Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Unfortunate nicknames

EddieB

Regrettably you have used an incorrect preposition, your sentence should read -

'Mrs May is sending the gunboat right now!'  (or alternatively and more accurately  'Mrs May is sending our gunboat ... etc' )

Oh, do we only have the one available due to cutbacks?

Regrettably you have used an incorrect preposition, your sentence should read -

'Mrs May is sending the gunboat right now!'  (or alternatively and more accurately  'Mrs May is sending our gunboat ... etc' )

Mrs May has asked Mr Putin if we can Lend-Lease the gunboat, owing to our own having been sold to an Indian breakers yard some time ago.

Mr Putin said we can have it for the weekend, as it needs to back in the Med by Monday.

The whole of America might be different if they used British English...bit late to worry about that, though...

According to one of Bill Bryson books they do! All the pronouncements in use are the ones the pilgrim fathers took with them, and us British have corrupted them into our modern form where Theirs is unchanged !

Car manufacturers have dropped a few changers over the years.

Toyota's Fiera didn't go down well in Puerto Rico, where fiera translated to "ugly old woman".

Ford didnt sell many Pintos in Brazil where Pinto is slang for small willy.

That's probably why many manufacturers stick to numbers.

I'm not sure I would want to own a Toyota Urban Cruiser - somehow doesn't sound good.

American comedian Tom Staid has a great routine about being in bilston market, Wolverhampton shortly after moving to the uk and having a "bag of faggots" thrown in with a meat purchase!

Late 80s/ early 90s sit com "married with children" Peggy bundy's maiden name was "w@nker", imagine the amusement I found in that at age 15 when I used to watch it on late night telly

Tom Staid is actually Canadian. Seen him live a couple of times. Rather funny in places generally.

• RMweb Gold

One of the best nicknames I have come across is 'Seal Pup'.

Within 30 secs of meeting this individual.......you want to club him to death.

Rob.

One of the best nicknames I have come across is 'Seal Pup'.

Within 30 secs of meeting this individual.......you want to club him to death.

Rob.

There is someone who goes in our local pub that we have nicknamed 'Thrush' because he is an irritating ****

Well, trying to keep this topic within the bounds of railways - model and full-size - if not necessarily good taste, I am reminded of an old Chuffs cartoon advert in which a customer was bringing a "Birmingham Dribbler" to trade in.  Except in true Chuffs tradition, the advert used the less pleasant alternative nickname of "Piddler".

For the uninitiated(1) these were among the earliest live steam locomotive models, designed to be ruun with or without tracks and dating back to the 1840s (although there have been more recent copies made).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Dribbler

For the uninitiated(2) Chuffs was a model shop trading out of Lisson Grove (Marylebone) and Bucklersbury (City of London), whose proprietor took inspiration from Bram Stoker.

So the big question - does anyone admit to having a "Piddler" in their house?  (A good excuse for old railway modellers smelling of stale wee, perhaps).

Archived