Model railway shops between Harwich and Stansted

Vistisen

I just typed the below and realise I got it in the wrong direction, but you can reverse it!

If you are on public transport you can get a bus from Stansted to Chelmsford to visit John Dutfield. Take a train from there to Colchester and you can visit Mankim, or just change trains for Ipswich Derby Road (change at Ipswich) and visit the Ipswich Model Railway Centre where there are three model railway shops - Scograil, Coastal DCC and a continental model railway shop (might be another part of Scograil).

Then continue by train to Felixstowe, and walk to the ferry to Harwich and take another train to Harwich International, or just go by train all the way (change at Ipswich, and possibly Manningtree too)!

• RMweb Premium

If you are travelling by car, which from your other post I believe you are then what shop you could visit much depends on the time available.

I'd tend to allow about 90mins for Harwich to Stanstead via the A120, e.g Colchester/Marks Tey/Braintree. A visit to Scograil/Ipswich would add at least 60mins plus browsing time (easiest for you probably up the A12 from Colchester, then back down again), not much detour for Mankin 10-15mins, and between 30-60 mins detour for John Dutfield. All are good shops I use on a fairly regular basis, but Dutfields might be seen to have the most amount for easy browsing, and possibly the widest range of bits and pieces, and less hassle than Scograil for getting to Stanstead afterwards.

Izzy

Archived