Focalplane's Workbench (mostly 7mm)

Focalplane

While walking west of Penmaenpool along the Mawddach Trail (ex-Cambrian Railway track bed) I came upon this nicely preserved permanent way hut:

post-20733-0-45229600-1493030767_thumb.jpg

post-20733-0-75480000-1493030781_thumb.jpg

I have also been doing some research on line and it would appear, so far, that there are several 4mm scale models of Penmaenpool but nothing in 7mm scale.  The track plan would have only 5 points but with lots of interesting infrastructure including the hotel and station building.  Using Google Earth's measurement tool, it would seem that the visible part of the layout would cover about 330 meters by 60 meters which at 7mm scale would be the equivalent of 7.5 meters long.  So I could fit the plan into 5 modules, each 1.5 meters in length.

It looks like I may have to brush up on my SketchUp software. . . . and Templot as well!  With that in mind I may just get back to soldering brass, so much easier to do!

• Like 3

If Coachmann can have Halls at Carrog. . . . .

But seriously, the list of available kits and RTR that are suitable for the Ruabon-Barmouth line does mean that Castles won't necessarily be needed.

The most commonly photographed loco, though is a 75xxx class Standard 4MT, and I don't think is is available in 7mm.  I suppose the photos are common because the loco class was only there in the few short years that preceded Beeching.

The sub-shed allocation was usually a 74XX pannier, so the MOK kit would do with minor modification between cab and bunker, though there is also the Dapol/Lionheart RTR to consider when they reappear.  My 14XX may have to stand in for the time being.  I have been building a Keynote (Mac version of PowerPoint) file of on-line photos but so far I have yet to find a copy of the large scale maps of the station that are typically shown in other Middleton Press books.

If Coachmann can have Halls at Carrog. . . . .

But seriously, the list of available kits and RTR that are suitable for the Ruabon-Barmouth line does mean that Castles won't necessarily be needed.

The most commonly photographed loco, though is a 75xxx class Standard 4MT, and I don't think is is available in 7mm.  I suppose the photos are common because the loco class was only there in the few short years that preceded Beeching.

True.....Chasing steam suddenly became the in-thing from 1964 to 1968, so we are left with a legacy of the steam-era photos and cine portraying the railway scene when it was on its last legs. They in no way accurately portray the scene on the Llangollen route when Manors and Moguls were the normal fare. As regards GWR route restrictions, I do know the Cambrian mainline through Oswestry was upgraded to blue during the Second World War and the Cambrian Coast route in the early 1950's,  but it might be the GWR Langollen route was always blue. Because of the 4mm scale loco situation, i have merely cast my Llangollen route as red restriction as far as Barmouth Junction. This meant an engine change to continue to Barmouth and red-restriction locos could turn on the triangle before returning to Ruabon. One day I will dream up a reason!!!!!!!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

I have been building a Keynote (Mac version of PowerPoint) file of on-line photos but so far I have yet to find a copy of the large scale maps of the station that are typically shown in other Middleton Press books.

Hi Paul

PM on its way!

Dave

With the help of Daifly's map I have managed to re-scale the station layout and superimposed 5 equal modules:

post-20733-0-44083400-1493047447_thumb.jpg

I have rotated both images so that the railway track is "east-west" and then scaled them as best I could.  The red lines show common features on both map and satellite image.  The match is far from perfect but there is a significant time difference of 115 years and the shoreline will have changed, not to mention some of the man-made features have either appeared, disappeared or been modified.

Five modules have been added to both images.  I was hoping they would be 1.5 meters long in 7mm scale but the Google Earth measurement between ends comes to 475 meters.  That is nearly 100m per module whereas in 7mm scale the length of each modules would be about 66 meters.  Can Gauge O handle a 66% shrinkage?  Four coach trains would fit (longer trains possibly did not stop) while the shrinkage between buildings should not be too noticeable as they are scattered along the length of the layout and the hotel and station building were smaller than they are now.  Incidentally, it looks as though the Hotel would span two modules (and help to hide the join) while all the points are contained within discrete modules.

I am warming to this scheme but doubt if I will start building it just yet!  The logical start would be the engine shed, a nice diorama in its own right.

Paul

• Like 1

In Bill Rear's book (Scenes from the Past No.9 THE LLANGOLLEN LINE - Foxline), there are two sidings beside the passing loop and a warehouse. The second platform was added after the Grouping although an island platform had originally been mooted. The two road engine shed is a quarter of a mile beyond the station. Sadly this draws space out a bit and i wonder if this distance could be shortened to advantage in modelling scales. The fact that the whole complex is laid out on a curve also adds to baseboard size, or at least width. 

Penmaenpool closed to freight traffic on 4th May 1964. 

BR Standard Class 2, 3 and 4 tank and tender types were authorized with the larger engines on through workings, while ex LMS 2-6-4T made appearances from time to time on Land Cruise workings. 

Br Standard Class 4 4-6-0's appeared on the nearby Cambrian Oswestry route from circa 1953 so there is every excuse for using these locos on the Llangollen route before 1963. On the positive, they did work inspection saloons in the 1950's. When it comes to suitable 7mm scale locos for Penmaenpool, you will shortly have Panniers, Churchward Moguls and large Prairies.  

Edited by coachmann

Many thanks to all the contributions sent in the past hour or so.

Dave, I now realize that I used a different map from OldMaps, which is dated pre-1948.  The reason for this was so that I could rotate it to the "horizontal" without losing pieces on each end.  The map you sent has more detail which also helps to explain the other diagrams, etc.

Larry, the second siding seems to have appeared and then disappeared and by the 1960s it would appear to have been removed.  The shed sits on a loading bay with ramp and had no crane.

