Camelbridge Junction - Cornwall in N

TomJ

This must be the umpteenth version of the same basic layout I've started and half built - several of which are on here buried on page 965 or something of layout topics!
Ever since I got back into railway modelling around 10yrs ago I've known what I wanted- something based round the China clay industry - but not quite how to do it. And enthusiasm has often got ahead of planning, and wanting to run trains has got ahead of Doing Things Properly! But this time will be different. I've planned it, even with the essential compromises it ticks the boxes I want, and I have spent much longer than before on the track laying etc before starting on the rest

So here's what I've been up to. I have one wall of our box room, approx 9ft, which doubles as a study. The problem with previous attempts is that with a through station almost half that length was fiddle yards. The eureka moment came when I realised that coming out to 2ft wide would allow a roundy round in N gauge whilst still not taking up too much space, and if I shortend the length I could fit all the other furniture in AND have a much larger scenic area. So that's what I've ended up with 7ft x 26inches. All visible curves are 12inch radius, and only large radius Peco points on the main running lines. The track is peco code 55, and control is DCC, although points are controlled the old fashioned way with peco switches (I had a lot left over). Hidden under the track in several places are Dapol uncoupling magnets. Whilst I find these very reliable their appearance doesn't do it for me. So I've cut out the sleepers, installed the magnet then put some thing micro strip sleeps glued back on top. Once painted and ballasted the magnets are nearly invisible, at least as much as I can't find them when shunting. Now the track and wiring is done I'm making a stat on the scenery. The contours have been made with polystyrene, card and plaster, and the basic ground colours applied - although there is a lot of white plaster still to be covered up!

I wanted to get a flavour of some of the spots I've enjoyed in Cornwall, especially the idea of large locos and industry in the middle of nowhere. So whilst totally freelance, and based on a secondary line running from the South to North coast, it takes its inspiration from places like Boscarne Junction, Coombe Junction, Nanpean Wharf, Wenford Bridge and so on. One layout in here that's really inspired me is Wheal Elizabeth and so I've gone for the multi era approach from the early 60s to the mid 80s. Basically there is a mainline running round and round, with a loop and a junction for a freight branch heading up to the hills. There's a tiny halt on the loop - which will have changeable buildings for the two eras - with minimal facilities, and behind the loop is a headshunt and loading dock, leading to a small clay works.

Perhaps the rough iPad photos might show a bit more
post-9774-0-02187000-1472767023_thumb.jpg
post-9774-0-70493500-1472767052_thumb.jpg

A ex-SR N class brings a passenger train through the halt whilst in the background a pannier shuffles wagons round the clay works. This scene was inspired by the pictures of trains squeezing past the cottages at Hellandbridge

post-9774-0-55374900-1472767164_thumb.jpg
post-9774-0-08562500-1472767190_thumb.jpg

Moving forward 20years as a 101 DMU pauses for the very occasional passenger. The signal box is scratch built based on the one at Coombe Junction (thanks to BCNPete on here for the drawings), and the keepers cottage is the one still standing at St Blazey. The odd shaped hut is the shunters office from the Drinnick Mill junction

post-9774-0-00401500-1472767380_thumb.jpg
One of the scenes that first interested me in the China clay railways of Cornwall, a loco squeezing under Lamellion bridge at Coombe junction. In my imagination I have assumed that the branch was originally a lightly laid tramway replacing an earlier canal (the arch to the left), hence the tight clearances. Later the 'mainline' arrived and the tramway upgraded, hence the newer bridge to the right. The bridge took a lot of maths (and trial and error) to work out the curves and skew. But even a mk3 coach will just make it through.

post-9774-0-30991300-1472767646_thumb.jpg
It must be summer as a longer loco hauled train passes through without stopping. Despite the layouts small size it will happily accommodate 6 coach trains (a 6+2 HST will just fit in the fiddle yard for the Saturday excursions) or a 37 and 12 CDAs, which isn't far off a prototypical rake

So there's the start. At the moment it all looks a bit of a mess before the ground cover gets worked on properly. And I need to paint the front of the boards. But at least I have somewhere reliable I can play trains in the warm now. I think this ones a keeper......

post-9774-0-82249800-1472767354_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomJ
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Sometimes I think the most useful thing of posting on here is showing me the before and after photos. When I think that I've not done much on the layout I look at the last post and realise how much has changed.

