Points / Accessory decoder with manual switch

robnort

This may have been listed before but I cant seem to find a simple yes or no answer......

Having just purchased a DCC ADS-FX8 decoder for my point control, it started me thinking, (oh dear now were in trouble) I was thinking I also have an R8216 decoder, could I connect this up to 4 other points and still use my push button mimic board ??????

I thought if I connect the outputs of the decoder to the points as should be, could i also connect my push button to the same point ??   This may seem too simple but was thinking of fitting a diode between the decoder output and the point to stop back feeding the decoder when using the push button.

I just cant seem to find a simple answer as everybody tends to delve off into tangents and fitting relays and all sorts of other wonderful conglomerations of electrical components,

Is this just a far too simple work around the problem of dual control of the points on a standard Hornby decoder or am I missing something  ????

Oh by the way my set-up is Hornby Elink / RM with 4amp transformer,

Sorry  Ron,

I think robnorts query is in the right area.

I also would like to know if you can control points by DCC and manually.

Gordon A

Yes you can.   But, a solution needs to be thought through, and not every accessory device will allow it.

( I have no idea about Robnort's specific question on Hornby decoders,  though suspect the answer is probably "can't unless you are willing to start hacking wires into the decoder itself"  ).

- Nigel

This is the type of thing i am thinking, and understand not all decoders are the same and also understand that my ADS 8FX dosn't need any of this as it has a switch facility built in, however until I can afford to buy some more ADS, would this be a logical work around as I already have an R8216 ?????

Thoughts would be greatfully received

post-27336-0-50389800-1472151907.png

Forgive me, im a bit new to this and apologise could you point me in the direction of the correct place to ask the question, just thought this would be the place as its a DCC decoder issue

No problem; however you are looking for help and are asking a question(s)........there's a section for this, labelled "DCC Help & Questions" *.

Best of luck with getting a solution though.  :good_mini:

[edit: * topic now moved to DCC Help & Questions]

I do not think that the arrangement shown in your diagram above will work.  The decoder will not change the point because you have put blocking diodes on all the wires in such a way that there is no return path, so the circuit cannot be completed.  Your diagram shows a solenoid, so the decoder will give only a short burst of current when activated and will otherwise not put out any electricity.  Therefore your switch will not do anything.  If there were any electricity, your switch would connect the 2 poles and you would have a short circuit.

I agree with whoever suggested to you the use of a relay.  Relays are not "wonderful conglomerations of electrical components"; they are simple, cheap and reliable.  I have used this solution on my layout and it works well.

I use the pulse from the DCC accessory decoder to pull in the coil of a simple relay, the main contacts of which are in my analogue points control circuit. You need two relays per point, so if you have lots of points you may prefer to look at an integrated circuit to do the donkey work instead.

My manual switching is by way of rotary switches to select the point and press to make switches to fire the point one way or tother under the urge of a CDU, although any manual switching method can be paralleled with the DCC side.

There is a wiring diagram of the setup in my gallery on this forum.

Edit: I am also running Hornby acc decoders under control of an eLink/RM. The setup being Elite/RM controlling locos on the track bus and eLink/RM controlling points on a separate bus.

Edit2: The important thing to note is the analogue and DCC sides must never be allowed to mix, so no common wires.

Archived