Intercity MK4 interiors

JDW

• RMweb Premium

Hi, just a quick question, am I right in remembering that Mk4 interiors originally had a greyish seat moquette in standard and a pinkish red hue in first?  What colour were the carpets?  I'm not too worried about exact shades, but a recent hard think about all the stock I have sat in boxes that "I might use one day" or I've lept for sentimental reasons rather than because its fits in with my layout has seen me dig out a short Mk4 set, which coincided with seeing detailing parts on Ebay, so might as well go the whole way and paint the interiors too!

• RMweb Premium

There must be some official shots of these as it was a major event at the time!

Mark Saunders

You'd think so Mark but I keep getting mostly the refurbished interiors, rather than the original ones, I've only found a couple that aren't really clear.  No doubt someone will be along in about 30 seconds to tell me if I'd just put something very slightly different into Google, I'd have found hundreds in half a second!

Ok so my aging memory tells me this...

First: grey seats (think anglia/ATW first class) with as mentioned different shaded grey square carpet. The WYPTE 158s got left over carpet and there used to be a picture on Wikipedia of a 158 interior clearly showing it.

Standard: the seats were a mixture or either grey or pink, I'm not quite sure how it was determined which seats became what colour but very similar to how the seats are different colours on the mallard refurb or the pendolinos. The grey and pink were the same shades as first class (grey mk iv and pink on HSTs) was but just differing in pattern. I can't remember the carpet colour but I'm sure the sliding interior door was a red/orange colour. There is a video on YouTube filmed in the dying days of BR following train crew from Leeds to London, this was shot on the mk iv so try find it and it should help.

Hope my ramblings have been on some help

• RMweb Gold

Pinkish-grey and plain grey (about half and half) seats in standard and a darker mid-grey in first with grey carpets. There were bright red carpets in the standard vestibules when new but changed to grey as they didn't wear too well :-)

The whole thing was very 1980s bank-looking but lasted really well until the GNER refurbishments much much later.

Archived