RMweb

Trip to England Part 9: This time we're not kidding - Debriefing.

OnTheBranchline

We hired a car for 21 days and went from Heathrow to Maidstone on M25, Canterbury, Ashord (including The Gresley Beat Home) to Eastbourne, Winchester, Devon, Cheltenham, Chester, Durham, York via Whitby and NYMR, Leighton Buzzard, Windsor and London to drop off the car.

The only difficulty we had was a sign at a round about was unclear as it was on the side of a building and made it a bit unclear which road was the one we should take.  We knew we had taken the wrong one by the time we drove around 50metres down the road and turned around.  This was at Bishop Auckland heading to Durham.

We also purchased a AA directory before we left and planned our routes before we got to the UK.  It helped that I did a lot of hiking and studied Survey drafting in my earlier years.

So map reading is not difficult.

So driving is not to different from Oz.  Lots more traffic in the south.

The excitement must be building.  Have a great time.  Try eating some of the local fair, such a black puddings, Tea and Lard cakes, etc

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Double yellow lines in the U.K. are at the edges and denote parking restrictions, as against in some places in the U.S. where they are in the centre and denote separation from oncoming traffic. Here that separation is by single broken white lines.

Mike, in the last few years roundabouts have sprung up in our little town due to increased traffic and at least here, are known a roundabouts.  In this instance its probably due to their newness and publicity over how they are to be negotiated.  There were a lot of problems at first but now they've settled in as part of the traffic pattern and one can feel reasonably safe that you are not going to be broadsided.  While the old term exists, its mostly related to secondary streets and not the main roads known as 'arterials'

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Start here

http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/

This is the rulebook for UK driving, though it is not, in itself, legally enforcible.  If you don't observe the rules contained here, then all of them are embodied in the various laws which surround motoring in the UK. 

Keep left - and on roundabouts (traffic circles in the US) - give way to the right - traffic on the roundabout always takes priority, regardless of the road type.  Mini roundabouts can be a problem of their own, as they are sometimes just a painted circle, bit the rules are the same.

Thanks, I've been reading through. A lot of the rules are the same in Canada. Most of them are common sense like check before changing lanes, where not to park, and don't form a government by making a deal with a political party with links to terrorism (oops, too recent? :P )

If your hire car is an Audi, the correct etiquette is to drive 5mm from the bumper of the car in front so you can cheerfully wave hello to the driver. You should also signal your pleasure to see them by flashing your lights.

Try eating some of the local fair, such a black puddings, Tea and Lard cakes, etc

Black pudding is not peculiar to the UK, but popular in many parts of Europe too. And Lardy Cake is much nicer than it sounds - Lardy Cake and butter with a cup of tea is an alternative to a Cream Tea...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Black pudding is not peculiar to the UK, but popular in many parts of Europe too. And Lardy Cake is much nicer than it sounds - Lardy Cake and butter with a cup of tea is an alternative to a Cream Tea...

Decent lardy cake should not be treated with any other substance except the cup of tea which accompanies it.  The big problem is finding really good lardy cake which is not dried up or has been made too dry in the first place - buy only in proper bakers shops and ensure the exterior looks nice and gooey and not dry.

Decent lardy cake should not be treated with any other substance except the cup of tea which accompanies it.  The big problem is finding really good lardy cake which is not dried up or has been made too dry in the first place - buy only in proper bakers shops and ensure the exterior looks nice and gooey and not dry.

Mum always buttered it when I was little - that's probably why I put butter on it even now! Finding 'proper' Chelsea and Bath buns is a challenge too - too many look OK in the shop, but are total disappointment upon the eating.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We've watched enough of the Great British Bake Off (Up to Season 5 now), so we have a list of foods that we want to try.

Avoid haggis. It's bloody offal

• RMweb Premium

Can be quite spicy but seems a bit like faggots taste-wise to me (note that a ###### is a foodstuff in Britain).

In fairness I should perhaps add that I am rather partial to a plate of haggis and neeps. Accompanied by one of the finer island malts. And of a haggis supper provided it is accompanied by a reasonable 70/- ale and not by a knuckle sandwich from one of Glesgie's finest!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just a note, most UK cars are manual (Stick shift), and obviously that gear stick is on the opposite side.

You'll also find a "compact" car in the UK, really is Compact, compared to their US counterparts.

Finally full cover.. isnt... most rental companies in Europe carry an excess (£1000+) for even the most minor damage, and they will check tyres and undercarriage too...

unless you want a surprise letter with some dubious photographs that you cannot dispute, sent a few weeks after the credit card charge a few months from now, you may want to pay down that excess.

