What wagon wheels are these : 25.6mm axle length ?

I have some old 12mm diameter wagon wheels  (both spoked and disc) which have  a 25.6mm axle length. They were purchased about four years ago and they are a perfect fit for old Triang coach bogies. I thought they were Bachmann wheels but after ordering  five packets from Hattons, I discover that the Bachmann wheels have a 26mm axle length.....waste of money ! So the good wheels must be either Dapol or Hornby. I know they are not Alan Gibson wheels.

If you have any Dapol or Hornby wagon wheels  could you please measure the tip-to-tip axle length with a set of digital Vernier calipers ? I live in Cairns and there are no hobby shops here anymore. I am trying to avoid more unnecessary expense : I do not need any more wheels that do not fit !

Of course it is also possible that the manufacturers have changed their standards over the last four years in which case I am stuffed. The truck tuner tool does not help at all when trying to utilise the Bachmann 26mm axles.

UPDATE : a Google search has shown some 2011 internet postings where Hornby wheels have the required 25.6mm axle length. But I do not know what axle length they are using now.

I have given up trying to find a match for the older wheels. I noticed today that the older, unknown brand of wheels have a longer ''cone'' on the tips than the Bachmann wheels which have a very short cone. I have a small lathe so I decided to try to make the cone on the Bachmann wheels longer. I messed up three wheels before I found the solution. Leave the tips alone : they are CNC produced so you are not going to do better than that. Starting about 1mm from the end of the tip I extended the cone back towards the hub of the wheel with the top slide set at 15 degrees. This has a made a huge difference and the wheels now run quite well in the old Triang bogies. It is the profile of the cone on the axle tips which makes the difference... not the length of the axle.

post-5686-0-87806100-1480240657_thumb.jpg

1.No, they are Bachmann wheels.

2. I did receive a reply from Hornby today regarding their wheels : they said the axle length is 25mm.

3. My Hornby GWR brake vans arrived from Hattons this afternoon so I removed the wheels and measured the axles : 25.7mm !

I think the Hornby wheels are going to be more useful when replacing plastic wheels on older models but they are more expensive than the Bachmann wheels. I am still waiting to measure Dapol's wheels ; they are on order and have not arrived as yet.

• RMweb Gold

I have given up trying to find a match for the older wheels. I noticed today that the older, unknown brand of wheels have a longer ''cone'' on the tips than the Bachmann wheels which have a very short cone. 

Dapol wagon wheels usually have a much longer cone than Bachmann or Hornby. 

I have a truck tuner (two in fact) but in this case it does not help at all. It was the first thing a tried. These old bogies are not very flexible due to the age of the plastic so you have to be careful when trying to fit an oversized axle. In this case 0.4mm might not sound much but it makes a big difference ; I was quite surprised.

I have also ordered a brass reaming tool which will enable me to ream out the axle holes to accept a brass bearing. I am not sure this will be the solution but it is something I want to try to satisfy my curiosity.

• RMweb Gold

In this case 0.4mm might not sound much but it makes a big difference ; I was quite surprised.

In cases where axles have been a bit tight the first thing I try is to put the vehicle on the test track, press down gently and push back and forth a few times. this sometimes frees them up enough by wearing the surface of the plastic.

Another try it and see is to run a very fine file across the ends of the pinpoints. Taking off the slightest amount can do the trick. I have also found that some have a bit of a burr on the ends which is cured by this method.

Archived