Now the track laying and wiring is but a distant memory I've been playing trains and starting on the scenery. Nothing ground shattering here - expanded polystyrene formers (one trip to IKEA and I have enough for a lifetime of layouts!) covered in sculptamold. Roads were made with poly filler smoothed and sanded down. Then everything got a base cover of paint, green for the grassy areas and earth colour for everything else. Finally static grass (via the Gaugemaster puffer bottle) and a mix of woodland scenics scatter for the yard and earthy areas. It's starting to come together. At the back the forest is a mix of remade trees and some I made from woodland scenics kits. I need to work out how to make bushes and undergrowth, particularly gorse bushes to give the Cornish look

post-9774-0-78320200-1476303851_thumb.jpg

Looking towards the bridges where the lines disappear into the undergrowth. I've used longer fibres here so the grass really looks overgrown and unkempt. I've assumed the branch line was an old tramway built over the original canal - like at Moorswater - hence the two arches on the bridge, based on the one at Coombe Junction. A 25 waits on between shunting the clay hoods. Behind it is a Queen Mary brake an, used for trips down the branch which have to be propelled (like Ponts Mill or Carbis Whark) due to lack of run round. At the back a couple of vans are being unloaded of fertiliser.

post-9774-0-12152600-1476303973_thumb.jpg

The 122 bubble car waits at the station. In the background is a heavily wooded embankment, inspired by Boscarne Junction. I think ultimately I will build two platforms that drop into the space, one being WR early 60s - the one currently on the layout - and another for the BR 80s era

post-9774-0-49615600-1476304616_thumb.jpg

An overall view of pretty much the whole layout. Despite it not being huge (7ft x 2ft) it will sensibly take decent length trains - a 37 and 18 hoods will fit in the loop, and the yard with a bit of shunting. A 37 was only allowed to take 22 hoods out of Moorswater so this isn't too much compromising.

I've also been thinking about operations. I'm not planning on a timetable per se but a sequence of suitable trains. There's five roads in the fiddle yard, of varying length. The longest will hold the summer loco hauled trains, at the moment a 47 with six or seven mk1 or NSE livery mk2. I can just fit a 6+2 HST instead. Then there will be a bulk train of 18 clay hoods or 12 CDAs for the clay works - either 25 or 37 hauled. The sa,e loco will also haul the speed link trip, mostly clay but also household coal, cement and fertiliser (all Cornish examples). Local trains are either a 122 bubble car or a 101 DMU. Finally the shortest road holds the 08 and a few clay wagons for the branchline workings.

I've concentrated so far on the right hand end of the layout, next is the other end and the clayworks. But this involves the inset track for the works so I'm in no rush!!

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Finally I had to tackle the infilled track around the clayworks! I couldn't really progress with the scenery in this area until it was done. Infilled track was such a characteristic feature of the clay areas I couldn't really avoid it. To simplfy things I've avoided the point work and tried to mainly cover just the straight track - but even this wasn't easy!

I've read on here (and tried) numerous schemes for such track, non of them with great success. I think part of the problem is that n gauge tolerances and flanges are so large, so it can look rather daft with huge gaps at the end. Finally I've settled on using card formers cut to shape, with much trial and error, and das clay to fill the gaps. Follow this post for the 'after' photos when I've painted it to see how badly it's turned out,

post-9774-0-54393300-1478269356_thumb.jpg

post-9774-0-32223800-1478269375_thumb.jpg

Finally an intruder!! I'm aware tht the 33s rarely (if ever) seen across the Tamar, but this has mainly been brought for an alternative North Devon project. Still stranger things have happened, and if you can have sleeper locos pulling loco hauled coaches from Exeter to Par perhaps you can have one of Exeter's 33s pulling a Exeter to Newquay train. It's a superb loco and runs really well. Here it's in charge of a motley crew of parcel vans

.post-9774-0-14925500-1478269670_thumb.jpg

Let's see how it comes out when painted.......

