Barrier Wagons on Tanker Trains

Chris Chewter

• RMweb Gold

I was flicking through the Railway Modeller in the newsagents, when I stumbled across a letter published where the reader stated that steam hauled oil tanker trains ran with barrier wagons, for the obvious good reason! Whilst acknowledging the sound logic behind this arrangement, I couldn't shake the image I found on the internet of a 9f hauling a train of what looks to be TTA's without a barrier wagon.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:cxY3VGyKRyRu7M:http://www.nwrail.org.uk/ch1967-cheadle-9f.jpg

My question is, was this a new train of TTAs running empty for first use, and therefore a barrier wagon is irrelevant (They do appear pretty shiny!), or have I found that photograph of the exception to the rule?

It's because they're class B tanks, therefore carrying less inflammable (flammable?) products, They also wont be TTAs, although they might well be vac with through air pipe at that date

This is the most recent thread on barrier usage, as it's one of those things that comes up all the time; there are most certainly others, although some might be on the old forum

Quite probable that they are actually Vacuum braked tanks as they were not uncommon many later converted to Air brakes for example the Distillers CO2 tanks.

Mark Saunders

Production of large numbers of these wagons started in 1964, whilst air-braking for new PO stock was started until 1966, so they would have been vac-braked. There were quite a few workings with steam haulage around the North-West and Yorkshire using this design of tank. Some were for Class B petroluem products, others for various chemical flows.

• RMweb Premium

Language digression:

Ian: the word is supposed to be inflammable, meaning that the stuff can be inflamed. But many people took it to be the negative of flammable, so for safety the trend is to use flammable.

Archived