Iraq Railways

Dazzler Fan

• RMweb Gold

Going back a bit -

post-14351-0-93607600-1480332179_thumb.jpg

Edit:

This was one of the illustrations in an article on 'The Railways of Mesopotamia by Richard Coke, in the April 1928 issue of Railway Magazine. I was struck by the similarities with the Ixion, gauge 0, Hudswell Clarke. Although the caption says narrow-gauge, it doesn't look narrow gauge to me and someone, on another thread, said that it was a standard gauge loco, that had initially been exported to India.

Yes, especially if you look at the bottom left corner of the final picture.

In the terminus, there is a steam loco with a tender cab!

Unfortunately the front is not visible, so cannot tell the wheel arrangement.

Well spotted :)

Most likely a metre gauge 4-6-0 similar in design to those found in India.

There were also some 4-8-0s, but I'm going for a 4-6-0 on this one.

• RMweb Premium

Well spotted :)

Most likely a metre gauge 4-6-0 similar in design to those found in India.

There were also some 4-8-0s, but I'm going for a 4-6-0 on this one.

It looks as if it might be sitting on a flat car so may well be metre gauge.

I seem to remember that British Troops were involved in getting the railway running out of their port near Basra after the invasion.

Jamie

It must have been an interesting railway system at one time.

One gets numbed by the constant media bombardment of horrific images, numbers killed on a daily basis and yet, I see these pictures of people waiting in line for their train and it forces me to see them as real people again.

It's the everyday ordinaryness of such a scene, which could be repeated anywhere, that reminds me these are human beings here, that feel love and pain, hate and fear, 

oh, dammit!

Was it all worth it?

There was one running in Iraq on the metre gauge at a time which looks identical to the one in the photo http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1089785&page=2

Original photographs by Basil Roberts - see http://gwrarchive.org/site/sitel2pg/Iraq/ng/ng.php

I'd say definitely one of the metre-gauge 4-6-0s, which were built by several British companies (North British, Nasmyth Wilson, Vulcan Foundry, Hawthorn Leslie).

Going back a bit -

attachicon.gifElephanta 0-6-0ST Iraq WW1.jpg

Edit:

This was one of the illustrations in an article on 'The Railways of Mesopotamia by Richard Coke, in the April 1928 issue of Railway Magazine. I was struck by the similarities with the Ixion, gauge 0, Hudswell Clarke. Although the caption says narrow-gauge, it doesn't look narrow gauge to me and someone, on another thread, said that it was a standard gauge loco, that had initially been exported to India.

Standard gauge Manning Wardle 'M' class (MW 1673/1906), second-hand from India.

Such a shame for Iraq and the surrounding countries. I feel sorry for the honest decent people over there (and there are a lot who are).

Flying home from Bangkok via Dubai back in August 2011, we flew directly over Baghdad (they don't fly over now after the Ukraine incident). It looked a peaceful place from 30 odd thousand feet up. Little did I know then that in November that same year I would be operated on by an Iraqi surgeon who performed a quadruple heart by pass on me !!. Suffering from increasing angina an angiogram showed I needed an urgent triple by pass. Professor Yonan of Wythenshawe Hospital Manchester and his excellent team performed the operation. I went in for three, he did four as the last one was "quick & easy" (his words).He studied at the Baghdad school of medicine. A wonderful guy.

All is OK, I'm fit & well now thanks to the above, and the excellent NHS who the Tory's privatise / sell off at their peril.

Brit15

I seem to remember that British Troops were involved in getting the railway running out of their port near Basra after the invasion.

IIRC one of the objectives of the 7th Armoured Brigade was to capture the railway intact.

Cheers

David

Archived