Can you indentify this train?

OliverSR

Today I picked up this very strange looking kitbuilt train and was wondering if anyone could shed light of either the class or the make of kit. It has a milled brass chassis and apart from the missing wheels seems to be 0-6-2 class and the body is Whitemetal and maybe is GWR based just due to the style of safety valve cover(I think that's what it called). Anyway I hope someone out there has

This seems to be the Cotswold model of a Rhymney Railway Class AR released by Sutherland Model Casters in 1979, passing to Nu-Cast in 1986 and Autocom around 1994.  Parts were included to model several variants with different boiler fittings (including GWR) and front springs.  The kit had a solid machined brass block chassis and etched coupling rods.

Frank

Looks to be a good find, I for one would carefully dismantle it by dunking in paint stripper/ caustic soda solution/oven cleaner, which should not only remove the paint but also loosen the glue. I guess it is designed for an X03 motor, coupling rods from Alan Gibson (universal set if not a standard size) Should make a nice project for the autumn/winter 

Archived