The Problem of Dust

John R Smith

I know that this is not a problem confined to those of us who work in the larger scales, but my current efforts are focussed on O Gauge so I offer it here for your consideration. Briefly, I would like to know how you deal with dust? Or specifically the dust which gradually accumulates on your precious layout as soon as it is finished and in use. The more detailed and delicate the scenic work on the layout, the worse the problem gets as all that careful work on buildings, trees, fences and telegraph poles gets slowly covered in a layer of grey filth. And of course the finer the modelling, the harder it is to clean - you simply dare not get a vacuum cleaner nozzle anywhere near Woodland Scenics foam, for example.

Ever since I moved on from my Hornby Dublo 3-rail setup I have been locked in a battle with the demon dust, and very early on came to the conclusion that the only hope lay in some sort of cover or covers which enclosed the layout and kept the dust out completely. I started out with polythene sheets draped from back to front of the baseboard, which snagged in signals and trees and looked repulsive after a few months. "Maristow" and "Goonamarth" were both enclosed in a plywood box where the backscene formed three sides and this was completed by a lid and plywood front. This works OK for a small micro layout but would be difficult to arrange for a larger setup. I also found it a problem that one could no longer see the layout when it was not in use, and the lid just became a dumping ground for books, teacups and cats etc.

So what do you folks do? Is it the case that these days nobody keeps a layout for any length of time anyhow, at least not long enough for it to get dusty? Surely there must still be a few people around for whom their layout is a life-long project, as was "Borchester" or "Buckingham". At this point in time I no longer have a layout, but I am gradually accumulating a few items towards one. In the meantime I have a diorama (well, a diorama with a little movement) which is very small and which occupies one shelf of a glass-fronted bookcase. This has at least the virtue of being dust-free (hooray), at eye-level and which is still visible through the glass when shut away -

post-27939-0-16321100-1471007819_thumb.jpg

I got one of these and it is perfect for my 4mm layout. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CORDLESS-HANDHELD-MINI-VACUUM-CLEANER-COMPACT-BATTERY-POWERED-SMALL-MICRO-VAC-/251894997154?hash=item3aa61ca0a2:g:HKAAAOSwBLlVFXU~

Mains hand held mini vacs are too powerful.  USB vacuums not powerful enough.

Used with the brush attachment it provides just the right amount of power for gently cleaning coach roofs, platform surfaces, road vehicles and the like.  Also good for removing excess weathering powder.  It is also powerful enough to lift any surplus light ballast of the Woodland Scenics type, but not for granite ballast.

Nice easy to empty little bag - you'd be amazed how quickly it fills up!

I use mine a lot, so always use good quality rechargeable batteries (4 x AA).

Squires used to sell them but not available for a while now (at least not when my friend enquired).

So grab one of these while you can - highly recommended.

(No connection with the seller etc.)

• RMweb Gold

I got one of these and it is perfect for my 4mm layout. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CORDLESS-HANDHELD-MINI-VACUUM-CLEANER-COMPACT-BATTERY-POWERED-SMALL-MICRO-VAC-/251894997154?hash=item3aa61ca0a2:g:HKAAAOSwBLlVFXU~

Mains hand held mini vacs are too powerful.  USB vacuums not powerful enough.

Used with the brush attachment it provides just the right amount of power for gently cleaning coach roofs, platform surfaces, road vehicles and the like.  Also good for removing excess weathering powder.  It is also powerful enough to lift any surplus light ballast of the Woodland Scenics type, but not for granite ballast.

Nice easy to empty little bag - you'd be amazed how quickly it fills up!

I use mine a lot, so always use good quality rechargeable batteries (4 x AA).

Squires used to sell them but not available for a while now (at least not when my friend enquired).

So grab one of these while you can - highly recommended.

(No connection with the seller etc.)

If you have a nearby Maplins they usually have them in stock, somewhat cheaper.  I use mine a lot.

A common worry.  My tinplate layout has been up for the last sixteen years or so in an A/Cd and heated room but still has to be cleaned.  Oh, I dust it off with a brush now and again and clean the track every few years but other than that is left alone.  Every so often when dust gathers on buildings it gets brushed of the roofs, etc. and I brush the droppings from the trees around them which represents fallen leaves very well.  Most visitors think that it all adds to the effect and when did you last see a clean railway in reality!

How interesting. So far we have two people who use mini-vacs, one who brushes things down a bit, and presumably nobody else seems to worry about it. Dust has always driven me crazy - all that work to get the perfect finish / degree of gloss or matt / fineness of detail and then in a year or two it is all spoilt by a grey pall over everything. Mind you, this is partly due to always having lived in old cottages with solid fuel heating.

How about those of you who exhibit? I bet you exhibition halls will produce a great deal of airborne crud over the course of a two or three day event.

John

I am fortunate in that I got full planning permission from the missus for a layout in a spare bedroom.  But dust is still a problem even in these ideal conditions.

I like to take photos of my locos and rolling stock and the digital lens is always cruel, highlighing even the smallest specs!.

Even if I don't use the excellent battery mini vac I still give a quick brush over with a big soft make-up brush before photographing..

I think the best way would be to have some sort of pelmet over the layout and use some lightweight foamcore or similar to put a cieling over it. I have found over the years that dust is an airborne problem which settles primarily from above. If it is a serious problem the added advantage is that you can hang plastic sheet from the pelmet to stop dust blowing in from the side.

I think the best way would be to have some sort of pelmet over the layout and use some lightweight foamcore or similar to put a cieling over it. I have found over the years that dust is an airborne problem which settles primarily from above. If it is a serious problem the added advantage is that you can hang plastic sheet from the pelmet to stop dust blowing in from the side.

Archived