Edited by TomJ
  • Like 3

Actually it's not turned out too bad!!!

post-9774-0-29111400-1478522481_thumb.jpg

The over scale flanges don't look too obvious now it's painted especially when not viewed directly above. I've given it a basic coat of Woodland Scenics concrete base - once I've filled the gaps between the edge and the clay works with Das I'll try to weather the whole thing that distinctive off white clay look.

Since I was on a roll I've done the wooden boarding for the level crossing

post-9774-0-61431500-1478522644_thumb.jpg

It took a fair bit of trial and error to get the shapes right! The next layout I build will be set in open countryside with not a hint of tram track, inlaid track or level crossings. It is at this point I usually wonder why on earth I chose to model in N gauge! Then I have to run my 47 with 7 coaches to realise why I do!!!

It's made me realise what a wonderful tool the Internet, particularly Google street view, is for research. I had no idea what the roadway in a level crossing looked like, but this way I could actually look at several. Even putting 1980s level crossing into search produced many useful pictures. It's the best way I can visit Cornwall in a morning from Yorkshire!

Warley show in a couple of weeks ( just got my tickets - very excited my 6yr lad is coming with me for the first time) and I have a shopping list of scenic detailing that gets longer and longer.....Off to deepest Cornwall again to find out what fencing ECC use round their clay works.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Looking back at the last post reassures me that there has actually been some progress!

The highlight of the last few weeks was a visit to Warley. I go most years but this was the first time I took my 6yr son. He loved it, I had a great time and we saw some great layouts. More importantly from the point of view of this thread is that it has given me lots of inspiration for the scenery. Scenery is something I find very difficult because it relies on artistic skill which I don't have a lot of. I'm ok with kit building or structures, things involving measurement and straight lines and rulers, but get stuck on the creative side. So I spoke to lots of layout operators, demonstrators and traders and came away with lots of ideas, and even more products! Thanks to everyone for all their help.

So here's a few photos of my attempt to create that elusive 'atmosphere', the Cornish look of scrub, overgrown hedges and bracken. Some of its come out ok, some of its frankly a bit rubbish but for a fist attempt it's not too and and something to work on. Opinions and comments most welcome.

post-9774-0-82643900-1481897118_thumb.jpg

post-9774-0-09720700-1481897140_thumb.jpg

post-9774-0-45814800-1481897167_thumb.jpg

post-9774-0-49961600-1481897189_thumb.jpgpost-9774-0-69438500-1481897261_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of progress on the clay works. The main dry has been extended back slightly - so it's against the back scene properly - and finally gained a roof! Took the opportunity to add a few details such as drainpipes which really do make a difference. Inside I've added some piles of clay and a figure shovelling it. It's not noticeable at a normal angle but with the front being so open I thought it was needed. Then the whole inset track area was given a light airbrushing of light grey to represent clay dust. It needs more work but as a first coat it's looking better. I tested the inset track and amazingly it all works! The gaps between the concrete and rails are far over sized but that the compromise for good running. The main challenge shunting is to remember where the magnet for uncoupling is buried! I'll have to add a marker of some sort.

Also did a bit of work on the station and added lamps and fencing. The long term plan will be to have two platforms, a 1960s and 1980s one but for now the 1960s will do. There are examples of platforms that seemed to recovers very little modifications over the years until the early 80s so it doesn't look too out of place.

