crossover with diamond using one switch

colin penfold

Would 4 pole switches not be an alternative? Would they not equate to the joined DPDTs? If im right thats the option I'd like to take.

Four pole switches would be fine, if you can get them, I don't remember seeing any 4 pole slide switches but worth a search.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

I think I might have the solution using a 4 pole switch. I think my issue might have been using the wrong feed at the wrong time with only 2 poles to play with. This is what I have come up with. I think it solves the issue of the diamond being fed correctly when the crossover is normal.

post-12721-0-49881600-1479891173_thumb.jpg

Four pole switches would be fine, if you can get them, I don't remember seeing any 4 pole slide switches but worth a search.

Regards

Toggle switches are easier to mount, anyway.

However perhaps it would make more sense to do the switching on a four pole relay connected to an auxiliary switch on the point motor (assuming you're using one!). That way you don't forget to change the switch!

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, I did wonder about that (as wire in tube attached to the switch is about the only reason to use a slide switch!) but I didn't think you could work two points at once with w-i-t...

It works pretty well. I have run the tube for each point to either side of the switch and the drilled through the plastic "handle" to secure the slider. Then the only other thing to remember is to route the WIT so that the two sides of the crossover are push at the same time and pull at the same time. That involves them approaching the tie bars from opposite directions.

• RMweb Gold

Go DCC.

Mike.

Hat, coat etc.

Whilst it might have seemed a flippant comment I'm glad Colin took it as intended, I have exactly the same situation as he has on Wibdenshaw, and wiring it up in DCC is somewhat simpler, thankfully for me as a "rats nest" wirer.

Mike.

I use 4 pole change over relays for a similar live frogged Peco diamonds on DC.  Both are facing crossover for a double track junction and the facing point has a micro switch which triggers the relay.   This also provides some protection as the last 2 feet of plain track approaching in the trailing direction is also switched by the relay which can prevent collisions unless its a DMU, Push Pull or HST etc power unit trailing.   The relays have been clicking away for 20 odd years with no problems.  

With DCC you have to balance out simplicity of wiring with ease of fault finding.   Ideally lots of sections you can flip off and re apply until the fault reappears will speed fault finding, but some people have no option but to snip wires when the fault has hidden itself well.  If you do simplify the wiring I would suggest that the power district or section is confined to just this one section of pointwork and is fed by a dpdt switch so it can be double isolated to to eliminate it as a source of shorts.

Colin,

earlier you said that all was from one controller, but your diagram shows controllers 1 and 2 with common return, so as wired shorts may or may not occur depending on which sections are swithed to which controllers. Please confirm that the two controllers have independent transformer windings so they are suitable for common return.

Can you advise which rail is your common return, the red or blue on the diagram?

Also please advise which direction is up and down on the photograph.

With that I should be able to produce a diagram that properly allows for the different sections when switching the frogs.

Regards

Promised drawing attached, I've included pdfs and the original files. The spreadsheet is in Libreoffice (but I had to save it as .xls as I could not attach the .ods file) and the drawing in Draftsight which is a good free 2D CAD programme.

Hope it helps a bit.

Burghclere.dwg

Burghclere.pdf

Burghclere 1.pdf

Burghclere 1.xls

Regards

Archived