Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Property for Sale

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, already sufficiently far West to be the modern equivalent of a rotten borough, council in the pocket of a small coterie?

My thinking was predicated on the crossing - and thus the keeper's cottage -  likely having originally been on a public road; and since there must have been continuous access since to the cottage,  (if no further) then there's established right of way, so no difficulty in development access. Get the planning permission on the plot, which with appeal will almost certainly be obtainable whatever the local situation may be, and then see how it plays. Selling at the established potential value to someone wanting to prevent development on their boundary/in 'their' view/on 'my' drive, etc. can be a good deal.

The problem with the plot is its shape (narrow) with the railway boundary on one side and a road on the other plus the path across one end to the foot crossing - have a look at it on Google Maps.

• RMweb Premium

(ignore the marker, that's on a different property to indicate the postcode):

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Semley,+Shaftesbury+SP7+9AP/@51.042905,-2.1635653,246m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4873c97b12e7d5d7:0xcfc2e4669869b20c!8m2!3d51.0427713!4d-2.1627003

That through road is going to be a problem for quite a few people, probably, so that might affect the price too.

• RMweb Premium

The road past the house appears to be private and part of the property. Google Streetview shows the west end is gated with a 'Private Land' sign and a cattle grid but doesn't show the east end by the house. Bing Maps Bird's Eye shows a change in surface at the east end. 

• RMweb Gold

The road past the house appears to be private and part of the property. Google Streetview shows the west end is gated with a 'Private Land' sign and a cattle grid but doesn't show the east end by the house. Bing Maps Bird's Eye shows a change in surface at the east end. 

That's why I'd expect to see a link to a legal pack containing deeds and information on exactly what is the situation regarding access rights and other matters. There could even be some sort of restriction on use tying the property to railway use only. Pure speculation but I would not be surprised if the ownership details of this property are not straightforward.

• RMweb Gold

That's why I'd expect to see a link to a legal pack containing deeds and information on exactly what is the situation regarding access rights and other matters. There could even be some sort of restriction on use tying the property to railway use only. Pure speculation but I would not be surprised if the ownership details of this property are not straightforward.

I would be very surprised if BR (or whoever closed the crossing to vehicular traffic) had been able to sell it without an access agreement over the section of road which was obviously built to allow the crossing to be closed - in fact providing the new access and closure of the crossing plus retention of access to the crossing cottage were probably all part of one agreement.  The thing to watch will be the maintenance agreements for that extra bit of access road which might put costs on the cottage owner.

• RMweb Premium

Look at that land......

If you are confident with building renovation then that is a great place. Wish I was young and brave.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Look at that land......

If you are confident with building renovation then that is a great place. Wish I was young and brave.

Phil

Not many trains either - only 5 northbound passenger trains between 07.00ish and 19.15ish on the JOB timetable, I didn't bother to look at southbound but it will probably be somewhere between 3 and 6 knowing secondary lines (in fact it might even be 5, strange things do sometimes happen on SNCF rural lines - and having checked there are indeed 5 :O )

Mind you it is more or less in the middle of nowhere and the land behind it is a right messy jungle - but  a nice bay window for watching the trains go by.

Archived