Just a Goods shed, plus layout...Rye Sands....

bertiedog

After buying one of the new 08 Dapol shunters, it has got to be given a task to do, so a micro layout seems the answer, based around a Gods shed stored since it was about about 42 years ago, with the claim it was 4mm scale by the builder. The scale is indeed pretty indeterminate, but is nearer O then 00. Very solidly made in fibre board with paper overlays it needs a bit of TLC and detailing to enter service, with a new roof canopy and a few additions to the general  look of the place.

The layout will be about 10 by 3 in size at the ends, with a narrow middle section with a bridge to connect each end, points at each end with an extra spur to a fiddle yard siding. Peco bullhead fine scale track and points, and at the moment very little stock, bar a 4W brake van and three Exley coaches!, and they are three rail course wheeled so will not be used. The brake van is two rail, and medium wheels, but can have fine standard fitted easily.

Minimal scenery, mainly grass scrubland and sandy soil, giving a river estuary look to the place, no trees, just low wind blown bushes. I may do a small factory unit to go with the goods shed, something related to the nearby river perhaps. No passenger operation, just a few goods trucks etc., a little like the Rye Harbour line in Sussex, long abandoned, which fed factories along the short route to the river mouth harbour. Perhaps an excuse for a lighthouse and a coastguard post.

The road away from the shed could have a barbed wire chain link fence with Keep Out MOD signs to imply a military base is nearby, and give an excuse for a siding in that direction, through the fence, allowing occasional traffic to it. It would also give the excuse to use a couple of military men, guards, and a military truck or two on the road, with appropriate loads or soldiers in them.

The layout could also take the upcoming industrial 060 steam engine, and the Hunslet 060 that is promised.

Must work up a track plan before the track and loco arrives from Hatton's!!

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

Rye Harbour branch is a productive inspiration for a microlayout, with a range of industries, the wharf & military uses. You could use a Terrier, like Fenchurch on the Newhaven Harbour /tramway. Rye Harbour today still has tarred buildings of indeterminate age & old carriage bodies.

Dava

Right a quick outline, not to scale, lighthouse, short type on stilt frames, coastguard house,and goods shed, road and camp entrance with track in roadway. river, and bridge, some type of factory on right hand end. Access to three exits to fiddle yard storage or cassette.

Name Rye Sands

post-6750-0-94870500-1479342530_thumb.jpg

Stephen

As space is at a premium,

I think the mini layout will be folding or come apart as three smaller boards, each end and the middle with the bridge, might even make it transportable for exhibition. Rye harbour once had a wooden clad six sided lighthouse tower, in old engravings, so that style can be used, with working light of course.

Not sure of an arrangement through the fence to MOD site, common on Denge Marsh and Dungeness in Kent to this day, maybe a simple gate, or a crossing type gate, both guarded of course.

The area around the river can be sand and pebble, with a boat or two, and some small fishing huts, with narrow gauge lines to the water as per Dungeness beaches, could even have a motorised truck working back and forth on one. Could even add a small 9 mm gauge line with a petrol trolley running on it, running from the lighthouse through the bridge to the yards at the other end, an excuse for a WW1 converted trench loco perhaps the Nigel Lawton one

The bridge can be plain steel panelled girder in grey rust livery! and share a rough road surface and the narrow gauge line.

post-6750-0-53261400-1479386834_thumb.jpg

There seems a shortage of military vehicles in 1/48th or near in British types, but there is a Bedford small truck, and an Albion fuel tanker for RAF, that can be modified and both around in the 1950's period. Exact 7mm types do not seem common, as 1/35th is very popular and too large to use. O scale figures are not a problem, a couple of military ones and some fisherman and lineside workmen will do fine.

post-6750-0-81598200-1479389803.jpg

post-6750-0-53104100-1479389816.jpg

The slightly small size of 1/48th does not matter with the vehicles, figures will be 7mm size.

The 08 Diesel from Dapol has arrived along with a pack of Peco track, I think I will make the points myself, PC sleepered, as they can be buried in sand and ballast, saving finding separate chairs etc., It would be cheaper to butcher a yard of Peco to provide the rail and a few sleepers with chairs, than buy in a kit at £40 plus, as the track is £6 per piece. I may get some plain rail section as well later to recover any left over bits.

PC points are quick and easy to do, with a brass pad added under the rail to make up the height to the sleepered track, and a wood base under the thin PC strips, cut from SRPB PC boards, (I never use Fibre Glass, it blunts the bandsaw's blade).

The stock is the next thing, I have a brake wagon, a small light railway type. and other stock will have to be BR kits from Parkside or Slaters etc., and anything a light railway would use in the 1950's which gives a wide choice.

Stephen

As the shed is somewhere in scale between O and OO, it will have the narrow gauge feeding the inside, with the O gauge outside, seems a reasonable space saving move. It can have some typical black tar wood cladding added to the structure to look like the seaside types.

The layout will need aquarium sand and gravel, plus normal ballast to surface it, plus grass and pebble scrubland plants and low bushes etc, no trees to do. Huts in wood, and fishing  boats etc.,  I already have in 7mm scale.

Exact size to be worked out and possibly the left hand end reversed in arrangement, with MOD entrance at the front for easy access to fiddle yard.

