Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Grand Tour, Amazon Prime

jjb1970

If you don't want to subscribe, do what I'm going to do. Wait 12 months, and watch it on Dave!

I can't really see why Amazon would sell the series to a broadcast network when their original content has been developed to get people to sign up to Prime. I am not sure that some of the broadcast networks take on-line streaming too seriously yet I doubt I am the only one whose household almost never watches traditional broadcast TV...

Dave is part owned by the BBC so it's unlikely to be shown there.

Unless the BBC (or at least BBC Worldwide, who are the part-owners of UKTV, and therefore of Dave) have a really good reason NOT to allow the Grand Tour to be shown on Dave, then I would be extremely surprised if it didn't end up there in the near future. Dave does, after all, show non-BBC programmes on a regular basis.

As for Amazon Prime wanting people to sign up to watch exclusive content, that's still the case if people want to see GT (as opposed to TG) right now. In a few months, why wouldn't they want to generate a bit more income by selling the rights on to a broadcast station? It's happened before - when the BBC axed Ripper Street after 2 seasons, it was taken up by Amazon, who have produced another 2 seasons, which were then shown later by the BBC. Very good they were, too, but I was happy to wait for them to come around on terrestrial TV.

As for Amazon Prime wanting people to sign up to watch exclusive content, that's still the case if people want to see GT (as opposed to TG) right now. In a few months, why wouldn't they want to generate a bit more income by selling the rights on to a broadcast station? It's happened before - when the BBC axed Ripper Street after 2 seasons, it was taken up by Amazon, who have produced another 2 seasons, which were then shown later by the BBC. Very good they were, too, but I was happy to wait for them to come around on terrestrial TV.

Not quite. Ripper Street from series three onwards was a co-production between Amazon, BBC America and the BBC, with Amazon providing the majority of the funding.

Edited by Paul.Uni

Getting Porsche, McLaren and Ferrari to let them do the hyper car comparison was a monumental scoop for episode one that got the series off on a high.

Of course this was the comparison that oldTG didn't get. I'm guessing that lots of people with lots of money will watch this show and this in effect an advert for them. Even if they can't buy these "halo" models then the likes of Steve Cropley in Autocar are saying that the cheaper McLaren model is brilliant. I'm sure my local Porsche etc dealer will have one I can look at, and I expect it will generate a large footfall.

I did enjoy the programme, especially the various TG jokes. Maybe if they are left out then the show will be shorter as Andy Y suggests. For me I'd had enough when the piece about the new track and the M2 came on. I believe the trick is to leave'em wanting more.

Ed

I would've liked a bit more on the M2, its the sort of car that is an expensive indulgence but one which many regular people could aspire to own (if not new, then s/h).

I wasn't saying the piece shouldn't have been there, just that it was too late in a long show.

Ed

It's on FB via " infinity mods " I think.

I watched it, then realised I don t have any interest in cars, really.

James May is cool, but you can keep the others. Hammond reminds me of a court jester to ckarkson's Henry the 8th.

• Like 1

Saw Episode 2 last night and it was very much a mixed bag again.  Lots of genuine laughter, but they are still finding their way.  No surprise there as these things all take time.  Enjoyed the Aston Martin Vulcan feature although the new track they are using doesn't really do it for me.  Perhaps it will grow on me, or perhaps it's because I don't find the American test driver funny at all.

I have mixed feelings on the main feature.  It was far too long and whilst the repeat angle was OK to start, it quickly paled and became a bore.  If you can see it in terms of an action film then it was OK, but then in view of our armed forces and conflicts across the world, it made me feel a little uneasy as my interest wandered.

I think part of the problem they face is that so much of the original TG content that we took for granted has been excluded on IP grounds that they are having to fill the time by extending some of the other features.  This puts tremendous pressure in maintaining the overall quality and features can become boring or repetitive.  

I'll keep coming back as there were many funny moments and I have no doubt they will find a formula/balance that will offset the material that has been excluded.  Still a work in progress.

• Like 2

Hmmm... must try harder, it is still not as humorous as before, and a lot was expected after the good opener, but so far has failed to materialise.

If you try Youtube to see versions, hurry as Amazon are trying to remove content as fast as it is put up! No use streaming it, download ASAP.