Other than that's its been doing the little jobs like adding chimney pots and such like. Small jobs that I put off once th excitement of the main build is over but which make such a difference.

post-9774-0-49252400-1484059896_thumb.jpg

post-9774-0-23855200-1484059915_thumb.jpg

post-9774-0-69812800-1484059933_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

A few more photos of the more recent progress. Mostly working on the detailing now. It's a,axing what a difference a few items like signals and telegraph poles make! I've also tried a little bit of weathering in some of the stock.

First photos from the early 1960s and the last few years of steam in Cornwall

post-9774-0-71206800-1487255542_thumb.jpg

A 57xx pulls some milk tanks through Camelbridge whilst the new order in the shape of railcar awaits a handful of passengers

post-9774-0-80224700-1487255672_thumb.jpg

An M7 (maybe one day Kernow/DJM will do the O2 in N???) with a couple of Maunsell coaches on a Padstow train

post-9774-0-60227900-1487255742_thumb.jpg

Looking over the level crossing. Details like the fencing, road markings and a couple of cars start to make the scene look less toy like. The VW camper and Beetle have been chosen so they'll fit in the 60s and 80s!

post-9774-0-17274400-1487255831_thumb.jpg

A 'what if'. I can't imagine they'll ever be a Beattie Well Tank in N but perhaps they drafted in a couple of elderly Terrier tanks as replacements. I picked this one uo cheaply at a show. It's still in its southern livery - perhaps the local shed have a soft spot for it? Or maybe I'll have to bit the bullet and repaint it. Either way, just like the actual Well Tanks, it's likely to be replaced by a shiny 03 diesel soon!

Next post a few pics from the 80s I think

• Like 4

As mentioned earlier the layout is designed to run stock from the 1960s through to the 1980s - which is possible because a lot of traditional features still remained on the lines, and some of the small clay works like Wenford Bridge and Carbis Wharf were pretty unchanged till their closures. The main anachronism is the station - although even there small halts like Quintrell Down still had a level crossing with gates, a traditional pagoda and other features till the early 80s. In the long run I think I'll make a second platform with a run down bus shelter or similar that can be slotted in

post-9774-0-04554600-1487260407_thumb.jpg

The stock hasn't changed - just the liveries - as a bubble car waits for the increasingly few passengers

post-9774-0-34880100-1487260462_thumb.jpg

A 37 shunts a couple of vans whilst an 08 waits for the loop. Larger locos are banned from the branch so often an 08 will trip wagons down to the junction for another loco to take on. In the foreground is a Dapol signal. I brought a couple before reading about all the problems people have had. As per the new instructions they are powered from a 9v supply (a battery) and if reliable I'll get a couple more

post-9774-0-02161800-1487260639_thumb.jpg

post-9774-0-70559800-1487260657_thumb.jpg

Another what if! Imagining that like the Barnstaple line there's still a few loco hauled passenger and parcel trains to supply Wadebridge, Padstow and North cornwall. Here a 25 brings a motley collection of filthy vans and limited seating accommodation through Camelbridge.

So that's it for now. Next job is to do something with the grass in front of the station and to add the small details of debris etc round the clay works

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom, I've been watching the thread, noticed there don't seem to be any comments so allow me to wade in! I really like what you've managed here, you've made good use of the space and the back story elements are just what I thought of when contemplating a china clay layout (however many years ago...!) - tramway with limited clearance & propelled traffic, a few sidings for wagon shuffling and exchanging locos, clay dries and the basic halt with some passenger traffic. All grouped very effectively and the scenery is coming along nicely - gorse bushes very typical!

You need to leave off the North Devon line traffic though, that's mine! ;)

Thanks Rich for the comments - and thanks for being the first to respond!

I'm glad you like what I've been trying to do. It's taking several attempts (and a few dead end alleys) to get here, and I've certainally never got anything as remotely complete as this. The roundy approach means I can just leave a train running which is quite relaxing. It's also lots of fun for my son who is getting quite handy with the DCC handset.