I am indeed tempted to shorten the space between hotel and shed.  Photos I have found confirm most of what we see on the maps and diagrams, though I have yet to find evidence of the catch points.

I don't want to contravene copyright so some of the better photos I have found came from this source:

http://dolgellau.wales/features/railway-outskirts.php

Thanks again for all the help, encouragement and advice,

Paul

Shortening Penmaenpool - a thought.

Once upon a time I knew some modellers in Texas who built N gauge modules that had common ends so that any one module could, in theory, be connected to others.  It is called Ntrak.

So why not Otrak!  Looking at the five modules I roughly drew up, see post #261, it is possible that the second module from the west could be omitted but easily added at a future date should space and time be available.  The alignment of the track would have to be parallel to the module sides, while the footprint of the hotel might have to be catered for on the westernmost module.  But it could work quite well without compromising operations.  And the scale "purists" would be happy to know that the true spacing between hotel and engine shed has been catered for.

Paul

I like the idea but it appears to be struggling to get commitment

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/136-o-gauge-modular-group/

According to Jack, the same problem befell the G0G standard too.

If you could get sufficient modellers in a district that were enthusiastic, I guess it would be fun.

best

Simon

Simon

I wasn't really thinking of this project being a group effort, more that I could add the particular module later or, once built, it would be optional depending on space.

Given my transitory nature and the location of most of my modelling in a "virtual desert" (Languedoc) I doubt if I would be a very good collaborator.

Of course, if someone wanted to extend the modules toward Barmouth Junction, then . . . . .

Paul

A very quick first pass at the Engine Shed Module in SkechUp:

post-20733-0-13645200-1493286801_thumb.jpg

The two points are very schematic (!) while the main line west should be curving to the north (right) into a cutting.  The bank of the estuary would be on the "front side" of the image nearest the viewpoint.  If the second module of five is left out, the hotel would be straddling the join, so that would mean the engine shed would be too close!  However, there will have to be compromise somewhere.

None of this is to scale.  The engine shed originally had a single track and even in the last years the home loco was a Pannier, so the depth of the shed could be less than shown, with the visiting tender loco only partly covered.  I have noticed that there is a small water tank adjacent to the front of the shed but no water column.  It may be that the water column was inside the shed though I have never seen this any where else.

Once I am back in France I will cut out some Peco templates and see how things look with curved track and how much room there is for the various add-ons - coal stage, corrugated hut, water tank, etc.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

The first two locos for Penmaenpool are "on shed" at Legge Lane:

post-20733-0-33897800-1494359302_thumb.jpg

1459 looks like it is listing over to its left so I need to check that.  It runs very nicely so perhaps it is the iPhone's lens causing some distortion.  I hadn't noticed the 2MT's coupling slot before, presumably it is to allow tighter curves to be negotiated.  They are both shed coded 89A which is a bit off for the Ruabon-Barmouth Junction line but they were both intended to be nostalgic models reminding me of Oswestry so they will stay that way.

I should add that the 2MT is RTR with significant modifications by friend Coachmann who still has a 14XX to sell.  It looks a lot better than mine and is also an Oswestry loco (1458).

Once again, though, the iPhone lens position allows for human oriented poses of locos as I remember them.  My bulky DSLR couldn't get down so low without a mirror.

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 4

How did you manage to get them the right way up?

:)

(Not an entirely serious question!)

Best

Simon

Haha, it was upside down, just like yours, Simon. I rotated it in Preview from right way up to upside down and reloaded it and it turned around again to what you now see. All's well that ends well.

Paul

I found the culprit to the lopsided 14XX - the leverage to open and close the front sanders was stopping the chassis from completely fitting between the wheel arches.  So, here is, hopefully right way up, a retake of the two locos:

post-20733-0-66488500-1494441074_thumb.jpg

OK, load and test. . . .

• Like 2

I hope Dave's read that - if you want to use you phone/pad in a particular orientation, you have to turn the photo the wrong way up before you post it...  :)

I have read it! Paul has done exactly what I suggested for the reason I said! It's actually the Apple device that's correct and the rest that aren't (says me ducking while awaiting incoming abuse!)

Dave

After nearly a week of prevaricating, spring cleaning the apartment and testing the Ivatt 2MT, etc., I finally got down to some soldering.  Only to find that I left a fret of the 20 ton Brake Van behind with a few straps that have to be attached next.  So the entire box of bits will be shelved and I will have to work on something else.  I am not in the mood to continue with the Castle chassis just now, so maybe I will weather some recently acquired Dapol wagons, plus there should be some activity on Module 1 of Penmaenpool.

Dapol wagons get the treatment.  I used Tamiya powders and some powders I bought in Canada years ago with no brand label.  The coal wagon was already loaded with coal but has obviously been used for a variety of minerals, etc.  The center wagon was painted before I obtained it but has now received some milder weathering.  The one on the right is my attempt at creating a well used ash wagon.  I need to put a few mounds of ash inside but I don't smoke and have no fireplace, so that will have to wait.  The 8 plank wagon on the Dapol box (they come beautifully boxed, don't they!) has been given an overall grey weathering on the planks but nothing below as yet.

post-20733-0-21985200-1494667539_thumb.jpg

I would like to thank the many experts on RMWeb who have given ideas and hints about weathering.  I do have some excellent North American guide books to weathering but seeing other peoples' examples has more than helped.  Inspiration comes to mind!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have been adding scenery to Legge Lane over the past week and this has prompted me to pick up where I left off with the two road engine shed.  So far I have glued the sides and end together and added the brass channels that will add strength and support for the roof.

post-20733-0-94813500-1496661943_thumb.jpg

There is no prototype for this, a freelance project, but I have borrowed features from a number of North Light sheds.  So it is a bit of a "make it up as you go along" model, using materials to hand.

• Like 8