Stephen

I agree the special ops bit went on too long. The repeating joke wore thin after the first few times.

Personally I think it would be better off kept to an hour instead of 71 minutes. But I'm still going to keep watching. There are enough laughs and enough of the interpersonal jibes to keep me interested.

One thing I did like is how they played up to the South African audience with local humour. It's going to be interesting to see if they ca keep this up as they move around the world.

Cheers

David

Just seemed like all a rip off of all the glorified Top Gear road trip segments and was the reason I stopped watching Top Gear a few years back.  It's not about the cars anymore but the presenters and silly and expensive challenges - like 'It's a Knockout' with cars.  Not surprised it's internet only - this is the way of television for the future.  I signed up for Amazon Prime when I got a firestick and got the free month of Amazon Prime but have cancelled my membership to avoid being charged as have no interest in 'The Grand Tour' or much of anything else on Amazon Prime.

And isn't this thread a bit irrelevant to RMWeb?

I think it just seemed like 71 minutes.  This one was just 58.....:-)

RMweb is a broad church and covers loads of different subject in Wheeltappers.  You can always opt out from that section in your preferences if it bothers you.

It's the variety of subjects which keeps RMweb interesting.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The special ops feature pushed the repeating gag too far which left what should have been a very good piece feeling a bit stale and flat by the end. However the Aston Martin feature was superb and the bits shot in the tent were a lot better than the first episode. There were times when the tent bits felt a bit laboured and flat but there were also a lot of genuinely funny jokes and it felt much better than the first episode in that respect. Overall I enjoyed it, a lot. Not perfect, but it is still finding its way and whatever criticisms I'd make I'd put into context by making clear that I really enjoyed the show.

• RMweb Premium

I agree.  I thought it was better than the first episode, and certainly much funnier.  The tent scenes were much, much better and I rather liked the main feature - indeed, I was worried that my teenage grandson, not normally known for jollity, was going to wet himself laughing.  Having said that, I really don't like "The American", or the track they test the cars on.  And I think that killing off the celebs has probably now gone as far as it needs to.

DT

Er... you're not advocating illegal downloading of copyrighted material, are you?

Purely under most copyright law a study can be made of any material but the whole area is a minefield. Youtube is full of mutilated films hoping that in some way it stops the copyright. Amazon are the copyright deliverer from the company that makes the films.

Anyway looking at the latest episode I wonder where they are going, and not literally, as they have not got the old spark that drove them to the insane looking stunts etc. I have a feeling it may just be the one series at the moment, unless just like TG...GT picks itself off the floor and finds a new direction. It is so much better than Evans, but has not lived up to the hype so far. To much cogitating in the tent, a boring test track, a dead boring, but fast, test driver, ...and not much else so far.......no fireworks, no caravans being destroyed, no launches of giant rockets made of 3 wheeler vans.

Watched episode 3. I think it's finally finding its feet. The modern grand tour was very much like the old TG and the DB11 is absolutely stunning. A bit more about the cars and a bit less about the stunts (apart from the last segment). The running gags weren't quite as overdone this time. The crowd in Vicenza was real but the reason for it wasn't quite how it was presented.

I tend to agree that these 3 car challenges are carefully selected and aimed squarely at the Amazon Prime demographic (who statistics show have much more disposable income) and slanted a little more towards the American audience. Whether or not you personally like the show or liked the last few series of TG, I think Amazon is on to a financial winner here.

Nice to see NYMR got a cameo in the opening credits.

Cheers

David

Just watched Ep 3 and agree with David.  Much more akin to TG of the past.  A stunning road trip down to Venice in three contrasting cars with some laughs along the way.  No track scenes, no American driver and just the three of them doing what they do best.  Perhaps as the tent scenes were shot in Whitby the underlying content was shot with a UK audience and that took away some of the the global influences that have been a feature of the earlier programmes.  No problem with that at all, it was just the balance was skewed.

Even Conversation Street and the non arrival of the star were toned down and edited to retain interest.

Certainly the best of the three so far.  You can clearly see the difference in film quality between the outside scenes and those shot in the tent.

Made me want to do that trip in the next summer or two......

Edited by gordon s