Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Model Railway Suppliers and Manufactures

Hi Guys

I have been having a though, I know that age creeps up on all of us, but I cant stop thinking about about all those model manufactures which are no more, as an example I am thinking of Sharman wheels, this in turn has lead me on to thinking there must be other small manufactures which we took for granted but are no more, one that comes to mind is Kings Cross models, now I only can recall having a few bits from them years ago but I wonder if there is a modern day equivalent and if so who would that be?

So the question is this who do you recall as being a very useful supplier of bits you have needed and if there is a modern day equivalent who do you use?     

These can be locos, coach and wagon kits of brass, white metal or even plastic injection if you like, also any body that used to produce buildings in card or plastic and then you have all those detailing parts as well.

Hopefully some of you will travel back down memory lane and think oh yes I wonder what happen to so and so's ranges of models and kits 

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

• RMweb Premium

/*Where to start?

Ks/Keyser - motors definitely iffy and wheel quartering became an issue if wheels had to be removed and put back on, but still an interesting range of locos and stock, much of which has never been done again

Colin Ashby - wagons

D&S - a few selected re-releases and some taken over by London Road Models - but mostly lost

Slater's 00 range - most coaches seem to still be found, but some wagons have vanished or command silly prices at auction.

Ian Kirk

Phoenix precision paints - more than half the range has vanished.

Coopercraft -- Alive it seems in theory only. Owner of Slater's 00 range - see comments above.

Ratio MR locos - much of the range is now in the hands of Peco but the locos have vanished

Nu Cast/ Autocom - some items slowly being re-released by SE Finecast.

PC coaches - never liked them myself, but they did provide a finished livery for those whose painting and lining skills are limited.

Jamieson - required skill but produced good models.

and probably many more - oh and don't get me started on French artisanal producers.

Some of the items from the above fall far short of modern standards but some stand very good comparison with todays models when carefully constructed.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As for suppliers, Mainly Trains used to stock just about anything you would ever need but sadly cut back and now have, I understand stopped trading.

• RMweb Premium

PC Models; not just the coach kits (of which I did make a few at a time when virtually no other LNER coaches were available), but also the other useful bits they supplied - buffers, wheels, BR Mk1 door handles, and etches for screw / 3-link couplings and associated fittings.

W&H Models of New Cavendish St, London. Their catalogue was about all you needed at one time as they seemed to stock everything made by everyone at the time. Only visited their shop once for some MTK parts, surprisingly small given their standing in the Model Railway world (nearest comparison I can think of is Walthers in the USA), they were a wholesaler much more than a retailer though. Ceased trading late 80s or early 90s iirc.

As already mentioned Mainly Trains used to be my source of most bits. It seems the case nowadays that many of the small, low volume kits & bits suppliers are limited largely to direct advertising and selling which may well keep the prices reasonable but limits their exposure possibly.

• Like 1

Agreed Martyn.  I visited W&H a couple of times when I visited London on business - a pokey place but an Aladdin's cave too.  I recall doing some brisk mail order business with them before the days of interthingy.

I did a lot of business with Mainly Trains, a proper online shop.  Back in the day they used to be a one stop shop for all the bits and pieces one needed.  In later years the stock did run down so my visits tapered off as I found other sources of supply.  Their MT branded etched parts are jewels and I hope they can be maintained.

John

Stephen Poole (I went to school with his younger brother), who used to make GER loco kits, as well as selling various whitemetal and brass(?) GER loco parts - chimneys, smokebox doors, Westinghouse pumps.

Other loco kits came from Bec Models and GEM (George Mellor?) and Wills Finecast (mostly re-issued).

Jackson wheels and couplings.

And then of course there was Hamblings, in an alley off the Charing Cross Road, if you liked being insulted for your ignorance! But I used to dribble a little bit as a youngster at the treasure in their ramshackle shop. Who could afford their hand-built locos, I wonder?

• Like 1

Stephen Poole (I went to school with his younger brother), who used to make GER loco kits, as well as selling various whitemetal and brass(?) GER loco parts - chimneys, smokebox doors, Westinghouse pumps.

Other loco kits came from Bec Models and GEM (George Mellor?) and Wills Finecast (mostly re-issued).

Jackson wheels and couplings.

GEM kits are still available from Thamesmead (IIRC)

Mainly Trains has indeed stopped trading:

http://www.mainlytrains.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Looks like it's in Limbo just now.

Keith

I think within these pages it was reported

that Dave Cleal had died after a long illness.

He was certainly a treasure house for white metal

castings and all kinds of bits & pieces.

Noel

Edited by Dazzler Fan

The 4mm 3H wagon kits with MGW wheelsets were a real leap in quality and affordability when they became available. Wish I had bought more of the LMS general merchandise open in the relatively short time they were on sale. (The 7mm kits may well have been good too.)

Yes! Their kits went together straight from the box, at least in my case. My first ever wagon kit was their LNER 6-plank open. Sadly missed!

/*Where to start?

Ks/Keyser - motors definitely iffy and wheel quartering became an issue if wheels had to be removed and put back on, but still an interesting range of locos and stock, much of which has never been done again

Colin Ashby - wagons

D&S - a few selected re-releases and some taken over by London Road Models - but mostly lost

Slater's 00 range - most coaches seem to still be found, but some wagons have vanished or command silly prices at auction.

Ian Kirk

Phoenix precision paints - more than half the range has vanished.

Coopercraft -- Alive it seems in theory only. Owner of Slater's 00 range - see comments above.

Ratio MR locos - much of the range is now in the hands of Peco but the locos have vanished

Nu Cast/ Autocom - some items slowly being re-released by SE Finecast.

PC coaches - never liked them myself, but they did provide a finished livery for those whose painting and lining skills are limited.

