South Pelaw and Stella Gill EM

Grosmont Jnc

• 1 month later...

Hello John,

I was once contacted by a bloke who lived in Durham, opposite the Angel Pub, who had been a keen railway photographer and who provided me with a couple of lovely shots of ore trains at Relly Mill Junction. Do you or anyone else know who this person is/was?

Alas, the photographs have gone. Lost to computer virus. I keep the PC in the hope that one day I'll be able to recover them.

Bob

4 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Hello John,

I was once contacted by a bloke who lived in Durham, opposite the Angel Pub, who had been a keen railway photographer and who provided me with a couple of lovely shots of ore trains at Relly Mill Junction. Do you or anyone else know who this person is/was?

Alas, the photographs have gone. Lost to computer virus. I keep the PC in the hope that one day I'll be able to recover them.

Bob

I don't but there is a good change Paul D might know, I'll ask.

John

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello John

Now that a Hornby 9F Tyne Dock is available, I'm planning to fit sound to two of them so that banking can be done with iron ore hoppers. Still waiting for the Tyne Dock 24's from Suttons to be announced!

I notice you have a few sound models, and must be running in DCC.

Are you running those as a consist or are they run separately with some sort of speed matching. I would be interested to know how you go about the double heading and banking operation.

Dave

Edited by zr2498

No consisting or speed matching, we use two controllers and a lot of practice 😀

I believe SLW are planning a twin set for the Tyne Dock 24s. I tried to persuade Phil to do one as green with full yellow ends but he says that, unfortunately, that livery doesn’t sell well. 

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/10/2023 at 16:17, johndon said:

I believe SLW are planning a twin set for the Tyne Dock 24s. I tried to persuade Phil to do one as green with full yellow ends but he says that, unfortunately, that livery doesn’t sell well. 

John

Thanks John. Having given some thought to running two 9Fs, then consisting would not give the flexibility for separate sounds on each.

It will be fun getting to run two controllers, and keep the hoppers happy!

Just finished the sound install, and one has yet to be renumbered and both weathered.

Sound install of the Tyne Docks lower down this thread:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

It will be fun getting to run two controllers, and keep the hoppers happy!

It can be interesting 😁 When we bank up the hill, we aim to have the banker pushing 4 or 5 wagons with the lead loco pulling the rest.  We don't couple the banker to the train (although they did on the prototype) so, if speeds aren't matched well, the banker will fall off the rear of the train.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/10/2023 at 17:17, johndon said:

John

At least it's easier to add a full yellow end to a small panel than it is to go the other way!

Mike.

• Like 2

On 23/10/2023 at 10:03, Enterprisingwestern said:

At least it's easier to add a full yellow end to a small panel than it is to go the other way!

Mike.

It is but, for a Tyne Dock 24 there is another issue as, at the time they were green with yellow ends (early 70s) they still had the nose doors but they also had the valances removed and it's not a combination that is, at least currently, available from SLW so you can't just take a SYP green loco and repaint the nose.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, johndon said:

It is but, for a Tyne Dock 24 there is another issue as, at the time they were green with yellow ends (early 70s) they still had the nose doors but they also had the valances removed and it's not a combination that is, at least currently, available from SLW so you can't just take a SYP green loco and repaint the nose.

But you can easily remove the valances. So, not such a difficult job.

7 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

But you can easily remove the valances. So, not such a difficult job.

As far as I know, it's not, unfortunately, that simple - I did speak to Phil at SLW about this some time ago and, as I recall, the chassis mouldings are not the same between the valanced and non-valanced versions.  To produce the required variant you'd have to take a chassis from one loco and the body from another.

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, johndon said:

As far as I know, it's not, unfortunately, that simple - I did speak to Phil at SLW about this some time ago and, as I recall, the chassis mouldings are not the same between the valanced and non-valanced versions.  To produce the required variant you'd have to take a chassis from one loco and the body from another.

Thanks John,

I won't be doing that then.

• Like 1

Great videos John, what most visitors don’t realise is that every signal (inc ground signals, calling on signals and distance signals) are all working and correctly interlocked…can we have some videos of the signalling please?

A/box

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Axlebox said:

Great videos John, what most visitors don’t realise is that every signal (inc ground signals, calling on signals and distance signals) are all working and correctly interlocked…can we have some videos of the signalling please?

A/box

I’m sure that can be arranged. 

• 4 weeks later...