What Alco do you have?

JAMO

Aaaah, first morning in Portugal, woken to the sound of an Alco crossing the harbour bridge in Faro. Great holiday. Class 50s (well, squashed up a bit) too. Luckily US Hobbies catalogue (yes, O-scale) RSC truck never got made or I might have spent time and money away from the D&H. Gridwatcher, did we discuss my Portuguese holiday collection some time ago? Regret house move interrupted, still got it.

Jason

• Like 2

Aaaah, first morning in Portugal, woken to the sound of an Alco crossing the harbour bridge in Faro. Great holiday. Class 50s (well, squashed up a bit) too. Luckily US Hobbies catalogue (yes, O-scale) RSC truck never got made or I might have spent time and money away from the D&H. Gridwatcher, did we discuss my Portuguese holiday collection some time ago? Regret house move interrupted, still got it.

Jason

We have moved on (not sure if you have seen thread) but there is a Portuguese layout Campo De Leste (Eastfield (sic!)) on the show circuit in the UK. Thread is in Overseas modelling and then Portuguese Modelling....

I have got other CP Alcos...... but they are RED! This one is rather fanciful Overland Brass number which is in a 'what if - livery' I bought it like this very cheaply and cannot bring myself to repaint it. Fitted sound and a very big speaker too. It sounds immense! and these two in rather more accurate livery!

post-657-0-13181800-1507876092_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-43423800-1507876181_thumb.jpg

Edited by gridwatcher
  • Like 3

Two Flag was always my favorite CP scheme. And the last ALCOs were retried right around the time it was introduced IIRC, so not as wild as some schemes.

The "two flags/CP Rail System" logo is my constant reminder that this signified CP's full takeover of the Soo Line. :( :mad:

Two Flag was always my favorite CP scheme. And the last ALCOs were retried right around the time it was introduced IIRC, so not as wild as some schemes. 

That was the rationale of the guy who had it. He reckoned it was possible if they had had a 6 month reprieve....!

Perfectly possible as one or two of the Alcos were about at least 6 months after the 2 flag scheme was introduced.

Further investigation shows Sd40-2F 9000 was painted in dual flag May 1993 and one of the last Big Alcos lasted to August 1995, over two years of an overlap.

The "two flags/CP Rail System" logo is my constant reminder that this signified CP's full takeover of the Soo Line. :( :mad:

I'm too young to remember the Soo being independent. I just have fond memories of new AC4400s and smart looking SD40-2 in two flag mixing in with plenty of unrepainted Soo units. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Alco PAs and FAs look good in any livery (well, within reason....). The best orange liveries IMO were some of those used by the Milwaukee road, I recently bought an FM C-Liner in Milwaukee orange which is quite splendid, the mighty Little Joe electrics looked tremendous in the orange/black livery.

Talking of GN Alcos, an Atlas O-scale T'man RS3 passed thru my hands at the Winchester Meet yesterday.  An HO modeller there was fond of it - and on the brink - 'cos he had the HO version, same road number....  Anyway, some kind soul purchased it and he was able to stand tall again. 

Didn't sell the RSD15 though ... £150. :) 

post-3631-0-99219700-1508067077_thumb.jpg

More pics on the Winchester Meet thread later

post-3631-0-95480000-1508067120_thumb.jpg

Jason

• Like 4

What terrific machines...

It's no wonder those 244s broke so much, though. When they're running properly they smoke like that and sound like a washing machine full of spanners, so how could you tell the difference when they're not running properly?

• RMweb Gold

What terrific machines...

It's no wonder those 244s broke so much, though. When they're running properly they smoke like that and sound like a washing machine full of spanners, so how could you tell the difference when they're not running properly?

Weren't the D&H PA4s rebuilt with 251 engines?

Great pic to start the day! Good job I didn't see it last night or I wouldn't have slept easily fretting over the half-built pair in the garage....

They were rebuilt, the book covering this has been republished, I'll dig out the details. First rode behind them in 1974(!), still modelling the D&H.

Jason

• Like 2