Whilst not actually based on any location I've been inspired by a few locations in Cornwall - Boscarne junction particularly, goonbarrow junction, Coombe Junction, Ponts Mill and the Wenford branch. I toyed with having no passenger facilities at all but compromised with a halt. I'm supposing it's set somewhere in mid Cornwall, on a branch linking the south to the north coast, somewhere the GWR and SR might have met. It's important to me to establish a back story, so the layout (even if not a slavish copy) is plausible and believable.

And thanks for the comments on the scenery - gorse and brambles took a lot of working out!

Hi

Looking good......

I agree with Rambling Rich's comments above & also sp1's that there have not been more responses....

Oddly ,& I don't know why, I think the layout looks better in BR Blue than Steam....

Can't put my finger on why.....

Either way, very good......

Cheers Bill

Edited by treggyman

• RMweb Gold

I'm biased towards the blue era too but that's personal preference! As Tom said, there is an advantage to modelling out-of-the-way places where not much happened as you can get away with an extended timescale (assuming you have the time/money/resources/skills to do so!).

I'm sensing that BR blue has the edge here on RMWeb!

TBH I got into the BR blue period by accident but now it's rather growing on me! My first interest has always been steam, I love visiotng preserved lines etc far more than watching modern trains. And an interest in the GWR plus family holidays in the West Country led to an interest in the Classic GWR branch. Seeing Pengwyn Crossing in the railway modeller got me interested I'm the out of the way China clay industry, I especially liked places like Wenford Bridge where you seemed to have industrial plants in rural countryside.

So the original plan was a steam era line in Cornwall based on the clay industry. I got lots of the John Vaighan books for inspiration and ideas and it was through this I started getting interested in the trains I vaguely remembered from my childhood. I'd always dismissed 'modern image' as long block freights on the mainline with little to suit a space starved branchline modeller. But here were examples of mainline diesels pulling sometimes four or five wagons (often of different types), down signal track lines, past semaphore signals. It was the mix of 1980s locos and stock and an almost steam era infrastructure that got me interested.

The final piece of the jigsaw was seeing the superb Wheal Elizabeth - which also introduced me to RMWeb after I googled China clay railways. Here was a perfect example of the multi era layout I was looking for. So this is what led me, after several failed attempts, to make Camelbridge!! Gradually I've been building up stock for both eras (a few items like the mineral wagons can actually run in both!) but overall it's cheaper - and much more acceptable to MrsJ - than building two layouts.

Glad people seem to like it, I was worried I was talking to myself on here! I think I'll post some more BR blue pics in a while

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm still listening! ;)

BR blue gets my vote due to growing up in that era, even if not anywhere near Cornwall. The 'crumbling edge of quality' even has some appeal to me with old methods and infrastructure struggling to modernize. I feel it has the residual traffic variety without the complexity of portraying steam. Post 1976 you don't even have the bother of getting headcodes correct!

That's my 2 penn'orth anyway....

I got the impression that the BR blue was the more popular period - so I've concentrated on this for the next photos. The more recent work has just been a bit of fettling really, trying to clean up some spots where running wasn't great. I've concentrated on the clay works inset track and now the 25/1 will crawl through at walking pace, pushing a rake of hoods with no problems. The flange gaps are way over scale for n gauge but a compromise worth making for good running. The mess at the front is where I've built a holder for my DCC handset so I don't have wires trailing all over the room when not running. When it's dry I'll paint the whole front white or black, depending what I can find in the garage!

post-9774-0-13831600-1487947342_thumb.jpg

The 25 shunts hoods into the yard. These are the Kernow/Farish ones and although the hoods need turning down a bit the wagons look great

post-9774-0-98026100-1487947427_thumb.jpg

Off peak a bubble car more than suffices for the few passengers. In the background the 08 waits for the branch in what I hope is a recreation of the Ponts Mill trips. In the absence of clay tiger wagons I'm using Dapol slurry silver bullets. A bit out of period but I couldn't resist. I believe there is a 3d print of a clay tiger so I might work up the courage

post-9774-0-33583400-1487947540_thumb.jpg

Class 37 William Cookworthy shunts some vans. I've added the nameplate and decals and etched brass windows and grills. I'm not yet brave enough to attempt lowering it for the complete makeover! In the background is some of the non clay traffic - calcified seaweed for fertiliser in POA wagons. This was loaded at Drinnick Mill/Nanpean Wharf, even though this must be the further spot from the sea in Cornwall!

