The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Don't drop a mercury barometer in Tunbridge Wells!

spikey

I was fascinated to learn this morning of somebody having dropped a mercury barometer in a charity shop in Tunbridge Wells recently.  At one time, this would have resulted in somebody gathering up the spilled mercury (a small eggcup full at the very most?) into a suitable contained before finding out what best to do with it. 

Last month, it apparently resulted in the shop staff dialling 999 as they evacuated the premises, whereupon the fire service, ambulance and Old Bill duly arrived mob-handed.  The shop was cordoned off, two firemen donned breathing apparatus prior to rounding up the errant mercury, and the ambulance crew checked that no harm had come to the staff. 

Then everybody resumed doing whatever they were doing before the Great Drama. 

Is it me, or what?

I was fascinated to learn this morning of somebody having dropped a mercury barometer in a charity shop in Tunbridge Wells recently.  At one time, this would have resulted in somebody gathering up the spilled mercury (a small eggcup full at the very most?) into a suitable contained before finding out what best to do with it. 

Last month, it apparently resulted in the shop staff dialling 999 as they evacuated the premises, whereupon the fire service, ambulance and Old Bill duly arrived mob-handed.  The shop was cordoned off, two firemen donned breathing apparatus prior to rounding up the errant mercury, and the ambulance crew checked that no harm had come to the staff. 

Is it me, or what?

I only hope you completed a risk assessment before posting the above.

I remember in Chemistry lessons at secondary school in the 60s, we used to 'accidentally' spill mercury so that we could have fun rolling little spheres of it around the benches with our fingers.

The HSE would have a field day with some of our school antics.

• RMweb Gold

I remember in Chemistry lessons at secondary school in the 60s, we used to 'accidentally' spill mercury so that we could have fun rolling little spheres of it around the benches with our fingers.

At school I remember sucking sulphuric acid into a pipette to transfer it into another test tube, what could possibly go wrong?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

A physics teacher dropped and broke a tube containing radioactive material on some chaps school bag. This gave the best excuse ever. "I have done my homework sir, but you can't mark it for the next 10,000 years"

• RMweb Premium

At school I remember sucking sulphuric acid into a pipette to transfer it into another test tube, what could possibly go wrong?

Mike.

Doing that I accidentally discovered that Caustic Soda did wonders for mouth ulcers.   Our chemistry master also used to make letters out of mercury by pouring it into a mould then pouring liquid nitrogen over them.

Jamie

We used to do that too, but in the 70s.

I also suspect that more than a few of us are still walking around with mercury fillings in our teeth...

There is a fair amount of Mercury in a Mercury barometer given that the column measures around 30 inches. As a retired Chartered Meteorologist it would be nice to have an antique version but given the reputation of mercury am not sure if you can legally sell them without some safeguards.

I once had a tensile testing machine at work that used an open tube of mercury.

There was even a small bottle of the stuff used for topping it up by turning the machine on it's end.

Back in the 1980s when things went computerised I offered it to the local school.

All went well until they saw how it worked. Hands thrown up in horror.

In the end I took it to the dump. No idea as to how they disposed of it.

Bernard

And set fire to magnesium shavings to see it flare.

No! Don't remind me.

I took a thin strip of magnesium home with me (naughty boy) one day. When I arrived home, the rest of the family were out; so I decided to light the magnesium with a match and watch the bright flame at close quarters.

Unfortunately, while my knowledge on bright flames was spot on; my knowledge, on the conduction of high heat along the strip and into my fingers, was very lacking.

Because of the heat I dropped the flaming magnesium onto my mother's almost new kitchen table and before I could extinguish the flame it had burned a neat black circular shape on the table top.

Boy, was I in *big* trouble when mother came home.

I think that was pretty much the norm back then.  I remember one boy in my class putting some mercury on the bench and dropping a text book on top of it.

No! Don't remind me.

I took a thin strip of magnesium home with me (naughty boy) one day. When I arrived home, the rest of the family were out; so I decided to light the magnesium with a match and watch the bright flame at close quarters.

