Carrs (Ash) Ballast Query

I have purchased some 2mm Carrs Dark Grey Ballast (C1154) which I intend to use to ballast my depot but have seen reference to Carrs Ash Ballast (C1180).

Is this a finer version of what I have?  I cannot locate it anywhere (C&L Finescale site doesn't seem to have it?).  Or is it the same as what I have bought and the name has changed?  I'm sure I've seen layouts which purport to have used Carrs ballast which is finer than the stuff I have bought.

I have Woodland Scenics Fine Cinders but this is the right texture but too dark and like the colour of the Carrs Dark Grey Ballast (but find it too course even the 2mm).

Ash tends to vary a lot in colour and, like you, I decided that WS fine cinders was too dark.  I made my own, using kiln dried sand (as supplied for brushing over block paving) which I sprayed matt tyre black from a car accessory shop.  It turned out quite dark with a brownish tint but after laying it, I sprinkled Peco PS 364 Ash Powder in appropriate places.  PS 364 is a very light grey and readily available.  It is possible that spraying the sand with matt, dark grey rather than black would be better.  If you try it, do it in a well- ventilated area and wear a face-mask; I put the sand in a tin box and sprayed it in a makeshift booth (large cardboard box).  Leave to dry overnight or even longer.  The sand tends to coagulate after spraying but it readily breaks up again by stirring etc.  I laid the ballast in the same way as the normal ballast - PVA/water mix.

Harold.

I use ash from the 'barby', it must be the stuff that comes from burning charcoal brickets and not the wood charcoal.

Method is to sieve it in a fine mesh sieve to remove the chicken bones. Spread it over the track as if ballasting and spray with a fine mist of water, not too much as it tends to float. When it is nicely damped down put some drops of PVA glue mixed with water (50/50) from a syringe.

When it is dry it is the right colour of light grey, you can then go along adding patches of black and darker grey using paint.

The factory that C&L got their ballast from had a serious accident a year or so ago, in which key people sadly lost their lives. I believe it was an explosion caused by ignition of dust. As far as I know the factory never re-opened. Pete of C&L did have a note on the website explaining that they could not guarantee any more stocks. I did ask him at an exhibition a while back, but of course given that people had been killed- people whom he knew personally, it was not appropriate to push too much.

Wasn't there a warning on here a while back that some ash (whether from a wood, coal or charcoal I cannot recall) could cause your baseboard, track or any loco it worked into to start to rot/rust/melt. Something to do with it being acidic (could also be high alkaline of course)? Certainly C&L, Greenscene and WS use dried and ground organic waste such as fruit (CL, GS) and nut (WS) which seems fairly inert.

I have used Carrs ash ballast on my 4 mm layout. To me, the texture seemed right in that scale but can't say whether it would suit 2 mm scale. A problem has occurred in that over a period of a year or so, the colour has faded from a mid grey to a fawny brown. Several others have reported the same issue, so perhaps that's why it isn't on the Carrs web site? The problem can be overcome easily enough by painting the ballast but that's going to be nearly as laborious as laying it in the first place.

Dave.

Thanks for comments.  I suspect it was the accident at the factory which is the reason for the non supply/availability of the Carrs 'Ash' Ballast. 

In my post I also meant I bought Carrs LIGHT Grey 2 mm ballast NOT Dark Grey!   Quarryscapes is right - Dark Grey would be too dark.  The Carrs Light Grey is the right colour for my purposes (it is darker than the Woodland Scenics Grey Ballast) but I need a finer texture and thought the Ash Ballast might be right. 

I will look at other options.

• RMweb Premium

If you dig around on old railway sidings or disused branch lines, you will almost certainly find the real thing. Dry it, bash it with a hammer and then sieve it. You will be surprised at the range of colours.

Just be careful about actually using it on your layout.

Ash is extremely variable and depends very much on the coal sources used for firing locos.

Colleagues in a neighbouring club decided to ballast their NER branch with real NER ash ballast treated exactly as above. After the branch refused to run, or at least run well and reliably, and after a lot of changes, adjustments and tests, they eventually found that the ballast was slightly electrically conductive.

This is not to say that all ash ballast or all ash will give the same problems - far from it - but do beware.

Archived