post-9774-0-14201000-1487947680_thumb.jpg

post-9774-0-40423500-1487947698_thumb.jpg

It must be a summer Saturday as a 47 brings a longish rake of NSE liveried mk2 coaches non stop through Camelbridge. These are secondhand old Farish mk2, with Electra Graphics printed sides, modified under frames and roof vents added. Typically Farish announced their own models just after I'd built them! Still I'm proud they're my own work - and the whole lot cost less than £50! The photos also give a bit of an overview of the whole layout.

• Like 2

The layouts looking 80% + completed (although I suspect it's the final bits that take forever!!!) - all of it works well, and I've been off for a couple of days. So of course I've been playing trains. One thing that I still really enjoy is the Dapol uncouplers, so I can really enjoy hands free shunting. I can't get the delayed re-coupling to work but the uncoupling is almost 100% reliable, so with some strategically placed magnets I can pretty much do any shunting moves I can invisage

One thing I didn't like about the original magnets was that they looked a little intrusive, so with a bit of trial and error I've hidden them all. Perhaps because they are a little lower this is why the delayed re-coupling doesn't work, perhaps the magnetic force isn't strong enough? A couple are hidden under a barrow crossing, two are under the infilled track in the clay works, and the others have been buried under false sleepers. Basically I've removed the original sleepers and fitted the magnets as per the instructions. Then I've strayed the area sleep grime and glued on thin micro strip false sleepers. Although a little higher than the original sleepers, and much shallower, once ballasted they're pretty well hidden. The only problem is remembering where they are now, especially the ones in the clay works! Some strategic prompts will be needed.

One day I'll learn how to make a video for here but for now here's a selection of photos showing how a train shunts the clay works. It's late 80s with a 37 and CDA wagons until I get enough hoods! I've converted the ends of four wagons to Dapol easishunt couplings so I can have two short rakes. The layout will easily accommodate a train of 12 CDAs, the original rakes were 15 in reality so this is pretty close

post-9774-0-72224800-1488448074_thumb.jpg

post-9774-0-46412400-1488448093_thumb.jpg

The train arrives at Camelbridge and waits for the signal for the loop

post-9774-0-13985900-1488448138_thumb.jpg

post-9774-0-39145700-1488448163_thumb.jpg

Whilst a 101 DMU enters the station the 37 waits in the loop. As its fractionally too long to clear the points local instructions allow it to draw forward slightly onto the branch! Once the 101 has left the engine uncouples, using the magnet hidden under the crossing and runs round

post-9774-0-00504900-1488448281_thumb.jpg

post-9774-0-53274000-1488448297_thumb.jpg

Now using another magnet the train is split into two sections to be propelled into the sidings, where they can be then pulled into the works a section at a time for loading. In the background a van waits for a train to take it up the branch to one of the remoter clay works

post-9774-0-87748700-1488448394_thumb.jpg

Now loaded the train has reformed and is waiting for the bubble car to clear the line before returning to Fowey Docks ( or the fiddle yard)!

The fiddle yard has five rounds, of varying length so my standard 1980s set up is one block train of hoods or CDAs on the dead end siding, usually 37 hauled, a branch freight of an 08, couple of wagons and brake van, one road with a couple of DMUs, another road with the general clay/speedlink freight - class 37 or 25 and finally one road with a 47 and coaches for the summer trains. So plenty of action and variety in a small space

These photos have highlighted all the areas that need touching up, especially where the White scenery shows through. It never seems to get covered up. Others of a similar age may recall reading of Adrian Mole trying to repaint his bedroom and Noddys bells constantly showing through. This is not dissimilar!!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I always enjoy photo sequences like this showing how layouts operate, it's one of the things that would be very rare in a magazine.
How do wagons get moved into the clay works once left in the sidings? Does the loco go through ahead of the wagons?

