Wall collapse at Wigan North Western

• RMweb Premium

Is there a trend to swing wildly back and forth between doing things as cheap as possible and inadequately, and going to the other extreme and gold-plating and over-speccing everything? What lucky projects managed to land in the sweet spot in the middle?

• RMweb Gold

Is there a trend to swing wildly back and forth between doing things as cheap as possible and inadequately, and going to the other extreme and gold-plating and over-speccing everything? What lucky projects managed to land in the sweet spot in the middle?

Olympic park?

As to the strength of masonry arches I would point you in the direction of a fellow Leeds University student, Bill Harvey, late of Dundee University and most recenlty a professor of Engineering at Exeter University.  His team has visited Dumfries and Galloway on two occasions to overload (and fail) redundant railway overbridges on the old Port Road.  I cannot lay my hands on the detail but my recollection is that the bridges were exceedingly robust and took a lot to demolish.

Ray

Wildly off-topic but Bill was a lecturer then later head of department at University of Dundee when I read for Civil Engineering there. Structures and Bridge Engineering was, naturally, his discipline.

Excellent lecturer although I can remember him doing mental arithmetic in the lecture hall and rounding everything off for simplicity then ending up with a factor of safety of 1.0 :-) The phrase "lets just call it 10" sticks in my mind to this day.

How many laughably inadequate infrastructure projects have the British done?

Isn 't it sad that the Romans could build bridges, aquaducts, tunnels etc that have lasted 2000 years, we used to build superb bridges in the 17th 18th and 19th century and now they fall apart after two or three decades. Forth road bridge deteriorates with every ping of a broken wire while the railway bridge goes on and on. What will future generations think of us?

Edward

I was told by a Wigan cabbie this week, at the station, that the problem was caused by an occupant making internal structural "changes" to the arch they occupied.  The car stored within was wrecked.  Not then a problem of deterioration.

Isn 't it sad that the Romans could build bridges, aquaducts, tunnels etc that have lasted 2000 years, we used to build superb bridges in the 17th 18th and 19th century and now they fall apart after two or three decades. Forth road bridge deteriorates with every ping of a broken wire while the railway bridge goes on and on. What will future generations think of us?

Edward

That we were a generation of pessimists that failed to appreciate the millions of successful engineering projects due to a few high profile failures of design or upkeep?  

What about all the Roman infrastructure that didn't make it to anything like the 2000 year mark?  Sign of total failure, presumably.

Just a thought.

The way that structures used to be built is relatively expensive. Modern structures are cheaper in terms of first cost and then there are usually some optimistic predictions about maintenance. For example nobody ever thought about the fact that the steel cables of suspension bridges might corrode in a salty environment. The assumption was made that the external material in which they are wrapped would protect them. Ditto for concrete bridges, especially on roads where deicing salts are used. The presumption was that concrete is totally impermeable and therefore it will protect the reinforcement. As with all new technologies, there is a significant learning curve - or failure to anticipate the obvious. Take your choice.

Slightly off topic - have the suspension bridges built after the Forth Road Bridge suffered from the same problem of corroding wires ?  I have not heard anything regarding Severn or Humber, or did the designers know by the time they were built ?

The Severn bridge has some corrosion problems which appear to be being contained by using dehumidified air blown into the cables. I haven't heard anything about the Humber bridge. I also ought to say in the interests of balance that these long suspension bridges are tremendous examples of British engineering at its best. The Severn bridge is especially innovative as it was the first use of an aerodynamic design for the deck.

• RMweb Gold

My son was on the platform waiting for the Liverpool train when it happened - though he saw nothing. Station was evacuated and luckily he was able to walk across the road to Wallgate and get to Liverpool by changing at Kirkby. Services back to normal(ish) now, but roads still closed and platform 6 at NW closed. This is used mainly by Liverpool EMU stoppers that reverse here.

Info here   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-38166611

wigan.jpg

The bit that collapsed was the old passenger subway entrance, not used for many years, perhaps back to the 50's. I never remember it in use, always bricked up at this end and steps removed. The other arches are commercial premises, one being the Great central railway themed pub (nice pint !!).just out of the photo above to the left.

There are no railway lines directly above these arches, being the old platforms 9&10 removed when the station was rebuilt and the line was electrified in 1973

This is an EMU in platform 6 looking north. You can see where the old platforms & lines where behind. The passenger subway is approx at the rear of the EMU. Still in use to the other platforms / exit to the right. The walled up bit which collapsed is to the left, adjacent to the wall.

Brit15

Looking at the brickwork on Google Streets it looks like alterations have been made previously to that arch. I am puzzled about the white bricks at the top, are they original?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5431177,-2.6337956,3a,75y,82.5h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seds57aYKtqHJmz2KWPiqpQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Looking at Google again, I hope the "Nice n' Naughty" people weren't making a disturbance to cause a problem?  :O

• 2 weeks later...

Archived