Just a Goods shed, plus layout...Rye Sands....

bertiedog

• RMweb Gold

One place nearby where the family nearly always had a picnic before going to the beach was the minor country road from Dumb Woman's Lane to Winchelsea, that came out near the road to Winchelsea beach, and had a rail crossing and halt, which we could see from the picnic spot, Do not know now what locos were on the Rye line in those days, but the service as pretty frequent, with goods trains as well as local passenger services. Mixed diesel and steam.

Spike Milligan lived at a house in Dumb Woman's Lane, a very, very narrow and twisting lane down a steep slope with high banks, and once as we started down the hill I remember joking that it would make a good place for a Fire engine to be coming in the opposite direction, ....... about twenty seconds later the Rye Fire Engine came up the hill from the Levels!!!! Dad's language was not to be repeated as he had top reverse a 1/4 mile! and then an inquest as to how I had known a fire engine was coming!!! I cannot have seen it as the road is deep in a cutting, so no known reason!!!

Stephen

I had a similar experience with a difference. I had dislocated my elbow in a fall at the caravan site at Winchelsea Beach. The ambulance, taking me to A&E in Hastings, slowed to a crawl up the steep hill into Winchelsea. The paramedic in the back with me asked the driver what the problem was. 'We're stuck behind the Moscow State Circus convoy' came the reply. Putting the blues & twos on - was the solution. So we got out of our traffic problem with the aid of the emergency services!

In the Channel Four version of Lucia the car drives up the Winchelsea hill, through the Landgate in Rye and comes up Watchbell, a feat of some some sort of legerdemain !!

In a 1950 thriller, the name escapes me, the wanted man leaves Rye and runs to Dungerness lighthouse, quite a feat! The other film set on the Marsh was The Loves of Joanna Godden made in 1947, which includes a train scene.

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

Back on course with the micro 0 gauge layout, the Peco track parts have surfaced at last, chairs and sleepers to match the Peco bullhead 0 gauge track. The bridge is nearly done, and parts for the lighthouse tower cut out. Track can be laid now, and tested with the 08 and some stock. The goods shed is to be modified to suit the location and then it is all landscaping the lot

Archived