The big Leap starts with a Gronk

PjKing1

• RMweb Gold

What length where they in real life, maybe we could build a board each and build the whole thing :D I think the inlet/outlet could only hold one loco in real life, I know if I go with one of my ideas I'd like any headshunt long enough to hold at least two 40's.

Cheers for that mate much appreciated;)

No problem, I'll have a go and see what I can come up with. Im sure somebody has look at KX stabling point for a layout, if I can find that, that may give some idea of the proper length.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Nice one Rich it'll be interesting to see how big it would be :)

I've been doing a few more plans and I came across some pics of my very first OO gauge layout I started to build before ELJ which was a depot, I'm thinking of possibly doing a raised siding area similar to what I did last time.

Excuse the early modelling skills.

6518F64D-276B-4ECA-93AE-3620B546689B_zps

22D89868-592B-46A4-A7B0-16A3113E8D77_zps

0E07F0E7-B255-4E9C-BD30-4D66DAF3D34C_zps

0876E1D1-F70C-47F8-B161-599DE993EF72_zps

I've also had a few more ideas so I'll try and post some pics soon.

Cheers

• Like 9

I wonder can I smear the 08 in oil so it smells real to ;) I'm hoping if the baby starts liking the trains it'll keep the mrs happy, I can feel a pre-order coming on today :D

Thanks again.

Get an old soldering iron, smear it with 3-in-1 and leave it plugged in under the layout - do not open the windows   :jester:

If you haven't looked at my Dock Green topic it might be worth a quick peep (use the link below). Don't be put off by all the kettles, it will give you an idea of what is possible in 16 x 2 feet. I do run some diesels but very definitely late 50's early sixties - so green or black and no yellow.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Get an old soldering iron, smear it with 3-in-1 and leave it plugged in under the layout - do not open the windows   :jester:

If you haven't looked at my Dock Green topic it might be worth a quick peep (use the link below). Don't be put off by all the kettles, it will give you an idea of what is possible in 16 x 2 feet. I do run some diesels but very definitely late 50's early sixties - so green or black and no yellow.

Chaz

Thanks Chaz I'll try that ;) had a little look at your thread before to, it looks great, I'm like Pliny forward to reading through that.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hello Paul

Just discovered this thread and I like it. I agree with the advice that you have been given; keep your 00 stuff until you have been "converted" to the larger scale and then sell sufficient 00 to buy your next 0 loco. When you need/want a third loco sell more of your 00 stock to buy it and so on until you have just a few favourite locos left. This is how I financed Ramchester over the last 6 years and now I am certain that there is no way that I would go back to the smaller scales. I am certain that once you start a small layout you will find 4mm is far too small and the bigger scale is much more exciting.

Someone told me over 50 years ago that a three coach train in 0 is far more exciting than a 12 coach train in 00 but at the time I did not believe him. Now I know better.

Welcome to the "club" and enjoy the ride. You will never regret it.

Rod

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You will need a good 15ft length in 0 gauge for KX stable. About 3 ft across, except for the dog leg entry at the SW which will need another couple of ft.

Over the weekend I will dig out my Templot plan for it for you. It must be somewhere on my computer.

Nice one cheers Derek, suppose that isn't bad for an 7mm layout, I was expecting to need at least 16' by 2'-3' so it is doable but is it to much to soon?

I'm not saying I'm going to attempt this but it's certainly interesting that it fits into such a tight space. One thing I do like is the fact it's a real location an if it's possible in 4' lengths then who knows.

From little acorns......

Thoughts most welcome on this possibility.

Cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

excellent stuff mate, hats off to you for taking the plunge, you only live once so why try everything ??

glenn

Cheers Glenn, I'll remind you of this when your bring indecisive about getting an 08 ;)

Thanks again mate

• RMweb Gold

Been searching the net for inspiration whilst feeding the little one, Saint Pancras Cambridge Street looks another easy to model small servicing area.

https://flic.kr/p/aC2cHB

https://flic.kr/p/aBhd5G

Unfortunately I don't know much about the London area, just a pity there was nothing like this around Liverpool.

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought with you mentioning Liverpool, but two things spring to mind, although I accept they are more stabling than depots. But the approaches Manchester Piccadilly had a couple of stabling sidings in the middle of the fast and slow lines, which could be something different. There are the sidings just north of Preston, see my thread a couple of pages back for a picture someone kindly posted, or Guide Bridge stabling point after the Woodhead route had finished ... plenty of 40s ;)

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought with you mentioning Liverpool, but two things spring to mind, although I accept they are more stabling than depots. But the approaches Manchester Piccadilly had a couple of stabling sidings in the middle of the fast and slow lines, which could be something different. There are the sidings just north of Preston, see my thread a couple of pages back for a picture someone kindly posted, or Guide Bridge stabling point after the Woodhead route had finished ... plenty of 40s ;)

Rich

I remember seeing those Preston pics Rich they looked great, there was a few stabling points around Edgehill, very run down and steam era (the ones I sent in a message a while back) they're very modellable but just trying to see how I can incorporate a fuelling point into it to add a bit more interests.

Here's pics of the actually area.

https://flic.kr/p/e6DqjC

https://flic.kr/p/96rc1z

https://flic.kr/p/mygjQZ

https://flic.kr/p/96Ud5o

https://flic.kr/p/8Z7Kv9

https://flic.kr/p/bXgMzC

And the pic of the green 40's on this thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4063&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Cheers

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Whilst supposedly up in the loft getting chrimbo decies down I took the opportunity to take a few pics on ELJ to compare sizes :O

CD4DB8C6-5495-4B15-BBA6-6E40852F97B1_zps

921D775C-D57B-4636-98EF-9F1977ABA7A8_zps

56F0855C-55A9-4087-95AD-1327DC2C538D_zps

11B66D06-B4F7-410E-AD19-66DF9C006147_zps

D86269B3-7D5D-4239-87F5-6E865BC16F19_zps

9F12F036-589E-4721-BAED-8D8CB62AE7B7_zps

It's very impressive so much so I'm even thinking about selling my SLW 24.

Cheers

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That's the realisation your running big boys toys!!!

God doesn't the OO look little and toylike in comparison!

Rich

It does look really small it's scary really mate :O

Cheers

So much more than just loosing a single "0"  :D

Certainly is, far better than I though it would, can't wait to run it.

Cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think I am Rich ;)

I printed a map off of the stabling area in Edgehill yesterday to see if I could adapt it for a fuelling point.

I've marked in a fancy pink pen where the fuelling point could possibly go and the fuel storage tanks would go where the removed turntable would of been.

398FF293-EA3F-4162-83A4-90C18C635B05_zps

80C1F14D-E151-46C9-8CD3-7127A425497E_zps

2E4E0918-DA4E-4E9E-AAA0-A316DADF0128_zps

01822D84-EF44-4474-920E-144349CDA6E1_zps

The viaduct to the coal loader would be removed as it was in the real location and it would have to be straightened out a bit as it's on quite a curve.

Cheers

• Like 5

Hi Paul,

I like your idea to model the stabling point. Would you be inclueding the line with the step gradient as part of your backscene?

Knowing your space constraints you may like to consider my two suggestions. You have probably researched these ideas already but here goes..

First, Birkenhead Mollington Street.. the refueling point using the new part of the shed as a backscene, it also has a scrapyard behind and is set in an urban/oily/grimey industrial area. Great for showing your locos off for a photo diorama.

Second, Buxton Tmd refueling point. A nice scene to model and an excellent photo plank.

Best regards,

Steve