Unfortunately, while my knowledge on bright flames was spot on; my knowledge, on the conduction of high heat along the strip and into my fingers, was very lacking.

Because of the heat I dropped the flaming magnesium onto my mother's almost new kitchen table and before I could extinguish the flame it had burned a neat black circular shape on the table top.

Boy, was I in *big* trouble when mother came home.

Someone I was at school with managed to 'acquire' one of those elements that are stored in oil due to their reaction with air/ water (potassium?) - he put it in his pocket. It was quite amusing to watch him running round with his trousers on fire......

Someone I was at school with managed to 'acquire' one of those elements that are stored in oil due to their reaction with air/ water (potassium?) - he put it in his pocket. It was quite amusing to watch him running round with his trousers on fire......

I recall that the same individual must have enjoyed having his trousers set on fire - a year or two later, when with had all taken up smoking, he had a bit of a 'discussion' with a PE teacher, who pushed him, so he ended in a sitting position, with the result that a box of matches in his back pocket ignited, with similar results.....

Might that have been phosphorus?

<Squeamish Warning - Ignore this post if you are that way inclined>

Going even more O/T and on the subject of personal injuries while at school; one year our sports changing rooms were being re-tiled and the contractors had yet to finish, so there were tubs of grout and boxes of tiles lying around in corners.

Whilst changing into our football kit, one of the more show-off kids decided to demonstrate his karate skills by "chopping" a tile in half with the side of his hand. Everything went well with the tile seeming to break in two as his hand came down, but then the whole area began to turn red.

The tile had not broken cleanly and a large jagged edge had embedded itself in the side of his hand. There was blood everywhere. I don't know what happened next as he ran out in the direction of the games teaching-staff and presumably was whisked off to A&E in one of their cars.

Oooooooh yes!  Just look at it wrong and it goes bang ...

Picric acid is another good one- explodes on impact. Some one used to open the windows in the chemistry lab, and put some inside the frames. This being mid-winter, the teacher would come in and slam the window shut, with predictable results. He'd then discover the same material under the legs of his chair..

• RMweb Premium

Is it me, or what?

Probably goes some way to explaining why our

emergency services are so overstretched these days,

Our chemistry teacher (Head of Dept. actually) had a trick

with an old coffee tin (catering size), to scare the new pupils.

He would fill it with town gas and light it, it burned with yellow

flame for a while, then appeared to go out.

He would say 'Oh well, that didn't work', turn to the board and

start writing, a sort time later, the lid popped of with a small

bang (having reached the right mix of gas & air to explode).

Cue lots of shrieks from the 2nd year students!

The first day of natural gas came and he tried it, pale blue

flame for a while, then disappeared as usual. He waited the

usual time, nothing, after a few mins he seemed disappointed

and started writing on the board, another few minutes passed 

and the tin blew off it's lid (which hit the ceiling) with a huge

bang! He turned to us, (6th formers) and said, with a wicked

grin, 'I'm going to enjoy the next class of 2nd year students'

• RMweb Premium

When I first started my present job maintaining and repairing medical equipment nearly 18 years ago, I was working on one of those mercury column sphygmomanometers (blood pressure meters) and by mistake I opened the mercury chamber at the base of the column. About a tablespoonful of the stuff spilled off my bench and then on the floor. Fortunately because the hospital had a significant number of mercury sphygmos and thermometers with the risk of them being broken in use, there was a spill kit which I used to clean up the stuff.

Thankfully the hospital got rid of all mercury column sphygmos a few years later.

• RMweb Premium

Picric acid is another good one- explodes on impact. Some one used to open the windows in the chemistry lab, and put some inside the frames. This being mid-winter, the teacher would come in and slam the window shut, with predictable results. He'd then discover the same material under the legs of his chair..

OK, I know this is going further off topic but that reminds me of the time someone went into a room where the lights were off, removed the bulb, carefully placed a piece of tin foil across the contacts then replaced the bulb and sat down and waited for someone to turn the lights on,

Archived