0 Gauge micro layout and wagon building

Georgeham

20 hours ago, 37114 said:

They look nice little projects Chris, in my experience Slaters are pretty good sending  spares quite quickly. Hope you have a good new year.

A happy new year to you too.

yes fingers crossed Slaters will sort out the spares pretty quickly - it is great to be pushing on with some modelling after not doing any for a few months.

• Like 1

With the airbrush up and running again, I managed to get the transfers and varnish on the vanwide - glad to see it finally finished off.

Great to have another wagon ready for the layout!

20240105_074303.jpg

20240105_074320.jpg

• Like 10

Just finishing off one of these myself. Got to get the Bauxite paint on next. It's been primed but the weather has not been good. I only spray outside. You should see the colour of our recycling bin!!!

Paul R

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, pwr said:

Just finishing off one of these myself. Got to get the Bauxite paint on next. It's been primed but the weather has not been good. I only spray outside. You should see the colour of our recycling bin!!!

Paul R

Looking forward to seeing it Paul - although the weather has been awful - not ideal for outdoor spraying!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With our house renovation ongoing I realise that setting up my layout is not going to be possible for the next few months. This was somewhat frustrating, as I am getting to the point where I am finishing off some rolling stock (finally!) and especially with the case of the locomotives I really need somewhere to test run them. So over the last week I put together a small test track/micro layout. I had a 5ft scenic box spare (Tim Horn) and some odd bits of track lying around. The test track currently has no name and its use is primarily to test stock...however, over time I might well detail this before getting to the main layout. It is a good little side project to keep the modelling ticking over whilst waiting for the the time/space to set up the big layout again. I added a lighting unit to the box, although the points are manually operated, at least for the time being. Now having started I am thinking about adding some buildings......

20240114_182001.jpg

Upload (6).jpg

Edited by Georgeham
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
On 15/01/2024 at 06:17, Georgeham said:

With our house renovation ongoing I realise that setting up my layout is not going to be possible for the next few months. This was somewhat frustrating, as I am getting to the point where I am finishing off some rolling stock (finally!) and especially with the case of the locomotives I really need somewhere to test run them. So over the last week I put together a small test track/micro layout. I had a 5ft scenic box spare (Tim Horn) and some odd bits of track lying around. The test track currently has no name and its use is primarily to test stock...however, over time I might well detail this before getting to the main layout. It is a good little side project to keep the modelling ticking over whilst waiting for the the time/space to set up the big layout again. I added a lighting unit to the box, although the points are manually operated, at least for the time being. Now having started I am thinking about adding some buildings......

20240114_182001.jpg

Upload (6).jpg

Nice project to keep you busy during the house mods!

Is the opening to allow you to attach a Fiddle stick so it can be a stand alone project once complete?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bcnPete said:

Nice project to keep you busy during the house mods!

Is the opening to allow you to attach a Fiddle stick so it can be a stand alone project once complete?

Hi Pete - 

yes exactly - a small fiddle yard might follow - so I put in an entrance/exit now whilst building the little text track!

After a somewhat frustrating afternoon - I managed to finally reassemble the class 25 (getting these big diesels back together takes some doing). The overall result - I am not sure - I am happy with parts of it - but other bits less so! I am not sure the look of the loco is quite right head on - although I am warming to it. However - my first O gauge locomotive project is finally complete - so I am chuffed it is finished. It has Howes DCC sound fitted - and is quite loud after testing on the DCC test track (and annoying my partner in the process!)

20240121_194722.jpg

Upload RMweb (2).jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Georgeham said:

I am not sure the look of the loco is quite right head on

Someone on here grafted a JLTRT lower cab front onto a Heljan one some years back. Its a lot of work though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Someone on here grafted a JLTRT lower cab front onto a Heljan one some years back. Its a lot of work though!

Hi Hal,

yes I remember lots of people moaning about the cab front on the class 25 when it was released - and I saw someone did a mod of the cab front.....but I agree a lot of effort.

I am leaving the class 25 on the test track to play with this week and I am warming to the overall locomotive. Like with any model we do - we only see the bits that went not so well, rather than the entire model....but I am pretty happy to have a working locomotive finally finished.  Really I want a class 25/3 - but they are hard to come by!

Chris

• Like 2

On 22/01/2024 at 18:25, bcnPete said:

Nice work on the 25 Chris!

Been after a 25/3 myself - think this is about the only one left in the UK if you fancy a respray to blue!

https://oliviastrains.com/product-category/Heljan-main/Heljan-o-gauge/Heljan-o-diesel/Heljan-class-25-o-gauge/

Hi Pete,

yes I did see this and I thought exactly the same. However, I currently have a Class 33 and a Hymek to re-spray from green to blue - so I do not think there is anyway I can justify buying this one to languish around in my modelling boxes for ages! Maybe Heljan will release another run of the 25/3 before too long....

Chris

• Like 3

Another wagon has finally been finished off this weekend - this time a Slaters Conflat A wagon has made it through the paintshop.

I am pretty pleased with this one - it might end up being the runner for the class 03 that is slowly being rebuillt.

20240127_193724.jpg

20240127_194048.jpg

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

A little more (slow) progress.  The SR pill box brake van is getting near to the transfer stage, although there is a little more weathering to go and the inside is not yet full painted. I attempted a faded olive green livery on this wagon and I think it is shaping up nicely!

IMG-20240218-WA0008.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

This weekend I managed to get some varnish on a Dapol open wagon I have been playing about with. I wanted to try some new techniques out on this wagon and weathered this with some AK interactive washes and filters, before weathering with an airbrush.  As a first attempt using the washes/filters it is not too bad, although I am sure I will get better with practice.  I am thinking about placing a taup over the wagon (a job for next weekend).

20240330_184547.jpg

• Like 4