RMweb

Airfix 48/14xx cab detailing

This has been a project I've been working on, in between other things, for a couple of years, using the Mainly Trains conversion kit. I will be using a small motor, so have a full backhead and cab to detail. What I could do with now are accurate dimensions and pictures of the bunker area. I have followed several other blogs in this respect but, unfortunately, they do not contain the whole information I need. Can anyone point me in the right direction of supply me with what I need?

Are we sure the Hattons version is actually any better?

Yes I doubt it will be much better body wise, there is so little wrong with what Airfix produced for late 1970s until you get below the footplate where it all went a bit wrong mechanicy, and have hattons produced anything with a fully detailed cab to the level of the mainly trains detailing kit.

And the best reason for sticking with the Airfix model is that he gets to do some Modeling not just another box opener!

That's all well and good but where do you get the Mainly Trains detail kit given they have shut up shop?

Khris

True, It is all well and good for the original poster, who we are advising in this thread....he has one! Any one else is stuffed sad to say unless you salted one or two away

That's all well and good but where do you get the Mainly Trains detail kit given they have shut up shop?

Khris

You can get the Smokebox door and chimney from me as 3D printed parts, as well as toolboxes should you feel like moving them. I was unimpressed with some of the MT bits, so I did my own.

Are we sure the Hattons version is actually any better?   

Miles better, not master craftsman level, but very good RTR level. 

Yes I doubt it will be much better body wise, there is so little wrong with what Airfix produced for late 1970s until you get below the footplate where it all went a bit wrong mechanicy, and have hattons produced anything with a fully detailed cab to the level of the mainly trains detailing kit.

And the best reason for sticking with the Airfix model is that he gets to do some Modeling not just another box opener!

Specsavers? The  smokebox door is awful, the chimney is awful, there's none of the auto gear that actually make it an autotank and the cab is completely devoid of anything (except motor in the early ones!) 

Here's my 1459 from an Airfix body. Hasn't progressed any further than this, I now have a Hattons 5801 on order and may modify this one to fit on the new chassis. 

post-21854-0-77935300-1477990505_thumb.jpg

The Great Western Journal did a two part article on the 48XX/58XX tanks with the official drawings in the earlier issues. Details here http://www.gwrjournal.com/index.php?o=&s=14xx&t=All&x=38&y=14

There's also Peto's Register of Great Western Locomotives: 14XX and 58XX 0-4-2T. Shop around as I got my copy recently for about £12. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Petos-Register-Great-Western-Locomotives/dp/1871608880

​I'm sure someone will eventually take on the Mainly Trains parts. By the wording on the website it doesn't seem to be a lost cause.

However many of the items are also available from other sources such as Perseverance, 247 Developments, Alan Gibson, etc.

Jason

[quote

Specsavers? The smokebox door is awful, the chimney is awful, there's none of the auto gear that actually make it an autotank and the cab is completely devoid of anything (except motor in the early ones!

Yes talking of specsavers ! Did you read my post stating PRODUCED FOR THE LATE 1970s ? Or do you not think it was a vast leap improvement compaired to what Hornby were doing then ? To my mind it stood out as a outstanding model when new, and still good

And the fact you are planning /thinking of putting a Airfix body on the new chassis tells us all even you don't think it's to bad of a body?

Edited by Graham456

And the fact you are planning /thinking of putting a Airfix body on the new chassis tells us all even you don't think it's to bad of a body?

I wasn't planning anything of the sort, I did this before the new DJM one was even announced and did a good trade in selling the bits to do the same to others, which has now dried up completely suggesting the community at large feels that upgrading the airfix is time wasted. Mine is a reasonably good model now - it certainly wasn't before I started work to make it so, hence I don't plan on replacing it, but equally I do not now think it worth building a dedicated etched chassis for. 

I started this Airfix conversion many moons ago so can't remember where I got the parts. The chassis is a high lever kit, with the satin paint finish weathered down and a coat of varnish it becomes quite respectable viewed from 3 feet away on a layout. By chance I returned to this project this week and ordered the decoder for it as well as making the red/white lamps for the loco and auto coach. Just the coach to build now.

post-9806-0-74225300-1478098994_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 years later...