Focalplane's Workbench (mostly 7mm)

Focalplane

There is a rather poor photo of the rear door in the 1970 collection. On closer look it could be that the wooden door is missing, possibly burned down. The reason I put a corrugated door there was to mimic the front doors, but now it seems what I saw was actually an empty doorway and the interrior of the side wall through the open door frame.

No chance to do anything today with visitors.

Paul

Looking again at the two of Dave's photos from the same viewpoint, with two locos in the shed;

The colour of the fence/gate and window frames of the house has changed from very dark to white, and the colour of the water tank has changed too - I'd guess that the b/w photo shows a stone tank and stone door, and the colour photo shows them both in grey.

I'd agree that the stovepipe needs to be (nearly) against the back wall

still perplexed about the fire - the rusting is classic from the paint burning off - maybe it was just, and only, that - if it were bituminous, it would go very fiercely, and then burn out, perhaps the inside largely survived.  I suppose it would depend on the wind direction

I remember the summer when the Britannia bridge was set on fire. 

Pedwar llew tew
Heb ddim blew
Dau 'ochr yma
A dau 'ochr drew

(Wikipedia!)

The other thing that perplexes me is the blinder/sighting board on the further signal - it appears to be "the wrong side" of the signal arm.  I assume it isn't, and it's just my reading of the photo; sighting boards should provide a clear (white) background for the front of the arm to be seen in contrast - that one is black on the back, which I guess is reasonable, but it looks like the arm would "hide" behind it, which would be ok from the signalman's perspective (which I guess the photo is, more or less) but not from the driver's!

best

Simon

Looking again at the two of Dave's photos from the same viewpoint, with two locos in the shed;

The colour of the fence/gate and window frames of the house has changed from very dark to white, and the colour of the water tank has changed too - I'd guess that the b/w photo shows a stone tank and stone door, and the colour photo shows them both in grey.

I'd agree that the stovepipe needs to be (nearly) against the back wall

still perplexed about the fire - the rusting is classic from the paint burning off - maybe it was just, and only, that - if it were bituminous, it would go very fiercely, and then burn out, perhaps the inside largely survived.  I suppose it would depend on the wind direction

I remember the summer when the Britannia bridge was set on fire. 

Pedwar llew tew

Heb ddim blew

Dau 'ochr yma

A dau 'ochr drew

(Wikipedia!)

The other thing that perplexes me is the blinder/sighting board on the further signal - it appears to be "the wrong side" of the signal arm.  I assume it isn't, and it's just my reading of the photo; sighting boards should provide a clear (white) background for the front of the arm to be seen in contrast - that one is black on the back, which I guess is reasonable, but it looks like the arm would "hide" behind it, which would be ok from the signalman's perspective (which I guess the photo is, more or less) but not from the driver's!

best

Simon

All pertinent observations!  The signal board had me wondering as well.

There is a good chance that I may be in North Wales in early September (after Telford).  If so then I plan to do a bit of research in Penmaenpool, including seeking out any ex-employees who may be still alive (Alan Buttler was able to meet two apprentices at Oswestry Works before it closed - some priceless information was gathered for his diorama).

The rear door will be replaced and I will place the stove chimney further to the back side of the building.  Which brings me to the interior furnishing.  As a shed office (and mess) there should have been notice boards, a clock, desk and chair(s) and a table with chairs.  Also a sink and facilities for making tea, etc.  Would there have been a storeroom at the back for oil cans, shovels, etc.?

These questions imply that I can now paint the building but not permanently fix the roof.

Paul

Paul

I doubt the oil was kept in the mess room.  Fire risk.  errrm?

best

Simon

Well, yes, come to think of it. My memories of visiting Oswestry and Staffird Road sheds in the 1950s was that tools and oil cans were kept in the office, to be signed in and out, and I would agree that the oil supply was stored somewhere else. Photos of the derelict shed do show some cabinets and shelving.

A very small shed probably didn't have a sign in/out protocol though.

My well documented occasion at Stafford Road was when I was caught and brought before the Superintendent. But I cannot remember much about his office, I was too busy thinking how I could leave without my parents knowing about the escapade.

I have been calling this building the shed office, not really thinking of using the term "mess". Again larger sheds would have had a wider range of facilities. I imagine this building had an all-in-one function.

Thanks again, Paul

At Lees MPD (ex.LMS), there was a brick built building away from the offices etc that stored lamp oil and cleaning oil. The riveted tank that held the lamp oil was crimson lake lined out in black and yellow like a Tender... I painted my backdoor to the back yard loo in similar fashion the following year!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

After the recent discussion I decided to do as much as I can to complete the shed office.  The only important feature left is the window glazing:

post-20733-0-25096600-1500460332_thumb.jpg

post-20733-0-29308700-1500460346_thumb.jpg

The back door has been changed to a wooden one, while two 4mm scale pendant lamps have been fitted above both door entrances.  The interior has been painted (stained floorboards, off white walls) and I have made a table/desk from plastikard and box wood.

The exterior paint is from my US collection, named Oily Black.  Brush strokes have nicely portrayed a pre-fire condition, suggesting a similar bitumen paint to that used elsewhere on the Western Region.  It would probably look good on the engine shed as well, which has yet to be weathered.

An influx of family arrives on Saturday, so the next few weeks will see a slowing down of work on Penmaenpool, though I hope to get some kit building done if there is the opportunity.

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 4

Aaagh! How can you tell these things. I suppose I can paint it white and not connect it up!

