Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Modern signaling system question

dibber25

Please can someone with some technical knowledge tell me the correct title for this piece of kit photographed at Barnstaple in 2009. I believe it is a TPWS grid for the end of the line but is it for incoming or outgoing trains? I'd like to be able to describe it correctly in an article. (CJL)

post-1062-0-67025100-1477387247.jpg

If it is at the end of the line there will be another one a few yards infront of it. the first one is the Arming Loop and it starts a timer on the train, after this it passes a Trigger Loop that if passed over before the timer has timed out it will trigger a Brake Application as the train is deemed to be going too fast!

All TPWS ariels/loops come in pairs it is only the distance betweem the two that differs at Stop Signals they are next to each other to initiate an immediate brake application!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

Please can someone with some technical knowledge tell me the correct title for this piece of kit photographed at Barnstaple in 2009. I believe it is a TPWS grid for the end of the line but is it for incoming or outgoing trains? I'd like to be able to describe it correctly in an article. (CJL)

It is a 'mini' TPWS grid and will be part (you need two grids per TPWS installation) of an overspeed sensor (ISS) designed to bring a train to a stand if it is entering a terminal platform too fast. Full sized grids were found to be giving too many false positives and tripping unnecessarily - something to do with the radiated signal interacting with the platform structure

Full sized grids were found to be giving too many false positives and tripping unnecessarily - something to do with the radiated signal interacting with the platform structure

Which although a 'right side' response was actually causing real problems and a lot of passenger injuries. On the approach to a platform line half the passengers are standing up, rummaging in bags, rounding up kids, coats, shopping etc, anything except holding on. And when the TPWS trips at less than 10mph the unit stops absolutely dead, none of the several seconds of violent braking but time to brace you get when it trips at 60mph,

It also meant drivers were approaching the grids really slowly to avoid being caught by the TPWS, and once clear of the grid had to apply power to get the train to its normal stopping position.  Applying power on the approach to a buffer stop isn't really conducive to avoiding collisions with it. 

• RMweb Gold

It also meant drivers were approaching the grids really slowly to avoid being caught by the TPWS, and once clear of the grid had to apply power to get the train to its normal stopping position.  Applying power on the approach to a buffer stop isn't really conducive to avoiding collisions with it. 

It was a very real problem at Paddington with HSTs in the early days as the normal running-in speeds were more than enough to result in a brake application and stopping short.  Which encouraged exactly what you have identified as a consequence.

• RMweb Premium

Still a problem in some places where the mandatory approach speed is observed over the grids but then a squirt of power is required to keep going as the remaining track slopes uphill!

• RMweb Gold

If the driver stops the rear sensor of his/her unit on top of one, you also get fun and games when they change ends.

It occurs quite often at Exmouth, where the frequent variations in train formations must make it hard to remember how far back the other end is.

John

If the driver stops the rear sensor of his/her unit on top of one, you also get fun and games when they change ends.

It occurs quite often at Exmouth, where the frequent variations in train formations must make it hard to remember how far back the other end is.

John

Same problem potentially at Batnstaple. If it's longer than 2 carriages then stop with front cab by the gents toilet. The other problem is that it's gently downhill into the platform so picks up speed.

Archived