Jamieson - required skill but produced good models.

and probably many more - oh and don't get me started on French artisanal producers.

Some of the items from the above fall far short of modern standards but some stand very good comparison with todays models when carefully constructed.

In relation to Coopercraft/Ian Kirk. I spoke with the owner at Scaleforum (he seems friendly enough whenever I run into him at shows I've found). He mentioned he had the toolings redone for the Kirk 2-Bil, then Hornby released theirs and he gave up on bothering to release what he'd done. I suggested he release whatever he has in terms of Kirk coaches, even if just sides as they'd be sought after (particularly for conversions), and also putting out the Blacksmith etched sr kits he has (he said he had them all, but was given a huge pile of castings that he didn't know what went where etc), again suggested he just release whatever he has available at shows, I suspect it'd be sought after/sell. He did say he might look at offloading some of what he has via eBay though, whether he does I've no idea, but keep an eye out perhaps.

Talking of lost suppliers, Scenerama are a company I'd not heard of before I picked this old kit up last year for my "might come in useful one day" pile (from late 80s or early 90s I'm guessing) from the Corris Railway stand at a show.

post-28743-0-49098300-1476511716.jpgpost-28743-0-99354400-1476511749.jpgpost-28743-0-23419500-1476511803.jpg

As can be seen its an injection moulded kit similar in concept to the Airfix/Dapol range of buildings, however the level of detail is fantastic and includes a one piece roof, superbly detailed windows and one piece complete chimneys, and even very nice garden fencing and gates. Rather than moulded brick work, printed self adhesive brick papers are included to finish the exterior. I'm thinking Redutex or embossed plasticard may be a better option nowadays.

Can anyone throw any light on this range as to when they were made, other models that were produced, etc?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

W&H Models of New Cavendish St, London. Their catalogue was about all you needed at one time as they seemed to stock everything made by everyone at the time. Only visited their shop once for some MTK parts, surprisingly small given their standing in the Model Railway world (nearest comparison I can think of is Walthers in the USA), they were a wholesaler much more than a retailer though. Ceased trading late 80s or early 90s iirc.

As already mentioned Mainly Trains used to be my source of most bits. It seems the case nowadays that many of the small, low volume kits & bits suppliers are limited largely to direct advertising and selling which may well keep the prices reasonable but limits their exposure possibly.

W&H was a great resource. Their catalogue had very useful outline drawings of boiler fittings, so you could actually see the dimensions and shapes. That was a great help when doing conversions or scratch-building. When travelling through Paddington, I quite often detoured to the shop for a good browse, before getting the odd item I had come for, and a few extra goodies!

• RMweb Gold

Talking of lost suppliers, Scenerama are a company I'd not heard of before I picked this old kit up last year for my "might come in useful one day" pile (from late 80s or early 90s I'm guessing) from the Corris Railway stand at a show.

attachicon.gifIMG_20161008_165059.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20161008_165137.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20161008_165125.jpg

As can be seen its an injection moulded kit similar in concept to the Airfix/Dapol range of buildings, however the level of detail is fantastic and includes a one piece roof, superbly detailed windows and one piece complete chimneys, and even very nice garden fencing and gates. Rather than moulded brick work, printed self adhesive brick papers are included to finish the exterior. I'm thinking Redutex or embossed plasticard may be a better option nowadays.

Can anyone throw any light on this range as to when they were made, other models that were produced, etc?

Strange - I have just come across a couple of these kits in my 'might come in useful one day' box. I think that they may be earlier, as I haven't railway modelled for well over 40years - until I started again this year. I could have bought them more recently, bargain hunter that I am. I have a feeling that I actually made one up and it was quite hard work

Strange - I have just come across a couple of these kits in my 'might come in useful one day' box. I think that they may be earlier, as I haven't railway modelled for well over 40years - until I started again this year. I could have bought them more recently, bargain hunter that I am. I have a feeling that I actually made one up and it was quite hard work.

Thanks Phil, it strikes me they were probably comparitively expensive back in the day with the quality and number of parts, bespoke printed brickpaper etc. No contact address on the packaging. (Although I've not opened it so there may be on the instruction sheet- not that it would be much use now probably!)

To be honest I bought it with the idea that for the price, the windows may come in handy, if nothing else!

Eames - my favourite supplier of Walschearts valve gear kits to rework the chassis of kit built locos that others had botched. Someone mentioned Stephen Poole, we were part of the founder members of the Ongar & District MRC in 1974/5, apart from GER loco kits there were the exGW 54xx, and O - narrow gauge GVR tram loco kit ( later sold on to Peco), among others, but his passion was messing about with 12 inch to the foot cars :sungum:   

GEM Kits have had about half a dozen owners since George Mellor.

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Premium

In relation to Coopercraft/Ian Kirk. I spoke with the owner at Scaleforum (he seems friendly enough whenever I run into him at shows I've found). He mentioned he had the toolings redone for the Kirk 2-Bil, then Hornby released theirs and he gave up on bothering to release what he'd done. I suggested he release whatever he has in terms of Kirk coaches, even if just sides as they'd be sought after (particularly for conversions), and also putting out the Blacksmith etched sr kits he has (he said he had them all, but was given a huge pile of castings that he didn't know what went where etc), again suggested he just release whatever he has available at shows, I suspect it'd be sought after/sell. He did say he might look at offloading some of what he has via eBay though, whether he does I've no idea, but keep an eye out perhaps.

in the hope that he might be reading these posts or that someone who knows him might pass on the message.

I think he is missing tricks big time. The LNER coach range went well beyond Hornby's offering. The 2 BIL offers itself as a dummy unit to couple up with the Hornby motorised unit - if anything the Hornby release increases not diminishes the sales possibilities.