Stephen

There's only a painting of the lighthouse, very vague but others like it are on the net. They seem 6 sided with a slight waisted taper or straight. One picture of the rye on shows a fixed light, likely as it is a narrow estuary entrance to the river Rother.

On the lorries, the Austin from Bandai is long discontinued, and the other is Japanese, unlikely for the MODin the 1950's, although they had ex US trucks around.

The two Airfix will do fine, I have a motor cyclist in 1/45th from C&L, and soldiers are plentiful in 1/48th or near, or 0 scale.

Stephen

After buying one of the new 08 Dapol shunters, it has got to be given a task to do, so a micro layout seems the answer, based around a Gods shed stored since it was about about 42 years ago, with the claim it was 4mm scale by the builder. The scale is indeed pretty indeterminate, but is nearer O then 00. Very solidly made in fibre board with paper overlays it needs a bit of TLC and detailing to enter service, with a new roof canopy and a few additions to the general  look of the place.

The layout will be about 10 by 3 in size at the ends, with a narrow middle section with a bridge to connect each end, points at each end with an extra spur to a fiddle yard siding. Peco bullhead fine scale track and points, and at the moment very little stock, bar a 4W brake van and three Exley coaches!, and they are three rail course wheeled so will not be used. The brake van is two rail, and medium wheels, but can have fine standard fitted easily.

Minimal scenery, mainly grass scrubland and sandy soil, giving a river estuary look to the place, no trees, just low wind blown bushes. I may do a small factory unit to go with the goods shed, something related to the nearby river perhaps. No passenger operation, just a few goods trucks etc., a little like the Rye Harbour line in Sussex, long abandoned, which fed factories along the short route to the river mouth harbour. Perhaps an excuse for a lighthouse and a coastguard post.

The road away from the shed could have a barbed wire chain link fence with Keep Out MOD signs to imply a military base is nearby, and give an excuse for a siding in that direction, through the fence, allowing occasional traffic to it. It would also give the excuse to use a couple of military men, guards, and a military truck or two on the road, with appropriate loads or soldiers in them.

The layout could also take the upcoming industrial 060 steam engine, and the Hunslet 060 that is promised.

Must work up a track plan before the track and loco arrives from Hatton's!!

Stephen

Well after your long wait for the Dapol 08 shunter it would seem that divine intervention has had a hand in this rather nice essay in 7mm modelling. 

It's surprising how many models can cry out for a layout to be build just as the main star attraction. Dapol  with this excellent model have really started something rolling here and I'm sure that when the Jinty comes to the market place it will also spur more people into the 'larger ' gauge. 

Best of luck with your new project and enjoy. ......... I'm sure a J94 in WD livery could well be justified in the future ??

• RMweb Gold

You could do worse than try Hannants - they have quite a range of kits in that scale. Some of the Russian ones could be tinkered with to get a more UK look. This is page 1 of a 1/48th truck search from their site. https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=955&keyword_search=truck&setPerPage=25&currency_id=

There seems a shortage of military vehicles in 1/48th or near in British types, but there is a Bedford small truck, and an Albion fuel tanker for RAF, that can be modified and both around in the 1950's period. Exact 7mm types do not seem common, as 1/35th is very popular and too large to use. O scale figures are not a problem, a couple of military ones and some fisherman and lineside workmen will do fine.

attachicon.gifBedford.jpg

attachicon.gifAlbion.jpg

The slightly small size of 1/48th does not matter with the vehicles, figures will be 7mm size.

Oxford Diecast do a nice 1:43 Mk1 SWB Land Rover in REME markings. I have a couple for my Tonfanau Camp layout, but what I really need are some Bedford RLs.

http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/land-rover/products/land-rover-series-1-88-canvas-reme-lan188020

Yes it is, I remember it well from holidays at Rye in the 1950's,...just where did the shot come from, as Google was stumped finding that many of the shots. More than enough detail to model to. It was a fixed marker beam to aid navigation, not a revolving marker.

If it had survived a few more years it would have been preserved and still be with us.

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

Anybody know of other 1/48th, (or near), kits for 1950's lorries or motorcycles? Cars  are relatively easy in diecast types of course

Stephen.

Emhar Kits do a Bedford OB in 1/24 4 Variants Tipper, Flatbed, Tanker and Breakdown Lorry

I'll dig a photo out of the Tipper wagon I have.

Terry

• RMweb Premium

Emhar Kits do a Bedford OB in 1/24 4 Variants Tipper, Flatbed, Tanker and Breakdown Lorry

I'll dig a photo out of the Tipper wagon I have.

Terry

Forget that they are 1/24 as I model in GN15

I'll get another beer out of the fridge......

• RMweb Gold

I expect you may have come across Paul O'Callaghan's 'East Sussex Coastal Railways'. I have 'volume 2 Branch Lines and other railways'.

It has three and a half pages on the standard and narrow gauge railways in the Rye Harbour area, but only two photos. One taken in 1991, is of some inset track beside factory buildings which look post WW2, at the earliest. The other is of a siding's end right against a slipway, in the 1950s . A buffer stop and some goods vehicles are partially visible. I can't upload those photos, but here are some more general ones, taken in 2010.

post-14351-0-75846800-1479515488_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-94780300-1479515487_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-42550100-1479515489_thumb.jpg

Archived