Edited by Ramblin Rich

Thanks for all the comments. At the moment photos are just taken on my iPad so I can quickly upload them. I'll have a look at editing/cropping them or maybe even try a camera.

With regards to operation once the rakes are in the siding the loco simply pulls them past the clay loading point one rake at a time. I am however quite keen on getting an industrial shunter for the works. Perhaps the new N gauge society proposal or may be a Farish 03 - which could of course double up as the branch engine in the 60s - as per Wenfordbridge. I keep dreaming that there'll be a Beattie Well Tabk in N gauge on day!

The alternative way to shunt the works is for the train to pull straight into the sidings then back its wagons into the clay works. This only works for rakes of 10 or less CDAs and isn't as much fun! The train then runs round in the loop after loading before departing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dilemmas, dilemmas, dilemmas.

Thanks to a reorganisation of household furniture I have the opportunity to extend. The current layout is 7ft long but now I can have the whole of one wall of the box room so I can extend to 8 or even 9ft. In many ways this would be a huge advantage. I could easily run fairly full length trains - a 7+2 HST or a Castle with 8 coaches on a holiday special. And long rakes of clay wagons. The easiest way to extend would be at the left hand end, so I could just extend the loop and fiddle yard. I could also put a crossover n the clay works, so that with an industrial shunter the works and exchange sidings could effectively be a separate layout. My 6yr loves operating the layout, so with DCC this could really be a fun two person layout - one running trains round the layout and the other shunting the yard and exchanging wagons between them.

So what's the downside? Well the layout is approaching completion - certainly far further than I've ever got before. Extending will be a big upheaval, and will surely involve much altering of scenery etc. So when do I extend? Do I just do it now and re do the scenery at the left hand end or do I complete it as it is, enjoy it for a bit then take it down and re do it? The latter approach means that anything I do at the end will only ever be temporary so not sure if I can be motivated.

Decisions to be made. I'll have to sit down whilst watching the trains go round and think it through.

Hi

A true dilemma.....

To me the key is that your 6year old enjoys operating the layout so whatever you choose to do you want to try to keep any break in the ability to run trains as short a time as possible so that he keeps interested.....

If you can keep the layout operable then the scenics can take as long as they take......

My guess is that he enjoys the operation & if a part of the layout isn't finished scenically his imagination will take over.....

Good luck with solving your dilemma......

Cheers Bill

• 2 months later...

Following on from my last post I've done a bit of civil engineering! A restructuring of the household furniture(!) has led to a whole wall of the box room becoming free. So I've taken the plunge and extended by 15inch! It might not seem much but it will allow for a much longer fiddle yard (able to hold a loco and 8 coaches or a 2+7 HST for th summer service) with more roads for stock. The other benefit is that it will allow for a bit more separation of the clayworks and the loop back to the fiddle yard so hopefully look a little less 'trainset' like

I think I will also extend the loop in the station so the longer trains don't foul the points, which should look a bit more realistic. I'm not sure if I'll move the level crossing - I might assume that when the gwr took over th line they extended the loop for summer trains but the level crossing was already in situ. There are plenty of examples where long trains block level crossings when held at signals and I feel that is a little more realistic than overhanging the loop.

The other change I'll make while working underneath the layout is some working lighting. I've fitted a couple of the Dapol signals and in the gloom with the DCC lights of the trains and the signals it looks very atmospheric. Clearly a remote village like this would have few lights so I'm just going to fit a couple to the platform, light up the signal box and maybe a streetlight indicating the entrance to the halt? I'm not sure about the clayworks - would it be lit up or would operations only occur during daylight?

When there's a bit of track down I'll post some more pictures

post-9774-0-37506900-1495268268_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomJ
  • Like 2