He's b****y good at it. Usually about 10 minutes after you've stuck the works plates on. :)

Best

Simon

(Dave, take no notice, keep up the good work!)

Edited by Simond

He's b****y good at it. Usually about 10 minutes after you've stuck the works plates on. :)

Best

Simon

(Dave, take no notice, keep up the good work!)

Simon

I didn't know which tab to hit so have a full set! Thumbs.jpgTick.jpgThanks.jpgTools.jpgi.jpgLaugh.jpgHeart.jpg

Dave

Edited by daifly
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The workbench is operational again!

post-20733-0-44834300-1502474019_thumb.jpg

Before the summer break I had a number of brass kit projects on the go and so these take priority for the moment.

First up, four Sidelines coach bogies in various states of assembly.  Two are now ready for painting, the other two will have to wait because I simply lost my temper soldering the brake blocks.  Well, two of the total of 32, on the last bogie.  I will come back to them when in a calmer state of mind.

Next up and on the work bench for the photo is the Connoisseur brake van.  I need to clean everything before continuing - the brass has corroded in places.  Hence the Dremel with small wire brush.

The Castle chassis can be seen waiting in the background.  This has been a joy to work on so far and the next stage - outside cylinders and motion will be added when time permits.

Penmaenpool research is reported elsewhere while a long list of needs and wants is being complied for Telford.

It's good to be back!

• Like 5

Minor changes (improvements) to the Shed office/mess hut:

post-20733-0-08033200-1502562332_thumb.jpg

Yes, the rear door now has a telephone insulator and the stove pipe is in its correct position.  The latter's position is unequivocal from a photo in the Ruabon-Barmouth book.

Still no glazing in the windows which is why the roof has not been fixed in place.

I have also been working slowly on the Connoisseur BR brake van.

• Like 3

When I worked for a living, in the oil industry, we had an acronym WOW, waiting on weather. This usually meant that sea conditions were too rough to be able to drill.

Now retired I have a new WOW, waiting on wasp (sting). My plan had been to have an early swim then concentrate on the glazing of the shed office. I got the early swim in, but while drying off in the sun a wasp landed on my chin and when I brushed it off it dug in and stung my lower lip which immediately swelled up. A good friend of mine nearly died from a hornet sting in Canada so I decided to rush home and look up the French for wasp (guepe).

Fortunately the swelling subsided but all thought of glazing windows went with it. I eventually decided to stop being a wimp and went for a walk as the sun was setting. Where did the day go?

Finally, the engine shed office/mess is ready to have the roof cemented in place and placed in storage until the module is started.  I fitted glazing to the windows this morning and also added a simple interior light (the one that was over the rear door).

Here is the latest (and probably the last) shot of the interior.  I had planned on adding furniture but since I have no idea what was there, it didn't make much sense to spoil an otherwise prototypically reasonable model.

post-20733-0-69532400-1502711548_thumb.jpg

In case you might have wondered about the engine shed guttering, I have given up looking for suitable umbrella spokes in France, so while in England I will buy an umbrella (I might even use it!)

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 4

I found an umbrella!!!

As noted several pages back, steel umbrella stays are good for gutters, but all the umbrellas I could find in southern France were really beach parasols with plastic stays.  But today I decided to clear out the car ready for loading with essentials to take to England in 10 days time.  And there was a broken pocket umbrella in the passenger door pocket!  Well, it wasn't really broken, just tired, so I have cut up the pieces and retained the black nylon fabric as well for some future purpose.

The actual gutter profile pieces are quite short, so really won't do for the engine shed, so I will be looking to buy a cheap full sized umbrella when in England - the land of the umbrella, as noted above.  But these pieces will be perfect for the foreman's house and the station building.

My modelling progress was severely restricted this past week because I decided I really needed to go hiking in the Pyrenees.  What I had not bargained for is that all my daily exercise is carried out on the flat and mountain hiking is a very different proposition for someone my age.  I could barely walk back down the mountain and my thigh muscles are still very, very stiff after two days of rest.  I just need to change my exercise regimen because I am not going to give up scenes like this:

post-20733-0-73673800-1503174440_thumb.jpg

This is Canigou, 2,900 m high, from an elevation of 2,280m, having hiked up from 1,580m.  It was going back down that was the killer.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I found an umbrella!!!

As noted several pages back, steel umbrella stays are good for gutters, but all the umbrellas I could find in southern France were really beach parasols with plastic stays.  But today I decided to clear out the car ready for loading with essentials to take to England in 10 days time.  And there was a broken pocket umbrella in the passenger door pocket!  Well, it wasn't really broken, just tired, so I have cut up the pieces and retained the black nylon fabric as well for some future purpose.

The actual gutter profile pieces are quite short, so really won't do for the engine shed, so I will be looking to buy a cheap full sized umbrella when in England - the land of the umbrella, as noted above.  But these pieces will be perfect for the foreman's house and the station building.

My modelling progress was severely restricted this past week because I decided I really needed to go hiking in the Pyrenees.  What I had not bargained for is that all my daily exercise is carried out on the flat and mountain hiking is a very different proposition for someone my age.  I could barely walk back down the mountain and my thigh muscles are still very, very stiff after two days of rest.  I just need to change my exercise regimen because I am not going to give up scenes like this:

attachicon.gifIMG_0991.JPG

This is Canigou, 2,900 m high, from an elevation of 2,280m, having hiked up from 1,580m.  It was going back down that was the killer.

Brollytastic!

• Like 2