GNR Signal Bridge

31A

• RMweb Premium

I've started making a signal bridge, or gantry, for my layout using the parts formerly produced by D&S, now in the MSE range.  So far I've made up the two base posts, and the three dolls that the gantry will carry.  The signal will be the inner homes at the three platformed terminus, with each doll carrying two arms, a full sized 'stop' arm with a calling on arm beneath to give access to an already occupied platform.

post-31-0-37431000-1480322662.jpg

But in the absence of instructions or any drawings of a similar signal, I have been studying photos of the real things.  A good source is the recently published "Great British Railway Station King's Cross", especially the chapter dealing with "The Ladykillers" film.

However I still have some questions.

The etched 'platform' (staging or landing, not sure of the correct term) is wider than those provided in the other D&S / MSE signal bracket kits, or the Ratio plastic kits.  As you can see, it doesn't contain any holes for the dolls, which allows them to be positioned as appropriate.  However I'm unsure how much of the platform overhangs to front and back of the main posts and dolls.  From the pictures of the real thing, it looks to me as though the main posts and dolls are positioned in the middle of the 'platform', in other words the overhang is equal to front and back.  With the Ratio kits, and other brass parts I have, the overhang is greater to the rear than at the front.

In reality, the 'platform' timbering is carried on longitudinal bearers that run from side to side of the gantry.  From photos, it look as though these may have been either angle iron or solid timber approximately square section, but in any case they look quite substantial.  I've bought some 2mm square brass which would represent 6" deep material on the real thing, and I intended to use for this but it looks rather 'heavy'.  I also have some 1.5mm square brass, which could be used alternatively.  Whether square section is correct or angle would be more appropriate is fairly irrelevant on the model as the underneath isn't really visible.

Any suggestions which may help with the above queries would be gratefully received!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ben, I've had a look there.  It is a useful book but there are relatively few pictures of signal bridges in it and those there are, are quite distant.  There's quite a nice picture of one at Doncaster on p.47 which gives the impression that the bearers for the staging are made of quite substantial material.  There are also some decent shots of the ones in the Belle Isle area in 'The Book of the Great Northern - Part One' by Peter Coster, which tend to give the impression that the staging overhung by equal amounts either side of the posts, but I just wondered whether anybody had any more definite information.

• RMweb Premium

No, not yet.  I thought he was more of an expert on North Eastern matters really, but might be worth a try.  I've just bought the NERA book on North Eastern signalling (out of a general interest in signalling) and thought it might help with model signalling as well, but of course North Eastern signal bridges were rather different!

Archived