Hornby R2890 EWS Managers Train

MarstonVale

I have just received this train pack and noticed that the DVT tail lights do not come on. Is this correct, or have I received a dud? I phoned the dealer and Hornby who didnt seem 100% sure, but they tell me that only the headlights work, but I find this strange as the DVT model in Virgin livery work.

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine today, very impressed with the DVT and the two coaches, very dissapointed with the 67.

Was hoping for improvements to the 67 lighting wise to go with the very nice DVT or the end of the printing of the TDM wiring, and the printing of the nameplates is a bit iffy-especially when the box illustration shows a seperate nameplate. ah well its more fun doing it yourself I suppose!

• RMweb Gold

may as well put some pictures up in the thread...

16032010186.jpg

class 67

16032010185.jpg

Mk3 open coach

16032010184.jpg

Mk3 sleeper

16032010183.jpg

DVT

16032010182.jpg

the train as a whole

i've deployed the loco and DVT to other duties!!

17032010193.jpg

top and tail my s-kits rhtt train, not going to weather them to match though

I cowboyed the lights on mine to add a much needed headlight. Simple process, using a redundant headlight led set from a Bachmann Class 66, I connected the wires to the marker lights to the marker light led circuit (Black to Black, Red to Red), no need for an express models kit, drilled out the printed headlight and pushed it through. And then my usual changes of fitting the obstable deflector to the chasis and the dummy buckeye coupler and some cheeky "silvered" buffers- they are intentionally badly painted to portray them "in traffic" . I wasnt feeling brave enough to remove the printed TDM wires so far, too much other printing that risks being lifted by some stray enamel thinner!

Shame I havent worked out how to cowboy some red tail lights! Photo was taken on a gloomy afternoon in the back of my layout!

post-9046-126971233562_thumb.jpg

post-9046-126971283376_thumb.jpg

I saw one for sale recently at the Shildon exhibition in the NRM Locomotion Museum. Have to say that I did think the class 67 could have been better, but then know that theres no chance of Hornby upgrading the Lima model much. They just plan to get it out there in a red box and sell it to all those stockists that just stock Hornby. Being a trainpack, some modellers will want it - and I will probably end up getting it in time. I think that the price is fair considering whats in it all, but then any more and it would become expensive. Hornby need to do more to justify their pricing. The 67 is not a new tooling and has significant errors that some people writing reviews just dont pick up. The printed nameplates I think look awful and for the cost, I think Hornby could supply name plates, as Bachmann and Heljan have done before....

Overall, not bad, but could be a lot better....

I really hoped that with the DVT's and the push pull nature of the trains portrayed in the pack that there would have been an improvements to the lights. Its all fine and dandy having the brilliant DVT (note the compliment) with its cab light, a very visable superb cab interior and marker lights but to have the 67 with no cab light, a non existant cab interior, rubbish marker lights, no tail lights and no headlight just spoils the effect of the packs that are due or out now.

• RMweb Gold

cheers steven, after looking at your previous post regards the top lights i thought i'd give it a go myself using the same method, Bachmann 66 marker lights, well impressed with the result, doctored mine though, took the lightguide and led board out of the black plastic Bachmann bit and blacktak'd them to the roof instead, made it a lot easier than trying to fit the Bachmann bit in, the whole thing fitted above the cab moulding and side glazing unit without modification to either

out of interest i notice the circuit board has 2 more unused solder tags each end of the board marked "led", i'm gonna try an led across them tomorrow to see if they illuminate the opposite end to the white lights thus giving a tail light output?

if they do then i might have ago at putting tail lights in using some spare fibre optic cable i have

cheers steven, after looking at your previous post regards the top lights i thought i'd give it a go myself using the same method, Bachmann 66 marker lights, well impressed with the result, doctored mine though, took the lightguide and led board out of the black plastic Bachmann bit and blacktak'd them to the roof instead, made it a lot easier than trying to fit the Bachmann bit in, the whole thing fitted above the cab moulding and side glazing unit without modification to either

out of interest i notice the circuit board has 2 more unused solder tags each end of the board marked "led", i'm gonna try an led across them tomorrow to see if they illuminate the opposite end to the white lights thus giving a tail light output?

if they do then i might have ago at putting tail lights in using some spare fibre optic cable i have

Im still thinking about the tail lights, if you connect the same Bachmann 66 led to the tags on the board they do indeed light up in the opposite direction via the lights on/off on DCC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just received my EWS Managers Train and am so far very happy with, the only disappointment being the printed nameplates. Model is just being run in now, the DVT seems to come with realistic flange squeal on corners :lol:

• 1 month later...

For those detail bashers out there Royal Diamond has black light clusters fitted now instead of yellow ones. Those on the model look a perfect target for a black fine-tipped permanent marker methinks ;)

Also noticed that above its right TDM cable on both ends is an extra Large Orange electrical socket, Presumably something to do with its push-pull equipment when being used with the DVT?

Archived