0 Gauge micro layout and wagon building

Georgeham

Hi George, I'm new to O gauge and have been building wagon kits (Parkside and soon Slaters) for my small layout.  Not only that, I now have to build a second small O gauge layout for my friend.  Your sand wagon looks great.

I built the Parkside LNER Toad E - just got the hand brake standard from Slaters today - and a PO wagon.  Neither are weathered yet though.

I've started a Kirk LNER coach kit.

Happy days :locomotive:

John

• Like 1

HI Georgeham,

Welcome aboard.

There are some most heplful soul`s on here,with a lot of experience and talent that will help you along in your O gauge endevous.

But it look`s like your off to a flying start with your wagon,very nice.

Regard`s,

Brian.

PS; with the brake lever down, your brakes are on ! ;)

HI Georgeham,

Welcome aboard.

There are some most heplful soul`s on here,with a lot of experience and talent that will help you along in your O gauge endevous.

But it look`s like your off to a flying start with your wagon,very nice.

Regard`s,

Brian.

PS; with the brake lever down, your brakes are on ! ;)

HI Brian 

thanks for the comment - yes I am looking forward to showing my 0 gauge endeavors and also asking for help when I (frequently) get stuck!

Yes with the brake levers - I glued one on and one off (on the other side).  I figured with a small micro layout - sometimes the wagons will just be hanging around in the sidings....so I thought I would just see how it looks....although it does look a bit odd I must agree!

• Like 1

If this is your first attempt at an O gauge wagon then you need have no worries. It looks really nice and I for one look forward to seeing some more.

As has been said before there is plenty of help and advice available on RMweb and I have found everyone who has followed the Ramchester thread very supportive and helpful when I have asked for help.

You will not regret moving into the larger scale which is far more pleasing to view and to operate.

Good luck with your new project.

Rod

The 7mm layout & modelling section has all the really interesting railway modelling activity together with help, advice, encouragement and inspiration. I expect most of us who have taken up 0 gauge have found it so refreshing to find that RMweb isn't merely front page facebook-on-rails dross. Your sand wagons is so realistic....I particularly like the subtlety of the lubricating oil merging with the road dust or rust above the axleboxes. Also interesting to read the weathering is by airbrush rather than powders. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

• 3 weeks later...

Another beautifully weathered wagon there.....super!.

I don`t want this to seem like a criticism,but i may suggest a little addition in the form of either painting the buffer shanks metal/silver in colour or taking the paint off the to reveal the metal below?,because they would be quite bright from use.

Cheers,

Brian.

Another beautifully weathered wagon there.....super!.

I don`t want this to seem like a criticism,but i may suggest a little addition in the form of either painting the buffer shanks metal/silver in colour or taking the paint off the to reveal the metal below?,because they would be quite bright from use.

Cheers,

Brian.

HI Brian,

no criticism taken and thanks for the comment - and I agree it would definitely look better!  It is one of those things I always intend to do but never quite get round too - but I think I will try removing the paint from the buffer shanks in my next modelling session

• Like 1

Cheers,

Brian.

Actually those buffers should not be silver, they were never bright steel the heads and shanks on that type of buffer are cast and were always rusty

As always use photos

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/grampuszbo/h23772693

• Agree 1

Actually those buffers should not be silver, they were never bright steel the heads and shanks on that type of buffer are cast and were always rusty

As always use photos

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/grampuszbo/h23772693

Oppps..i stand corrected,thanks!..... :punish:

Appologies Georgeham,i hope you have`nt touch that wagon yet .....

Brian.

• Like 1

Oppps..i stand corrected,thanks!..... :punish:

Appologies Georgeham,i hope you have`nt touch that wagon yet .....

Brian.

No problems Brian - and thanks for the comment 101 - I think I will leave this one alone!!!  Anyhow - have had no time at all for any modelling this week so far....hopefully a better weekend to come!

Gauge O can be very compelling.  As I write this I look across to my small layout from the dining table and realize that I look at my models rather than look down on them as would be the case if they were of a smaller scale.

