beavering away updating the website with everything that's happening at Peterborough this year...don't forget to book your ticket to ensure you're entered into our HUGE competition, save money on entry, have 30 minutes browsing longer than everyone else and get your free showguide on arrival.

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/shows/show/the-national-festival-of-railway-modelling 

Here's a sneak peek of some of the demos taking place over the weekend...make sure you plan your day around any you don't want to miss!

Talks by Tony Hagon & his associates – Stand 36/37 

11.00 -  What is battery powered wireless control (BPWC) and what are the challenges?
12.30 -  Considerations for converting to BPWC
14.00 -  The future of BPWC
15.00 -  What is battery powered wireless control (BPWC) and what are the challenges? (repeat of the morning seminar)

All talks last for 30 minutes including time for questions. Because of limited places (12 seated,12 standing) we recommend that you reserve your place(s) as soon as possible, either by an email to support@protocab.com or visiting to the stand on the day.

Exciting demonstrations by exhibitors:

Eileen’s Emporium - Airbrushing - Stand 3

Ceynix - Tree-making - stand 21

Green Scene – Scenery examples - stand 7

Petite properties - Various subjects - stand 18

Isinglass Models – The latest in 3D printing - stand 11/11A

The following will take place in the demo area:

Examples of 4mm models plus soldering techniques and ensuring sweet-running chassis.

Presented by Tony Wright – loco/rolling stock builder, photographer and journalist,

Additionally, he will also offer a loco clinic where you can bring along any 'dodgy' mechanisms and he'll inspect them, fix them if possible or advise a suitable course to take. 

7mm Locomotion Construction

Presented by Stephen Barnfield - Market Deeping MRC

Scratch and Kit Built Locomotives in Brass/Nickel and Silver

7mm Wooden Coach Construction

Presented by Brian Bartholomew - Market Deeping MRC

LNER Gresley Wooden coaches made from wood.

Silver Soldering for Modellers

Demonstrated by Giles Favell

How to use silver-solder very easily and effectively for the construction of etched kits and indeed all things brass, nickel-silver and railway!

4mm Locomotive Construction

Presented by G Haynes - Market Deeping MRC

Scratch and Kit Built kits. Locomotive and Modifications.

Scale Model Building

Demonstrated by P. Bason - Market Deeping MRC

Scratch built buildings, many modelled on local structures.

Demonstration%204.jpg

I would be going anyway, but I have to say that seeing an icon such as New Bryford makes it even more worthwhile (with no offence intended to other exhibitors).

Though I can see it will be very hard to resist the temptation to whack Mick over the head with something yellow and whilst he's out cold replace the stock with blue, blue/grey and perhaps the odd sectorisation train.

• RMweb Premium

Though I can see it will be very hard to resist the temptation to whack Mick over the head with something yellow and whilst he's out cold replace the stock with blue,

Arriva blue North Wales set with a 67? Will that do?

Just about to start on a couple more WCRC Mk1's with a "new" steam loco to haul them.

Cheers,

Mick

Hello

The only yellow on Fenchurch St Peter is the operators eyes. Oh sorry there is a yellow tractor as well. 

Cheers

George

Fenchurch St. Peter looks pretty good in the photos I've just found on go-ogle and knowing your other excellent layout now on holiday in a museum, I'm sure will be excellent to see in person.

I'm sure there are other really good layouts there and I hope I didn't give the impression of thinking that only one is worth seeing.

Hello

The only yellow on Fenchurch St Peter is the operators eyes. Oh sorry there is a yellow tractor as well. 

Cheers

George

Hello? Is that the spade shop? Hi, yes, I need a new spade to keep digging this hole. Yes, I know I should have stopped or better still not started.

Hello

You'll find me there with my spade as well Derek. There are some fine layouts there, whether ours is one is up to others to judge. Please say hello to us when you come, it'll be good to put a face to a name. 

Cheers

George

Hello George

I had seen pictures of FSP before, but haven't seen it for real. It looks pretty damned good and I'm sure will be a crowd puller.

We have met before and have traded discussions about Towcester, both model and prototype.

Who is behind FSP- it looks too big to be the work of one chap, even one as distinguished as your good self.

Hello

You'll find me there with my spade as well Derek. There are some fine layouts there, whether ours is one is up to others to judge. Please say hello to us when you come, it'll be good to put a face to a name. 

Cheers

George

Archived