Underground Munitions depot in an APA box

Whilst having a clean out in the model railway room recently I came across the structures I made for a 1:35n2 scalelayout I had started based on CAD Corsham (or Monkton Farleigh as it is more popularly known). 

"I wonder if these would fit in an APA box" I mused. I tried them for size, and they did. Inspired by this discovery, all cleaning up stopped and construction started on a new layout.

IMG_3247.jpg

Basic APA box, I removed the floor to access any wiring and coach bolts when I join the fiddle yards.

IMG_3245.jpg

Baseboard surface is some 10mm cork faced foam core board (built in sound deadening - NICE!)

IMG_3246.jpg

The test fitting of the track. I think it works well.

IMG_3251.jpg

View of the right side. Plan is to have a blast door modeled in the passageway to the right.

IMG_3252.jpg

View of the left side. I think the viewpoints and angles show some promise.

IMG_3250.jpg

The offices in the centre will have detailed interiors.

I like what I have so far, more to follow.

• RMweb Premium

I visited the site of Farleigh Downs transfer sidings a dozen or so years ago, and explored the "underground" rooms there before venturing some distance up the cut & cover tunnel. Your model, Ian, instantly takes me back to that visit. I call it "underground" as I'm not sure it is actually under the natural surface of the land there as the mainline is on an embankment there, and the sidings, were largely on a southward extension of that.

It was certainly a fascinating place to explore, and when we were some distance up the tunnel passing HSTs sounded very eerie! Will follow this with interest.

Jim,

there are several threads re. the APA box here in RMWeb.

A nice thing to cram a micro layout in.

Unfortunately IKEA ceased production several months ago.

Until then the regular price was around GBP 15.- per box (IIRC).

The prices on the bay with E today are horribly over...

ImhO a plank of 28x14" will do as well.

Regards

Armin

• RMweb Premium

Jim,

there are several threads re. the APA box here in RMWeb.

A nice thing to cram a micro layout in.

Unfortunately IKEA ceased production several months ago.

Until then the regular price was around GBP 15.- per box (IIRC).

The prices on the bay with E today are horribly over...

ImhO a plank of 28x14" will do as well.

Regards

Armin

however they do make nice compact cameos

post-1480-0-84614000-1476222279_thumb.jpg

Nick

Hello Ian,

What a great idea never heard of anything like this before. I suppose the loco would be battery operated?

I didn't know what an APA box was but found one on Ebay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IKEA-APA-Wood-Storage-box-for-children-toys-in-white-pine-ORIGINAL-NOT-COPY-/222252127773?hash=item33bf42561d:g:GHQAAOSwYIxX3Akc

Can't wait to see the progress - Cheers - Jim

Battery operated, compressed air, I've got models of both types started somewhere. Ruston & Hornsby also made "flameproof" locomotives that might be suitable in such a location.

First attempt at creating a convincing concrete floor colour.

The styrene was primed grey first and then Woodland Scenics concrete colour was stippled on with a sponge. Once that dried, I did the same with some of their Earth undercoat. I think it's heading in the right direction. Between the tracks will make a bit more work as that needs to be dirtier from dropped oil and suchlike.

concrete_floor.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Good to see you are back to building something in an APA box, as you were the one who first found them, or certainly the first to tell us about them.  I still have some unused, but transporting them hit a snag, but I think one will fit in a large holdal I have seen( I am looking at a challenge, but need easy method to transport by train!).

How have you done the infill, as it is always tricky unless you opt for my 3D printed track. Are the points going to be filled?

Archived