I approached 7mm scale as a result of not being able to handle 4mm scale details on my locos (think lamp brackets on a Dean Goods).  Since I made the switch I have built several locos and made a start on others and a coach or two.  At no time have I wanted to give in, despite my senior status with a pinched nerve and bifocal glasses!

You will also find the Gauge O Guild to be a great club with a lot of support and camaraderie.

Your wagon(s) are a good sign of a promising future!

Thanks all so far for your comments and support - it is much appreciated and I am very glad I have signed up to the RM Web.

At the moment I am working on a couple of 0 gauge wagon builds and I will post some of these when I have made some more progress.  I am in the midst of building an 00 gauge layout and I find my motivation for this is getting lower, whilst I am spending more time doodling some track plans for an 0 gauge micro layout.....I think I am going to take the plunge and order some baseboards after xmas. After all, an 0 gauge class 08 has just arrived in BR blue.

At the moment I have a SPV wagon in the paintshop, built from the Parkside Dundas kit last summer.  It is early days in the painting process, the wagon has been pre-shaded and is now having some coats of faded rail blue applied to it.  I tend to take a while when painting a wagon, with about 20 coats of thin paint applied via air brush.  Within this I try to build the weathering in with livery applications so it all blends together.  So progress so far.......

post-30379-0-20086700-1480871083_thumb.jpgpost-30379-0-43210000-1480871091_thumb.jpgpost-30379-0-24486400-1480870937_thumb.jpg

Edited by Georgeham
  • Like 17

At the moment I am working on a couple of 0 gauge wagon builds and I will post some of these when I have made some more progress.  I am in the midst of building an 00 gauge layout and I find my motivation for this is getting lower, whilst I am spending more time doodling some track plans for an 0 gauge micro layout.....I think I am going to take the plunge and order some baseboards after xmas. After all, an 0 gauge class 08 has just arrived in BR blue.

I`v tinkered with the smaller stuff from time to time but have always come back to the big boys toy`s...that`s the lure of O gauge for you!!.

I intend to get myself set up with an air brush next year,so it`s nice to see the process that you use for air brushing.

Cheers,

Brian.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have made a little more progress on the parcel wagon front.  The main coats of blue and faded blue have been air brushed on.  Another coat of white will be applied to the very top of this before painting the underframe and a bit of weathering before transfers.

I have got the railtec transfers for this in stock - so hopefully I will get this finished over the xmas break.

A very happy xmas to one and all!!

post-30379-0-86508200-1482592060_thumb.jpg

post-30379-0-69441100-1482592065_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

I have made a little but more progress on the parcels SPV - although Janurary has not seen a lot of modelling.

So since the last post I have added a bit of white over the top of the faded blue finish, just to tone it down a little.  The lightening on the pictures is a bit harsh, but I am pretty pleased so far, it is not quite as light as it looks.

Tonight for the first time this month I have got the airbrush working again and starting spraying the underframe.  A light weathering to follow after picking out some of the details before applying the transfers.  So progress so far.

post-30379-0-45145500-1485717980_thumb.jpg

post-30379-0-10246700-1485717990_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 8 months later...

A long silence has ended and I am back modelling again after a house move!

I am currently building a slaters 13t open wagon and I am a bit stuck about which side to place the vacuum cylinder on?  I have added the vacuum pipe down the length of the wagon and I presume this is on the same side as the cylinder?  Any help would be much appreciated...... 

post-30379-0-19807200-1506843135_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

A very long time has passed since my last post!  However, I have made a little bit of progress! (I did say it was a slow burner project!!)

I attempted to add some transfers to the SPV parcels wagon - and had a bit of a disaster.  I am sure user error!  I had some bad yellowing of the transfers when I applied them.  I know it looks like silvering, but it as actually a yellow hue.  I have put transfers on a lot of wagons, but this was my first attempt at using some Fox 0 gauge transfers.  The was a nasty yellow gunge left after the transfer - it is undoubtedly user error - but I am currently having to weather this away!.

So results so far.....

IMG_6690.JPG

IMG_6700.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1