Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Sticky Paint help

MarcD

Hi all

Has anyone had problems with airbrushing Pheoninix paints? I'm a little confused as I have just finished painting 3 LSWR coaches Salmon Pink/Brown no problems but i'm also trying to paint a Furness Loco  and some NER coaches and these are still tacky after 3 days. Anyone had simular problems? And Does anyone know how to prevent it happening in the future?

Marc 

Hi all

Has anyone had problems with airbrushing Pheoninix paints? I'm a little confused as I have just finished painting 3 LSWR coaches Salmon Pink/Brown no problems but i'm also trying to paint a Furness Loco  and some NER coaches and these are still tacky after 3 days. Anyone had simular problems? And Does anyone know how to prevent it happening in the future?

Marc 

No problems here spray Pheonixs' paints, I used their Signal yellow for a class 50, paint went on just fine and dryed rather quickly must admit too, what thinners did you use?

NL

I've only had problems with these two colours. I use Humberol thinners which I have always used. I sprayed all five coaches at the same time using the same bottle of thinners in the same temperature. The LSWR Coaches were fine but the NER coaches are still tacky

Marc     

Hi all

Marc 

Depending on how "wet" the coats that were used, the thinners may have reacted with the original paint finish on the NER coaches, or perhaps the surfaces of these were not de-greased as well as the LSWR coaches. It's always good practice to use paint and thinners from the same manufacturer, they are designed to work together, thus avoiding one of the pitfalls of airbrushing. 

• RMweb Gold

It is well documented that  Humbrol enamel paints  have had quality production issues, particularly with drying times.  I personally avoid their stuff now and use common  white spirit or Rustins Xylene thinners off ebay ..........

Archived