South Pelaw and Stella Gill EM

Grosmont Jnc

2 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

Not a modelling post, but one of my happiest visits to the North York Moors line, was when I went to visit my Dear Friend Coachbogie.
We went to the top of Goathland shed to see, in light steam, the surviving Q7.
I spent a great weekend being hauled by her. The sound of her attacking the bank and seeing her pound through Beck Hole is a lasting memory.
I don't suppose I'll see her in steam again. Great shame!
This layout is a joy and I hope to see it in the flesh at some point. Please keep the videos coming, they are a joy.
Regards ,
Chris.

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

The next planned outing for the layout is at Expo EM on 14/15 May next year in Bracknell.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, johndon said:

A busy moment at South Pelaw as a Q6 with a coal train waits to cross the junction as an 08 leaves Stella Gill and heads down the Washington Branch.  Coal wagons are being shunted in the colliery exchange sidings and, by the looks of the signal arm in the left foreground, something has just passed under the bridge on it's way to Consett:

1.jpg.a753436fa577b071ed2017238b398322.jpg

An unidentified Q6 passed under the bridge with the oil tanks from Jarrow on their way to the steelworks.  From the look of the weather, the snowploughs in the background may be parked there for some time...

2.jpg.afd9e1af7cb73c23f32d01e2bf02b66e.jpg

And finally, a Q7 passes under the bridge with a train of steel plate heading for the shipyards on the Tyne along with that rare sight of a bus on a bridge...

3.jpg.40ff35febc3b63dc5d1039d646744546.jpg

Photos by Tony Lambert.

Strange place for a bus stop.

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

Hi, 

like the latest video.  Just one question; would the steel sheets in the open wagons be left as is, or would they have some form of securing to prevent the load shifting?

Roja

They were left as is, on the off chance that they moved, the sides of the wagon were enough to keep them in place.

• Informative/Useful 1

Interesting that that practice continued.  On the Railways Archive site there's an wartime accident report (I think from the Sheffield area) explaining how a rough shunt in darkness caused some unsecured steel sheets to shift and foul an adjacent running line.  A troop train passed (or was passing) and the sheet sliced along the compartment side of several carriages causing a number of fatalities.

• Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Interesting that that practice continued.  On the Railways Archive site there's an wartime accident report (I think from the Sheffield area) explaining how a rough shunt in darkness caused some unsecured steel sheets to shift and foul an adjacent running line.  A troop train passed (or was passing) and the sheet sliced along the compartment side of several carriages causing a number of fatalities.

Possibly just a local practice, if the load was headed for the Tyne shipyards I presume it would be fairly heavy section, also a fairly short journey without the need for remarshalling en route.

I think, going on childhood memories, plates being worked up the GCML had securing chains over the loads, but they were going further with possible shunting and knowing GC loco crew's reputation higher speeds.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/03/2022 at 20:12, johndon said:

A 9F passes through South Pelaw with a loaded steel train heading for the shipyards on the River Tyne.Come along and see the layout be at Expo EM in Bracknell on 14/15 May 2022.

Will South Pelaw be at Kettlethorpe in August? Much closer to North Yorkshire.

On 03/04/2022 at 11:32, great central said:

Possibly just a local practice, if the load was headed for the Tyne shipyards I presume it would be fairly heavy section, also a fairly short journey without the need for remarshalling en route.

I think, going on childhood memories, plates being worked up the GCML had securing chains over the loads, but they were going further with possible shunting and knowing GC loco crew's reputation higher speeds.

There is video from the early 1960s showing unsecured plate being loaded into Plates and Boplates at the Hownsgill plate mill at Consett — right at the end — so hopefully our plate loads are correct. The billets are chained, again I hope correctly.

Jonathan Wealleans mentioned a nasty wartime accident involving a rough shunt of a plate load — I live in Sheffield and came across accounts of this incident some years ago. It was Sheffield’s worst railway accident, and sounds really grim

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/32/a4045132.shtml

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The South Pelaw group had a very pleasant trip to Expo EM this weekend, here's a video of some of the moves on the layout during the show where we were fortunate enough to be voted Best Layout in Show:

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 6

33 minutes ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

John,

Just to say Expo was the first time I had seen South Pelaw and I have to say it is very impressive and worthy winners of the show prize.  Well done to the team!

Thank you Mark, much appreciated.