Rental car companies in the UK really are strict to the letter.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Just a note, most UK cars are manual (Stick shift), and obviously that gear stick is on the opposite side.

You'll also find a "compact" car in the UK, really is Compact, compared to their US counterparts.

Finally full cover.. isnt... most rental companies in Europe carry an excess (£1000+) for even the most minor damage, and they will check tyres and undercarriage too...

unless you want a surprise letter with some dubious photographs that you cannot dispute, sent a few weeks after the credit card charge a few months from now, you may want to pay down that excess.

Rental car companies in the UK really are strict to the letter.

Yes, and it's surprising how the initial charge which 'covered everything' mounts up when you get to the hire office to pick up the car and are told about the various cover  charges to avoid the excess and so on.  But it can actually be worth paying it as the tiniest bit of damage - such as door bash from someone else in a car park - will trigger the excess payment.  Take photos of the car when you pick it up and when you drop it off with something other than the camera date to prove the date of the latter (unless you are handing it over personally and watch the hire company check it although the big companies tend to be ok;  I do know that Hertz down in Cornwall very carefully check the bodywork on the return of large cars which have been hired by foreign nationals and driven around narrow Cornish roads).

• RMweb Premium

And from personal experience, I can confirm that if you are unlucky enough to have two bits of damage, you will be hit for two excesses -

My niece comes over from the US for a long holiday (about 5-6 weeks) every 2-3 years. She buys a second-hand car from one of the big chains, insures it (and I will say, that being a British national and having a UK driving licence helps greatly with this) and trades it in again, or sends it to auction, on her return.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've booked the future Mrs' birthday gift already (her birthday is after the trip). We're going to try that blind restaurant in London, Dans Le Noir. I know that it's something she is really interested in.

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Like 1

I went there once. It was very good, but remember to eat with your hands. And don't look at the menu before, part of the fun is guessing what you're eating. I though the dessert was lemon and it was actually raspberry...

I went to Trafford Centre a while ago, whilst marooned in the Premier Inn doing a course. Generic out-of-town shopping centre. Location is utterly hideous, surrounded by the tangle of grubby, heavily-used urban motorways, sliproads, roadworks, delays and diversions which seem typical of travel in the North-West. Completely gridlocked at certain times of the day.

Avoid, would be my advice.

You do the NW of England a dis service Sir, get past Preston on the M6 and  look toward the fells of the Lake District (clearly visible two or three times a year when there's a gap in the rain clouds) for some of the finest views this country has to offer. July is the monsoon season of course, so be prepared to put up with a little dampness on the odd occasion. August can also be a little wet. As can September. But on the plus side, a yard of rainfall per annum does make the place very green.

Best

Guy

• RMweb Premium

Ah but with manual (or "stick-shift" for our American friends) you drive the vehicle whereas an automatic only requires you to go, stop and aim it.

Automatics can send the driver into autopilot mode or lend them to be more easily distracted especially when on holiday and watching the scenery.

Nothing backward about driving a manual. It can demonstrate a higher level of skill and roadcraft. Unless you mistime your change-down with 20 feet of clutch linkage on a fully loaded bus in which case you will hear a loud graunching noise, followed by your own almost-silent profanity, followed by a cheer from the passengers. And you have to go back and pick up the bits later ;)

Before tacklng British roads make sure you can drive in reverse. Not just reverse-park, which you will have to do a lot of, but actually driving backwards to allow an oncoming vehicle through a narrow spot. No-one will thank you (and many will not back up) if you push through when the other party has right of way.

You do the NW of England a dis service Sir, get past Preston on the M6 and  look toward the fells of the Lake District (clearly visible two or three times a year when there's a gap in the rain clouds) for some of the finest views this country has to offer. July is the monsoon season of course, so be prepared to put up with a little dampness on the odd occasion. August can also be a little wet. As can September. But on the plus side, a yard of rainfall per annum does make the place very green.

Best

Guy

We've got a caravan sited near Appleby, so I know the Lakes - indeed, I've posted pictures of it on here. Doesn't affect the hideous mess around Manchester, though

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

One week to go. It's only down that it's starting to sink in. From now on, it'll be packing and checking/double checking our lists and reservations.

Also I fully expect to gain weight from this trip. No way around that given all the pub food I expect us to eat. We'll have to walk it off.

As a side note, why is the GWR running bus services from Didcot to Oxford? It's a great shame that we can't go all the way to Oxford by train from Paddington.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

why is the GWR running bus services from Didcot to Oxford?

Electrification works in progress at and around Didcot.  They are also diverting away from the main line through Chippenham for the same reason.